    some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch processing
    is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.

    Thanks in advance.

    Buy-N-Sell, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Buy-N-Sell

    Robertwgross Guest

    buynsell wrote:
    >I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
    >JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
    >conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
    >at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
    >good enough.
    >
    >What software should I use? Preferably this software should at least permit
    >some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch processing
    >is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.

    Irfanview.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Dec 7, 2003

  3. I would also suggest Irfanview, but there is one catch. Many programs such
    as Irfanview use the default IJG 2X2 chroma subsampling for Jpeg, and give
    the user no control over this setting. If you have images with extremely
    detailed colour transistions you might not be happy with this, and would
    need to use one of the more full featured photo editors. See:
    http://www.photo.net/learn/jpeg/index.html#chrom

    There are also command line programs (non GUI) you could use - see:
    http://www.photo.net/learn/jpeg/index.html#ijg

    Gordon Richardson, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Buy-N-Sell

    Steve B Guest

    Paint Shop Pro 8 can do this batch file conversion. You can choose the JPG
    compression ratio in the Save options. Not sure, but the demo can probably do
    it.

    Steve B, Dec 7, 2003
  5. "Gordon Richardson" <> wrote in message
    > I would also suggest Irfanview, but there is one catch. Many programs

    such
    > as Irfanview use the default IJG 2X2 chroma subsampling for Jpeg, and

    give
    > the user no control over this setting.

    Paint Shop Pro allows control of this setting.

    But can all programs that you might subsequently use read a different
    chroma sub-sampling?

    PSP also has batch conversions, and built-in scripting.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Buy-N-Sell

    Patrick L. Guest

    "Buy-N-Sell" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
    > JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
    > conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
    > at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
    > good enough.
    >
    > What software should I use? Preferably this software should at least

    permit
    > some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch

    processing
    > is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Paint Shop Pro 7 has a batch conversion utility, and variable compression
    functionality. It works very nicely on huge files.

    Patrick

    Patrick L., Dec 7, 2003
  7. Buy-N-Sell

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <pjxAb.199097$Fv8.96142
    @twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
    says...
    > I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
    > JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
    > conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
    > at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
    > good enough.
    >
    > What software should I use? Preferably this software should at least permit
    > some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch processing
    > is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Thumbs Plus gets that done for me.
    The last thing it asks you is HOW MUCH COMPRESSION?? I usually set to 85
    (scale on Thumbs+ is 1 to 100)
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery

    Larry Lynch, Dec 7, 2003
  8. "Buy-N-Sell" <> writes:

    > I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
    > JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
    > conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
    > at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
    > good enough.
    >
    > What software should I use? Preferably this software should at least permit
    > some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch processing
    > is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    If you don't mind using batch orientated command line tools, you might want to
    look into the Imagemagick tools which are freely available. I'm not sure what
    options you need in terms of JPEG quantizing, but you might want to browse the
    options, and/or download the programs.

    http://www.imagemagick.org/

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 7, 2003
  9. Buy-N-Sell

    Ron Recer Guest

    >From: "Buy-N-Sell"
    >Date: 12/6/2003 9:41 PM Central Standard Time

    >I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
    >JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
    >conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
    >at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
    >good enough.

    CDs are cheap, why not store the TIFFs and then you won't have to worry about
    quality.

    Ron
    Mercedes, TX

    Ron Recer, Dec 7, 2003
  10. Paint Shop Pro 8 allows you to choose the chroma subsampling (one of the
    previous versions allow you to). If you don't already own PSP 8 it is a
    much larger download than Irfanview...

    All self-respecting programs allow you to read any chroma subsampling,
    except some really odd ones such as 4X2 (which I have never seen). Most
    (Bayer) digicams produce 2X1 (horizontal) chroma subsampling Jpegs.

    I refer to this (and more) in my article on Jpeg Compression:

    Gordon Richardson, Dec 7, 2003
  11. Buy-N-Sell

    Donald Link Guest

    With the price of DVD burners why worry about storage and keep the TIFFS.
    Heck of a lot better for editing and the photo will not degrade from
    multiple compressions.

    Donald Link, Dec 7, 2003
  12. Buy-N-Sell

    Buy-N-Sell Guest

    Thanks for all your help folks. I've decided to keep the TIFFs, by the end
    of 2004 I'll be switching to a digital camera so the end of the TIFF era is
    in sight. What I have now already fills a DVD and a half.

    Buy-N-Sell, Dec 8, 2003
  13. Buy-N-Sell

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:58:28 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Buy-N-Sell"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for all your help folks. I've decided to keep the TIFFs, by the end
    >of 2004 I'll be switching to a digital camera so the end of the TIFF era is
    >in sight. What I have now already fills a DVD and a half.

    Heck what I have from my two digitals over last 4+ years in jpgs fills four
    DVDs.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Dec 8, 2003
  14. Buy-N-Sell

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    You may chose to keep your 'original' shots in the camera's .jpg (unless you
    shoot in .tiff), but once you manipulate the image, you'd best save in a
    lossless format - especially if you want a chance to re-open them!

    On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:58:28 GMT, "Buy-N-Sell"
    <> found these unused words floating
    about:

    J. A. Mc., Dec 10, 2003
  15. Buy-N-Sell

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 21:11:14 -0500, Ed Ruf <EG*nospam*> found
    these unused words floating about:

    >On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:58:28 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Buy-N-Sell"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for all your help folks. I've decided to keep the TIFFs, by the end
    >>of 2004 I'll be switching to a digital camera so the end of the TIFF era is
    >>in sight. What I have now already fills a DVD and a half.

    >Heck what I have from my two digitals over last 4+ years in jpgs fills four
    >DVDs.

    Don't shoot much, do ya? <G>

    Just burned disk 32 from my 22 month old Dimage 7.

    J. A. Mc., Dec 10, 2003
  16. Buy-N-Sell

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:24:08 -0800, in rec.photo.digital J. A. Mc.
    <> wrote:

    >Don't shoot much, do ya? <G>
    >
    >Just burned disk 32 from my 22 month old Dimage 7.

    You burned 32 dvds? What format do you save in? With my Nikon CP-900/5700
    I've found no real reason other to save in anything but the highest quality
    jpg which results in ~ 1.3/ 1.7 MB files. Sure I could inflate that bey a
    factor of ten by saving to TIF, but not only is there now reason quality
    wise, the time to write the image to flash memory is a major reason not
    too. I have a friend with e Diamge 7 and have sen really no reason to also
    save to anything but jpg. Now if you have saved more than 12,000 images in
    that time, we can talk. :)

    Ed Ruf, Dec 11, 2003
  17. Buy-N-Sell

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:37:09 -0500, Ed Ruf <EG*nospam*> found
    these unused words floating about:

    >On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:24:08 -0800, in rec.photo.digital J. A. Mc.
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Don't shoot much, do ya? <G>
    >>
    >>Just burned disk 32 from my 22 month old Dimage 7.

    >You burned 32 dvds? What format do you save in? With my Nikon CP-900/5700
    >I've found no real reason other to save in anything but the highest quality
    >jpg which results in ~ 1.3/ 1.7 MB files. Sure I could inflate that bey a
    >factor of ten by saving to TIF, but not only is there now reason quality
    >wise, the time to write the image to flash memory is a major reason not
    >too. I have a friend with e Diamge 7 and have sen really no reason to also
    >save to anything but jpg. Now if you have saved more than 12,000 images in
    >that time, we can talk. :)

    When I'm shooting far desert (long hike) locations, I'll often burn my 1GB
    microdrive and two or three 256 MB cards in a day. Main interest is
    panoramas, so there'll be 7-15 'shots' to an image. All at max size (5.2
    mpx) averaging 3.2 MB and max jpg 'quality'.

    One documentation of an old roadbed required offloading onto my laptop
    mid-day.

    I've not counted (precisely) but I'm well over 10K images. I'd filled a
    Maxtor 120MB external before I started burning.

    J. A. Mc., Dec 11, 2003