    Geopelia Guest

    Is there any way to turn tif images into jpeg images please?

    If I click the tif ones, they show "no preview available".
    Geopelia, Jan 9, 2009

  2. Geopelia

    Peter Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Is there any way to turn tif images into jpeg images please?
    > If I click the tif ones, they show "no preview available".

    You need image handling software, there are lots available.
    Irfanview is popular with Windows users (assuming that is
    your OS).
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    Open the tiff file with the image software, and save as jpg.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Jan 9, 2009

  3. Geopelia

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    Geopelia submitted this idea :
    > Is there any way to turn tif images into jpeg images please?
    >
    > If I click the tif ones, they show "no preview available".

    IrfanView with the plugins file installed can display and convert
    numerous file types including tiffs.

    http://www.irfanview.com

    --
    email: fierce,guppy@paradise,net,nz
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Fierce Guppy, Jan 9, 2009
  4. In message <gk8beb$vao$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > Is there any way to turn tif images into jpeg images please?

    In bulk or just a few?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <gk8beb$vao$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way to turn tif images into jpeg images please?

    > In bulk or just a few?

    Just a few. I've got them in HP Image zone, but they are also in My
    Documents as tif.
    I was looking for something like the "Save as" box, not a special program.
    I suppose I could email them to myself and see if there is a "save as" box
    there, but would they save as tif or jpeg?
    -----
    I've just tried that, but it goes into Instant Share, not email.
    Geopelia, Jan 10, 2009
  6. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    >> In message <gk8beb$vao$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there any way to turn tif images into jpeg images please?

    >> In bulk or just a few?

    > Just a few. I've got them in HP Image zone, but they are also in My
    > Documents as tif.
    > I was looking for something like the "Save as" box, not a special program.
    > I suppose I could email them to myself and see if there is a "save as" box
    > there, but would they save as tif or jpeg?

    Windows Paint should be capable of opening a .tif and then saving it as
    a .jpg
    You'll find it in

    Start--> All Programs --> Accessories --> Paint
    EMB, Jan 10, 2009
  7. In message <gk93qn$sn7$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >> In message <gk8beb$vao$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there any way to turn tif images into jpeg images please?

    >> In bulk or just a few?

    > Just a few. I've got them in HP Image zone, but they are also in My
    > Documents as tif.
    > I was looking for something like the "Save as" box, not a special program.
    > I suppose I could email them to myself and see if there is a "save as" box
    > there, but would they save as tif or jpeg?

    Your e-mail client isn't going to convert attachments between different
    graphics formats.

    Try Gimp <http://gimp.org/>. It's Free Software.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:49682490$...
    > Geopelia wrote:

    >>> In bulk or just a few?

    >> Just a few. I've got them in HP Image zone, but they are also in My
    >> Documents as tif.
    >> I was looking for something like the "Save as" box, not a special
    >> program.
    >> I suppose I could email them to myself and see if there is a "save as"
    >> box there, but would they save as tif or jpeg?

    > Windows Paint should be capable of opening a .tif and then saving it as a
    > .jpg
    > You'll find it in
    >
    > Start--> All Programs --> Accessories --> Paint

    I tried that and managed to get a jpeg picture into paint. I tried tif but
    got "paint cannot read this file etc"

    Still, I've learnt a bit more about paint.
    Thank you.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jan 10, 2009
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Is there any way to turn tif images into jpeg images please?
    >> If I click the tif ones, they show "no preview available".

    > You need image handling software, there are lots available.
    > Irfanview is popular with Windows users (assuming that is
    > your OS).
    > http://www.irfanview.com/
    >
    > Open the tiff file with the image software, and save as jpg.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    Thank you, but I don't know enough to start adding software.
    I would have to get the computer man.
    Geopelia, Jan 10, 2009
  10. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message news:49682490$...
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >>> Just a few. I've got them in HP Image zone, but they are also in My
    >>> Documents as tif.
    >>> I was looking for something like the "Save as" box, not a special
    >>> program.
    >>> I suppose I could email them to myself and see if there is a "save as"
    >>> box there, but would they save as tif or jpeg?

    >> Windows Paint should be capable of opening a .tif and then saving it as a
    >> .jpg
    >> You'll find it in
    >>
    >> Start--> All Programs --> Accessories --> Paint

    > I tried that and managed to get a jpeg picture into paint. I tried tif but
    > got "paint cannot read this file etc"
    >
    > Still, I've learnt a bit more about paint.
    > Thank you.

    What version of Windows are you running Geo?
    EMB, Jan 10, 2009
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:49688603$...
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> Windows Paint should be capable of opening a .tif and then saving it as
    >>> a .jpg
    >>> You'll find it in
    >>>
    >>> Start--> All Programs --> Accessories --> Paint

    >> I tried that and managed to get a jpeg picture into paint. I tried tif
    >> but got "paint cannot read this file etc"
    >>
    >> Still, I've learnt a bit more about paint.
    >> Thank you.

    > What version of Windows are you running Geo?

    XP.
    Geopelia, Jan 10, 2009
  12. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message news:49688603$...
    >> What version of Windows are you running Geo?

    > XP.

    Paint in XP will happily open .tif files. I suspect the file you are
    trying to open may be corrupted.
    EMB, Jan 10, 2009
  13. Geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:19:09 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> Is there any way to turn tif images into jpeg images please? If I click
    >>> the tif ones, they show "no preview available".

    >> You need image handling software, there are lots available. Irfanview is
    >> popular with Windows users (assuming that is your OS).
    >> http://www.irfanview.com/
    >>
    >> Open the tiff file with the image software, and save as jpg.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>

    > Thank you, but I don't know enough to start adding software. I would have
    > to get the computer man.

    Are you referring to .tif images sent to you as email attachments - and
    you cannot view them in your email client?

    If so, just right-click the attachment file name and save to your desktop
    or wherever you want, on your pc. Quit your email program then and locate
    the .tif files, double-click their icons. There's a good chance that
    you'll already have a program installed that will open them.

    If not... ask whoever sent them to you, to resend them as .jpg.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Jan 10, 2009
  14. On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:13:47 +1300, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >"EMB" <> wrote in message news:49682490$...
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >>> Just a few. I've got them in HP Image zone, but they are also in My
    >>> Documents as tif.
    >>> I was looking for something like the "Save as" box, not a special
    >>> program.
    >>> I suppose I could email them to myself and see if there is a "save as"
    >>> box there, but would they save as tif or jpeg?

    >> Windows Paint should be capable of opening a .tif and then saving it as a
    >> .jpg
    >> You'll find it in
    >>
    >> Start--> All Programs --> Accessories --> Paint

    >I tried that and managed to get a jpeg picture into paint. I tried tif but
    >got "paint cannot read this file etc"
    >
    >Still, I've learnt a bit more about paint.
    >Thank you.
    >
    >Geopelia

    Geo, I go to a folder, start a new folder and name it then minimise the screen view and drag the
    said folder off onto desktop screen. When I've finished transferring/working with the pix, I will
    then find the right main folder to drag them back to or, start a new one up.

    Presently, I have 5 folders going that I am dragging photos of each individual animal we have into
    from the Kodak shareware programme.

    When done, I will make a new master folder and drag each animals' folder into that.

    Have learnt my lesson since adding a new external hard drive. Work your stuff constantly! I
    have so much stuff spread out in various folders it's a headache sorting everything where it should
    have been in the first place!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jan 10, 2009
  15. Geopelia

    Peter Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > Thank you, but I don't know enough to start adding software.
    > I would have to get the computer man.

    ok

    Next time your computer man is around, get him to install irfanview.

    In the meantime, you could ask whoever sent you those images to send in
    jpg format. Otherwise, if you have a friend with the right software, copy
    them to a memory stick and get them converted on their computer.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Jan 10, 2009
  16. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:19:09 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You need image handling software, there are lots available. Irfanview is
    >>> popular with Windows users (assuming that is your OS).
    >>> http://www.irfanview.com/
    >>>
    >>> Open the tiff file with the image software, and save as jpg.
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>>

    >> Thank you, but I don't know enough to start adding software. I would have
    >> to get the computer man.

    > Are you referring to .tif images sent to you as email attachments - and
    > you cannot view them in your email client?
    >
    > If so, just right-click the attachment file name and save to your desktop
    > or wherever you want, on your pc. Quit your email program then and locate
    > the .tif files, double-click their icons. There's a good chance that
    > you'll already have a program installed that will open them.
    >
    > If not... ask whoever sent them to you, to resend them as .jpg.

    They are pictures I have scanned with HP Image Zone.

    I'll try rescanning them and see if I can get them into jpeg. I've got them
    in Image Zone, but they are also in My Documents as tif.
    Geopelia, Jan 10, 2009
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >>>

    >> Thank you, but I don't know enough to start adding software.
    >> I would have to get the computer man.

    > ok
    >
    > Next time your computer man is around, get him to install irfanview.
    >
    > In the meantime, you could ask whoever sent you those images to send in
    > jpg format. Otherwise, if you have a friend with the right software, copy
    > them to a memory stick and get them converted on their computer.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    They are pictures I have scanned with HP.

    I'll see what the computer man thinks next time he is here.
    Thank you.
    Geopelia, Jan 10, 2009
  18. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    <texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:13:47 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> Windows Paint should be capable of opening a .tif and then saving it as
    >>> .jpg
    >>> You'll find it in
    >>>
    >>> Start--> All Programs --> Accessories --> Paint

    >>I tried that and managed to get a jpeg picture into paint. I tried tif
    >>but
    >>got "paint cannot read this file etc"
    >>
    >>Still, I've learnt a bit more about paint.
    >>Thank you.
    >>
    >>Geopelia
    >>

    > Geo, I go to a folder, start a new folder and name it then minimise the
    > screen view and drag the
    > said folder off onto desktop screen. When I've finished
    > transferring/working with the pix, I will
    > then find the right main folder to drag them back to or, start a new one
    > up.
    >
    > Presently, I have 5 folders going that I am dragging photos of each
    > individual animal we have into
    > from the Kodak shareware programme.
    >
    > When done, I will make a new master folder and drag each animals' folder
    > into that.
    >
    > Have learnt my lesson since adding a new external hard drive. Work your
    > stuff constantly! I
    > have so much stuff spread out in various folders it's a headache sorting
    > everything where it should
    > have been in the first place!
    >
    > Cath

    Thank you. That sounds rather complicated for me. I usually just use Ctrl +
    C and Ctrl+V for moving things around.
    Geopelia, Jan 10, 2009
  19. Geopelia

    Peter Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > They are pictures I have scanned with HP.

    The HP scanner should have come with software that can convert from
    tiff to jpg. Otherwise, there should be options to scan into jpg format
    (instead of tiff).

    If you can advise the model of your scanner, someone here might
    know a bit more detail of what it can do.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Jan 10, 2009
  20. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> They are pictures I have scanned with HP.

    > The HP scanner should have come with software that can convert from
    > tiff to jpg. Otherwise, there should be options to scan into jpg format
    > (instead of tiff).
    >
    > If you can advise the model of your scanner, someone here might
    > know a bit more detail of what it can do.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    hp psc 1315 all in one. I'll try scanning something again and see if jpeg
    is one of the options.
    I've got the instruction book and Image Zone Help but it all seems very
    complicated.
    Geopelia, Jan 10, 2009