    shouldn't all 5 channels be mixed into two? Shouldn't I still be able to
    hear them all? On my other DVD player, I can in fact hear all 5.
    , May 17, 2004

  2. Biz Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:40a8c088$0$31680$...
    > I have plugged a DVD player into a stereo TV using the L/R RCA outputs
    > from the DVD player.
    >
    > The star wars dvds come with THX optimizer... and one of the tests is a
    > speaker test where each speaker lights up on screen and you hear it from
    > the correct one if you have a 5.1 system. However I can only hear left
    > right and center. Rear two are silent. I know I'm only using stereo but
    > shouldn't all 5 channels be mixed into two? Shouldn't I still be able to
    > hear them all? On my other DVD player, I can in fact hear all 5.

    If I read your post correctly, wouldn't that suggest a problem with that
    player then? ANd if that is the case, you would need to provide make &
    model for any suggestions.
    Biz, May 17, 2004

  3. Italo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have plugged a DVD player into a stereo TV using the L/R RCA outputs
    > from the DVD player.
    >
    > The star wars dvds come with THX optimizer... and one of the tests is a
    > speaker test where each speaker lights up on screen and you hear it from
    > the correct one if you have a 5.1 system. However I can only hear left
    > right and center. Rear two are silent. I know I'm only using stereo but
    > shouldn't all 5 channels be mixed into two? Shouldn't I still be able to
    > hear them all? On my other DVD player, I can in fact hear all 5.

    Don't you think it's a contradiction in terms to be running a 5.1 speaker
    test but only having the DVD player output stereo?

    Does your TV have 5.1 speakers either inbuilt or external?

    The 5.1 audio tests on a THX disc are specifically designed for a
    DVD/AMP/5.1 surround speaker package, not to be used for any other
    configuration.

    --
    Italo
    Italo, May 17, 2004
  4. >The star wars dvds come with THX optimizer... and one of the tests is a
    >speaker test where each speaker lights up on screen and you hear it from
    >the correct one if you have a 5.1 system. However I can only hear left
    >right and center. Rear two are silent.

    If you are able, set the audio options on your DVD player itself within its
    configuration menu. For downmix option, select "Dolby Surround." This sets
    your DVD player to perform the 5.1 downmix into 2.0 to allow use with Pro-Logic
    equipment. This means that the rear channels will become audible in regular
    stereo and can also be matrix-decoded for the rear speakers when processed with
    Pro-Logic equipment. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, May 18, 2004
  5. David Sauer Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 23:39:26 +1000, wrote:

    >I have plugged a DVD player into a stereo TV using the L/R RCA outputs
    >from the DVD player.
    >
    >The star wars dvds come with THX optimizer... and one of the tests is a
    >speaker test where each speaker lights up on screen and you hear it from
    >the correct one if you have a 5.1 system. However I can only hear left
    >right and center. Rear two are silent. I know I'm only using stereo but
    >shouldn't all 5 channels be mixed into two? Shouldn't I still be able to
    >hear them all? On my other DVD player, I can in fact hear all 5.

    You would think that the rears should still be active when it's
    downmixed to 2.0 audio. Sounds like the DVD player setup.

    Obviously it's properly converting the centre channel OK.
    David Sauer, May 18, 2004
  6. Guest

    The player is a Pioneer DV-266.

    I listened again and I can just faintly hear the surrounds extremely
    quietly with the TV volume very high.

    I've tried all the options I can see and there's no solution. There
    doesn't actually seem to be any analogue audio options at all, it
    doesn't have an inbuilt decoder or anything, just L/R outputs.
    Quite strange, in my opinion. This means someone with a Prologic system
    couldn't get surround. I wonder how many other supposedly reputable
    players can't even downmix properly?
    , May 19, 2004
  7. Biz Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > The player is a Pioneer DV-266.
    >
    > I listened again and I can just faintly hear the surrounds extremely
    > quietly with the TV volume very high.
    >
    > I've tried all the options I can see and there's no solution. There
    > doesn't actually seem to be any analogue audio options at all, it
    > doesn't have an inbuilt decoder or anything, just L/R outputs.
    > Quite strange, in my opinion. This means someone with a Prologic system
    > couldn't get surround.

    No thats not what it means. If you had a full Pro-logic setup, you would
    choose the DD2.0 track where available, and DPL is matrixed from 2 channels
    anyway...

    Biz, May 19, 2004
  8. Guest

    Pioneer 5.1 -> 2.0 downconversion

    From the DVD consortium website:

    "I do not own a Dolby Digital Surround AC-3 receiver. Can I still
    enjoy my Home Theater audio system with DVD?

    Yes, every DVD player currently on the market has analog (Left and
    Right) audio outputs that you can connect to your Dolby Surround Sound,
    or Pro-Logic receiver. The analog audio outputs of your DVD player
    passes through specially encoded Dolby Surround Sound signals."

    Therefore Pioneer is failing to comply with the dvd standards if it is
    not downmixing the sound properly...

  9. Italo Guest

    Re: Pioneer 5.1 -> 2.0 downconversion

    <> wrote in message

    > Therefore Pioneer is failing to comply with the dvd standards if it is
    > not downmixing the sound properly...

    You answered your own question in the header of your email. The DVD players
    downconverts the 5.1 track present on the DVD to 2.0 'stereo' output. If the
    amp/receiver has Prologic mode it should then be able to recreate a prologic
    surround field from the 'stereo' input of your DVD player.

    --
    Italo
    Italo, May 20, 2004
  10. Guest

    Re: Pioneer 5.1 -> 2.0 downconversion

    I have tested it again on another TV and it works properly now.
    , May 24, 2004
  11. Guest

    Works now. Must have been the TV's fault.
    , May 24, 2004