    power-cycle, either the movie or the talking-head commentary, and no controls
    except for "pause" work from there. Is this another case of Lucas'
    technological ingenuity working ahead of common sense?
    Sam Rouse, Oct 30, 2004

  2. Sam Rouse

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Sounds like your player is at fault. Especially it being a Denon, and it
    being aged. Denon for some reason is one of the more problematic players
    I've encountered.

    "Sam Rouse" <> wrote in message
    > I've watched countless flicks on my aged Denon player, and this is the

    first
    > I've encountered that cannot be played at all (the movie disc; not gonna

    bother

    Pug Fugley, Oct 30, 2004

  3. Sam Rouse

    Yazandtony Guest

    I didnt have a problem with THX. Why the cheap shot at Lucas?
    Yazandtony, Oct 30, 2004
  4. Sam Rouse

    Jay G. Guest

    On 30 Oct 2004 18:12:24 GMT, Yazandtony wrote:

    > I didnt have a problem with THX. Why the cheap shot at Lucas?

    Cheap shots are what Usenet users excel at.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Oct 30, 2004
  5. Sam Rouse

    Sam Rouse Guest

    In article <umzlm8iaqiww.147u74sbreou2$>,
    "Jay G." <> wrote:

    > On 30 Oct 2004 18:12:24 GMT, Yazandtony wrote:
    >
    > > I didnt have a problem with THX. Why the cheap shot at Lucas?

    > Cheap shots are what Usenet users excel at.

    I have an aged Denon DVD player which has so far had no trouble playing anything
    I've thrown at it, though some features of complex discs such as King Crimson's
    "Deja VROOOM" may not have worked entirely correctly (but I at least got to
    watch the concert & make the sound/video changes to focus on a particular
    instrumentalist). I suspect that THX-1138 is the first disc I've encountered
    for which the thought of backward-compatibility was ignored altogether. I may
    be wrong.
    Sam Rouse, Oct 31, 2004
  6. "Sam Rouse" <> wrote in message
    > I've watched countless flicks on my aged Denon player, and this is the

    first
    > I've encountered that cannot be played at all (the movie disc; not gonna

    bother
    > with the extras disc). It starts on chapter 28 - depending on prior
    > power-cycle, either the movie or the talking-head commentary, and no

    controls
    > except for "pause" work from there. Is this another case of Lucas'
    > technological ingenuity working ahead of common sense?

    Maybe your player didn't like the movie. I didn't. Despite the fanfare, this
    movie is a lemon.

    All directors have to start somewhere. Some get better over time. Lucas DID.
    But THX is useful only to see where he came from (and, thankfully,
    departed).

    For entertainment, thank your player for urging you to look elsewhere.
    Lester Horwinkle, Oct 31, 2004
  7. "Lester Horwinkle" <> wrote in message

    > Maybe your player didn't like the movie. I didn't. Despite the fanfare,
    > this
    > movie is a lemon.
    >
    > All directors have to start somewhere. Some get better over time. Lucas
    > DID.
    > But THX is useful only to see where he came from (and, thankfully,
    > departed).
    >
    > For entertainment, thank your player for urging you to look elsewhere.

    THX-1138 is maybe the only mainstream movie ever released that comes
    closests to being pure cinema, relying on montage more than conventional
    narrative for its effect.

    -------
    "Too many O-B-G-Y-N's aren't able to practice their, their LOVE with women
    all across this country."
    -- George W. Bush, campaign speech, 9/06/04
    -------------------------------
    "You know, I think about Missy Johnson....Her husband PJ got killed. He'd
    been in Afghanistan, went to Iraq.
    You know, it's hard work to try TO LOVE HER as best as I can, knowing full
    well that the decision I made caused her loved one to be in harm's way. "
    -- George W. Bush, first presidential debate, 9/30/2004
    ------------------------------
    "Need some wood?"
    -- George W. Bush, second presidential debate, 10/08/2004
    Smedley McCoy, Oct 31, 2004
  8. Sam Rouse

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:50:59 -0700, Sam Rouse wrote:

    > I have an aged Denon DVD player which has so far had no trouble playing anything
    > I've thrown at it, though some features of complex discs such as King Crimson's
    > "Deja VROOOM" may not have worked entirely correctly (but I at least got to
    > watch the concert & make the sound/video changes to focus on a particular
    > instrumentalist). I suspect that THX-1138 is the first disc I've encountered
    > for which the thought of backward-compatibility was ignored altogether. I may
    > be wrong.

    There's no such thing as "backwards compatibility" in regards to DVDs. The
    DVD or player either fits the DVD spec or not. Now while some early DVD
    players may have not conformed to spec 100% in regards to more complex
    features, the newer DVDs are not using anything that is outside the
    original spec for DVDs.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Oct 31, 2004
  9. Sam Rouse

    Patrick Neve Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Sam Rouse wrote:
    > I've watched countless flicks on my aged Denon player, and this is the first
    > I've encountered that cannot be played at all (the movie disc; not gonna bother
    > with the extras disc). It starts on chapter 28 - depending on prior
    > power-cycle, either the movie or the talking-head commentary, and no controls
    > except for "pause" work from there. Is this another case of Lucas'
    > technological ingenuity working ahead of common sense?

    Hi, Sam. Nice to see you in a different forum.
    THX played fine on my Pioneer, but to be honest I'm dissappointed with the
    disc in two big areas: sound and picture.
    My reference is a bootleg DVD-R produced from a laserdisc, which I bought
    sometime last year. (please, no flames for the bootleg purchase, I did
    after all buy the official product when it came out, OK?)

    The new sound mix was noticably different right away. Given that it's
    such a "sound" movie, I was hoping the new surround mix would be creative
    and have some impact. Well, other than just residing in the front
    speakers, which I understand is a creative decision but I don't think
    serves the editing style of the movie very well, it also has a very
    "thin", far-away-sounding quality. Little or no low end response (other
    than in some new explosions), lack of directionality in terms of all the
    great sound effects and techno-babble, and just an overall lack of
    response. The laserdisc dub, by comparison, sounds stellar in Dolby Pro
    Logic. There is more active surround panning which matches the editing
    pace, and it's more of a full-range soundtrack, with more "punch", for
    lack of a better word. I refute the review I read that says "This movie
    has never looked or sounded better". The laserdisc sounded far better, in
    my opinion.

    As for the picture, the new release certainly does beat the laserdisc in
    terms of clarity and sharpness. Unfortunately, and I really thought I was
    going to be able to embrace this, and I hate to sound like a Star Wars
    purist, but the new digital scenes are really, really offputting. I read
    the literature ahead of time, I knew what I was getting into. These
    scenes do differ from Star Wars in that it seems pretty clear that they
    could very well have been part of the original vision but were unfilmable
    due to budget.. to contrast with some of Lucas' revisionist intentions
    concerning Star Wars.. and these scenes at least conceptually, do help in
    fleshing out some of the environments and activities. But viscerally,
    they really do stick out like a sore thumb, looking like so much animation
    stuck in after the fact. It's not a subtle thing at all, it's really
    quite a dramtic alteration. Everytime they pop up it's like, "Oh no, not
    this again". And while they may serve as expository devices, I think some
    things are better left to the imagination. You don't need to explain
    every little detail in order to "get" this movie.

    I watched it again with the commentary, and I believe I've invented a new
    drinking game. Take a sip everytime Lucas says the phrase "digital
    technology". Walter Murch's comments are very interesting, by the way.
    Also, the second disc of extras does validate this releases' existence.
    The piece of early Zoetrope is a must-see.

    But for regular viewing of this movie, I have to say I'm sticking to my
    old bootleg laserdisc rip. Sam, email me privately if you want to know
    where to get one reasonably. I am loathe to recommend commercial
    bootlegs, but if you're enough of a fan to by the digital re-make, it
    might make sense to find the original as well.

    -Patrick
    Patrick Neve, Oct 31, 2004
  10. Sam Rouse

    Mark W Guest

    > There's no such thing as "backwards compatibility" in regards to DVDs.
    > The
    > DVD or player either fits the DVD spec or not. Now while some early DVD
    > players may have not conformed to spec 100% in regards to more complex
    > features, the newer DVDs are not using anything that is outside the
    > original spec for DVDs.
    >
    > -Ja

    I didn't think there actually was a 'spec' for DVDs. Not like the 'red book'
    audio CD standard.
    Mark W, Oct 31, 2004
  11. Sam Rouse

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:38:23 -0000, Mark W wrote:

    > I didn't think there actually was a 'spec' for DVDs. Not like the 'red book'
    > audio CD standard.

    What, you thought they made it up as they went along?

    http://www.pioneer.co.jp/crdl/tech/dvd/1-e.html

    -Jay
    Jay G., Nov 1, 2004