    for it to show mail as it arrives. I just want to know if it is just me
    or is that the way Thunderbird works.

    Thanks.

    Skeeter, Dec 2, 2007

  2. Skeeter

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Skeeter wrote:
    > Question: I have it set to check mail every 5 minutes. I thought it
    > would check and show I had mail even with the mail program closed.
    > Outlook is that way. You have to have it minimized on the task bar
    > for it to show mail as it arrives.

    If Tbird is truly closed, not just minimized to the task bar, it is not
    running, it is removed from memory, it is not executing. So, it cannot
    possibly do anything.

    I don't know about Outlook or Outlook Express. When you click the
    "close" "x" in the upper right corner of their window it is possible
    they leave behind a fragment of running code, some process that checks
    for mail and alerts you.

    If you minimize Tbird to the task bar it will stay running, in memory,
    and it will check your mail and notify you.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 2, 2007

  3. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Skeeter wrote:
    >> Question: I have it set to check mail every 5 minutes. I thought it
    >> would check and show I had mail even with the mail program closed.
    >> Outlook is that way. You have to have it minimized on the task bar
    >> for it to show mail as it arrives.

    > If Tbird is truly closed, not just minimized to the task bar, it is not
    > running, it is removed from memory, it is not executing. So, it cannot
    > possibly do anything.
    >
    > I don't know about Outlook or Outlook Express. When you click the
    > "close" "x" in the upper right corner of their window it is possible
    > they leave behind a fragment of running code, some process that checks
    > for mail and alerts you.
    >
    > If you minimize Tbird to the task bar it will stay running, in memory,
    > and it will check your mail and notify you.

    For a full featured notifier, which runs independently of any email
    client, take a look at POPtray{

    http://poptray.org

    (Hi Ed!)

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2007
  4. Skeeter

    Justin Guest

    Skeeter wrote on [Sat, 01 Dec 2007 16:47:31 -0800]:
    > Question: I have it set to check mail every 5 minutes. I thought it
    > would check and show I had mail even with the mail program closed.
    > Outlook is that way. You have to have it minimized on the task bar
    > for it to show mail as it arrives. I just want to know if it is just me
    > or is that the way Thunderbird works.

    Outlook is NOT that way. If Outlook is closed it won't do anything. If
    however, you thought you closed it it keeps running in the background,
    which is a bad practice. It should exit when you tell it to.

    Justin, Dec 2, 2007
  5. Skeeter

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Skeeter wrote:
    >>> Question: I have it set to check mail every 5 minutes. I thought it
    >>> would check and show I had mail even with the mail program closed.
    >>> Outlook is that way. You have to have it minimized on the task bar
    >>> for it to show mail as it arrives.

    >> If Tbird is truly closed, not just minimized to the task bar, it is
    >> not running, it is removed from memory, it is not executing. So, it
    >> cannot possibly do anything.
    >>
    >> I don't know about Outlook or Outlook Express. When you click the
    >> "close" "x" in the upper right corner of their window it is possible
    >> they leave behind a fragment of running code, some process that checks
    >> for mail and alerts you.
    >>
    >> If you minimize Tbird to the task bar it will stay running, in memory,
    >> and it will check your mail and notify you.
    >>

    > For a full featured notifier, which runs independently of any email
    > client, take a look at POPtray{
    >
    > http://poptray.org
    >
    > (Hi Ed!)
    >
    > Lee

    Hey, Lee! What? You been out doing Revolutionary re-enactments or
    something? Or maybe a really heavy orchestral schedule? ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 2, 2007
  6. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>>
    >>> If Tbird is truly closed, not just minimized to the task bar, it is
    >>> not running, it is removed from memory, it is not executing. So, it
    >>> cannot possibly do anything.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know about Outlook or Outlook Express. When you click the
    >>> "close" "x" in the upper right corner of their window it is possible
    >>> they leave behind a fragment of running code, some process that
    >>> checks for mail and alerts you.
    >>>
    >>> If you minimize Tbird to the task bar it will stay running, in
    >>> memory, and it will check your mail and notify you.
    >>>

    >> For a full featured notifier, which runs independently of any email
    >> client, take a look at POPtray{
    >>
    >> http://poptray.org
    >>
    >> (Hi Ed!)
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > Hey, Lee! What? You been out doing Revolutionary re-enactments or
    > something? Or maybe a really heavy orchestral schedule? ;-)

    Civil War, actually, orchestra, yes, but a lot of the new Netscape apps,
    testing and support.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2007
  7. Skeeter

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> For a full featured notifier, which runs independently of any email
    >>> client, take a look at POPtray{
    >>>
    >>> http://poptray.org
    >>>
    >>> (Hi Ed!)
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>

    >> Hey, Lee! What? You been out doing Revolutionary re-enactments or
    >> something? Or maybe a really heavy orchestral schedule? ;-)
    >>

    > Civil War, actually, orchestra, yes, but a lot of the new Netscape apps,
    > testing and support.
    >
    > Lee

    Oh! That's right. I read that you were pretty heavily into the latest
    Netscape software. I am clueless about that. How's it going? Should I care?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 2, 2007
  8. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> Hey, Lee! What? You been out doing Revolutionary re-enactments or
    >>> something? Or maybe a really heavy orchestral schedule? ;-)
    >>>

    >> Civil War, actually, orchestra, yes, but a lot of the new Netscape
    >> apps, testing and support.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > Oh! That's right. I read that you were pretty heavily into the latest
    > Netscape software. I am clueless about that. How's it going? Should I
    > care?

    Really well! Netscape Navigator 9 is in full release now, and working
    very well, Netscape Messenger is in a public alpha, and I'm using it to
    post here. If you want to give them a try:

    http://browser.netscape.com/

    http://mailnews.netscape.com/

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2007
  9. Skeeter

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> Civil War, actually, orchestra, yes, but a lot of the new Netscape
    >>> apps, testing and support.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>

    >> Oh! That's right. I read that you were pretty heavily into the
    >> latest Netscape software. I am clueless about that. How's it going?
    >> Should I care?
    >>

    > Really well! Netscape Navigator 9 is in full release now, and working
    > very well, Netscape Messenger is in a public alpha, and I'm using it to
    > post here. If you want to give them a try:
    >
    > http://browser.netscape.com/
    >
    > http://mailnews.netscape.com/

    Before I dive into yet another pit which could be a morass, anything I
    should read or know? And, truly curious, why do you favor this
    combination of two separate apps over SeaMonkey? If you do. Advantages?
    Pitfalls?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 2, 2007
  10. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    /snip/

    >> Really well! Netscape Navigator 9 is in full release now, and working
    >> very well, Netscape Messenger is in a public alpha, and I'm using it
    >> to post here. If you want to give them a try:
    >>
    >> http://browser.netscape.com/
    >>
    >> http://mailnews.netscape.com/

    > Before I dive into yet another pit which could be a morass, anything I
    > should read or know? And, truly curious, why do you favor this
    > combination of two separate apps over SeaMonkey? If you do. Advantages?
    > Pitfalls?

    My primary reason for favoring them over SeaMonkey would be the RSS
    support in Messenger. I find it most useful to be able to read mail,
    newsgroups and rss feeds within one application. SeaMonkey will be able
    to do that, but not yet.

    Navigator is basically Firefox, but with some interesting additions. You
    might be intrigued with the mini-browser in the sidebar, for example.

    Another sidebar feature is the LinkPad, which allows you to save url's
    temporarily in a session, without bookmarking them.
    There are some smaller features, sch as a restart Navigator option in he
    File menu.

    Here is the NS page describing the features:

    http://browser.netscape.com/whatsnew/9/

    Messenger is in a alpha stage. Since its based on TB 2.0, its a very
    usable client as is, but has more limited Netscape specific features.
    There will be more to come.

    Then, its Netscape. I just have an old nostalgic feeling about seeing
    Netscape in the menubar.

    Given my choice, I wish it were a SeaMonkey based suite, but I am hoping
    to see a tighter integration between the apps, making them behave more
    like a suite

    Let it be known, I still have SeaMonkey installed, and my wife uses it
    as her everyday internet application. I have not given up on the suite
    model by a long shot!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2007
  11. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:

    > /snip/
    >>> Really well! Netscape Navigator 9 is in full release now, and working
    >>> very well, Netscape Messenger is in a public alpha, and I'm using it
    >>> to post here. If you want to give them a try:
    >>>
    >>> http://browser.netscape.com/
    >>>
    >>> http://mailnews.netscape.com/

    >> Before I dive into yet another pit which could be a morass, anything I
    >> should read or know? And, truly curious, why do you favor this
    >> combination of two separate apps over SeaMonkey? If you do. Advantages?
    >> Pitfalls?
    >>

    > My primary reason for favoring them over SeaMonkey would be the RSS
    > support in Messenger. I find it most useful to be able to read mail,
    > newsgroups and rss feeds within one application. SeaMonkey will be able
    > to do that, but not yet.

    if you want rss then you'd have to install sage and
    xsidebar: http://users.skynet.be/fa258499/extensions.html

    or you can get away with multizilla:
    http://multizilla.mozdev.org/, but that has a ton of other
    stuff included.

    > Navigator is basically Firefox, but with some interesting additions. You
    > might be intrigued with the mini-browser in the sidebar, for example.
    >
    > Another sidebar feature is the LinkPad, which allows you to save url's
    > temporarily in a session, without bookmarking them.
    > There are some smaller features, sch as a restart Navigator option in he
    > File menu.
    >
    > Here is the NS page describing the features:
    >
    > http://browser.netscape.com/whatsnew/9/
    >
    > Messenger is in a alpha stage. Since its based on TB 2.0, its a very
    > usable client as is, but has more limited Netscape specific features.
    > There will be more to come.
    >
    > Then, its Netscape. I just have an old nostalgic feeling about seeing
    > Netscape in the menubar.
    >
    > Given my choice, I wish it were a SeaMonkey based suite, but I am hoping
    > to see a tighter integration between the apps, making them behave more
    > like a suite
    >
    > Let it be known, I still have SeaMonkey installed, and my wife uses it
    > as her everyday internet application. I have not given up on the suite
    > model by a long shot!
    >
    > Lee

    boy, its sure nice not having someone tell us to take it
    somewhere else. ;-)

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 2, 2007
  12. Skeeter

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:

    > /snip/
    >>>
    >>> Really well! Netscape Navigator 9 is in full release now, and working
    >>> very well, Netscape Messenger is in a public alpha, and I'm using it
    >>> to post here. If you want to give them a try:
    >>>
    >>> http://browser.netscape.com/
    >>>
    >>> http://mailnews.netscape.com/

    >> Before I dive into yet another pit which could be a morass, anything I
    >> should read or know? And, truly curious, why do you favor this
    >> combination of two separate apps over SeaMonkey? If you do.
    >> Advantages? Pitfalls?
    >>

    > My primary reason for favoring them over SeaMonkey would be the RSS
    > support in Messenger. I find it most useful to be able to read mail,
    > newsgroups and rss feeds within one application. SeaMonkey will be able
    > to do that, but not yet.
    >
    > Navigator is basically Firefox, but with some interesting additions. You
    > might be intrigued with the mini-browser in the sidebar, for example.
    >
    > Another sidebar feature is the LinkPad, which allows you to save url's
    > temporarily in a session, without bookmarking them.
    > There are some smaller features, sch as a restart Navigator option in he
    > File menu.
    >
    > Here is the NS page describing the features:
    >
    > http://browser.netscape.com/whatsnew/9/
    >
    > Messenger is in a alpha stage. Since its based on TB 2.0, its a very
    > usable client as is, but has more limited Netscape specific features.
    > There will be more to come.
    >
    > Then, its Netscape. I just have an old nostalgic feeling about seeing
    > Netscape in the menubar.

    <G> I totally understand. I've been using NS/Moz/SM since 1995. Kind
    of like your favorite drink - you try other things from time to time but
    wind up going back to the original.

    > Given my choice, I wish it were a SeaMonkey based suite, but I am hoping
    > to see a tighter integration between the apps, making them behave more
    > like a suite
    >
    > Let it be known, I still have SeaMonkey installed, and my wife uses it
    > as her everyday internet application. I have not given up on the suite
    > model by a long shot!
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks for the rundown, Lee. It does sound intriguing. I'll have to
    check them out.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 2, 2007
  13. Skeeter

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Really well! Netscape Navigator 9 is in full release now, and working
    > very well, Netscape Messenger is in a public alpha, and I'm using it to
    > post here. If you want to give them a try:
    >
    > http://browser.netscape.com/
    >
    > http://mailnews.netscape.com/

    What are the newsgroups for these apps, Lee?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 2, 2007
  14. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Really well! Netscape Navigator 9 is in full release now, and working
    >> very well, Netscape Messenger is in a public alpha, and I'm using it
    >> to post here. If you want to give them a try:
    >>
    >> http://browser.netscape.com/
    >>
    >> http://mailnews.netscape.com/

    > What are the newsgroups for these apps, Lee?

    They are at secnews, but there isn't much traffic there. Most of the
    support discussion comes in at the Netscape Community Forums.

    A lot of the old gang still looks in on secnews, when someone does post
    a question there, you'll often get four of five answers.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2007
  15. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> Really well! Netscape Navigator 9 is in full release now, and working
    >>> very well, Netscape Messenger is in a public alpha, and I'm using it
    >>> to post here. If you want to give them a try:
    >>>
    >>> http://browser.netscape.com/
    >>>
    >>> http://mailnews.netscape.com/

    >> What are the newsgroups for these apps, Lee?
    >>

    > They are at secnews, but there isn't much traffic there. Most of the
    > support discussion comes in at the Netscape Community Forums.
    >
    > A lot of the old gang still looks in on secnews, when someone does post
    > a question there, you'll often get four of five answers.
    >
    > Lee

    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape7.windows
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape8.windows
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape9.linux
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape9.mac
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape9.windows

    No group has been established for Messenger yet.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2007
  16. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >> /snip/

    >>> Before I dive into yet another pit which could be a morass, anything
    >>> I should read or know? And, truly curious, why do you favor this
    >>> combination of two separate apps over SeaMonkey? If you do.
    >>> Advantages? Pitfalls?
    >>>

    >> My primary reason for favoring them over SeaMonkey would be the RSS
    >> support in Messenger. I find it most useful to be able to read mail,
    >> newsgroups and rss feeds within one application. SeaMonkey will be
    >> able to do that, but not yet.

    > if you want rss then you'd have to install sage and xsidebar:
    > http://users.skynet.be/fa258499/extensions.html
    >
    > or you can get away with multizilla: http://multizilla.mozdev.org/, but
    > that has a ton of other stuff included.
    >

    >> Navigator is basically Firefox, but with some interesting additions.
    >> You might be intrigued with the mini-browser in the sidebar, for example.
    >>
    >> Another sidebar feature is the LinkPad, which allows you to save url's
    >> temporarily in a session, without bookmarking them.
    >> There are some smaller features, sch as a restart Navigator option in
    >> he File menu.
    >>
    >> Here is the NS page describing the features:
    >>
    >> http://browser.netscape.com/whatsnew/9/
    >>
    >> Messenger is in a alpha stage. Since its based on TB 2.0, its a very
    >> usable client as is, but has more limited Netscape specific features.
    >> There will be more to come.
    >>
    >> Then, its Netscape. I just have an old nostalgic feeling about seeing
    >> Netscape in the menubar.
    >>
    >> Given my choice, I wish it were a SeaMonkey based suite, but I am
    >> hoping to see a tighter integration between the apps, making them
    >> behave more like a suite
    >>
    >> Let it be known, I still have SeaMonkey installed, and my wife uses it
    >> as her everyday internet application. I have not given up on the
    >> suite model by a long shot!
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > boy, its sure nice not having someone tell us to take it somewhere else.
    > ;-)

    Well, I've been procrastinating at opeing the mozilla.support groups. I
    suppose I'll get to it, but I'm not in any real hurry. ;)

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2007
  17. Skeeter

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> What are the newsgroups for these apps, Lee?
    >>>

    >> They are at secnews, but there isn't much traffic there. Most of the
    >> support discussion comes in at the Netscape Community Forums.
    >>
    >> A lot of the old gang still looks in on secnews, when someone does
    >> post a question there, you'll often get four of five answers.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape7.windows
    > snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape8.windows
    > snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape9.linux
    > snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape9.mac
    > snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape9.windows
    >
    > No group has been established for Messenger yet.

    Thanks. That does seem to be the way of the world these days: Us old
    timers who like Usenet and its newsgroup format vs. the, uh, "less
    mature" who prefer the Web-based forum type of interface. :)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 3, 2007
  18. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:

    >>> They are at secnews, but there isn't much traffic there. Most of the
    >>> support discussion comes in at the Netscape Community Forums.
    >>>
    >>> A lot of the old gang still looks in on secnews, when someone does
    >>> post a question there, you'll often get four of five answers.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>

    >> snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape7.windows
    >> snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape8.windows
    >> snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape9.linux
    >> snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape9.mac
    >> snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape9.windows
    >>
    >> No group has been established for Messenger yet.

    > Thanks. That does seem to be the way of the world these days: Us old
    > timers who like Usenet and its newsgroup format vs. the, uh, "less
    > mature" who prefer the Web-based forum type of interface. :)

    The number of ISP's who no longer offer newsgroup access is testament to
    that. Its a darn shame, newsgroups are the ideal support medium.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 3, 2007
  19. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> boy, its sure nice not having someone tell us to take it somewhere
    >>> else. ;-)

    >> Well, I've been procrastinating at opeing the mozilla.support groups.
    >> I suppose I'll get to it, but I'm not in any real hurry. ;)

    > don't even bother. Its getting out of hand in the support groups, and
    > the Head Spam Cop must be pulling his hair out by now because of all
    > this. There's name calling, flaming, foul language, gang banging,
    > trolling, and lots of others [and thats just in todays TB group].
    > Atleast, when I do it, I try to get it into the general group, but the
    > others won't follow suit, they change it back to the support groups and
    > continue it there.
    >
    > I have all but stopped providing support in the FF and TB groups. I only
    > help with maybe one or two questions in those groups, and thats it. I
    > only stick with the SM one, but now there's a nasty troll in there,
    > too. I also try to help in this group, the old netscape.public groups,
    > and on the secnews server.

    Sorry to hear it, but I'm not really surprised. Ah well, at least we
    have alternatives.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 3, 2007

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 3, 2007