Thunderbirds at practice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by me@mine.net, Apr 28, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Photos of the USAF T-birds practicing for the LAFB air show this past Fri
    afternoon taken from NASA LaRC where I work. Be warned I haven't taken the
    time to really cull these, just threw out the obvious bad shots and quickly
    batched processed in Bibble. Nikon D300, 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC-14.

    http://edwardgruf.com/2009-04-24_airshow_preview/
    , Apr 28, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bob Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    -:photos of the USAF T-birds practicing for the LAFB air show this past Fri
    -:afternoon taken from NASA LaRC where I work. Be warned I haven't taken the
    -:time to really cull these, just threw out the obvious bad shots and quickly
    -:batched processed in Bibble. Nikon D300, 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC-14.
    -:
    -:http://edwardgruf.com/2009-04-24_airshow_preview/

    can you imagine their airshow as flown in F22's?


    -:
    Bob, Apr 29, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Eric Stevens Guest

    On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:47:08 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Photos of the USAF T-birds practicing for the LAFB air show this past Fri
    >> afternoon taken from NASA LaRC where I work. Be warned I haven't taken the
    >> time to really cull these, just threw out the obvious bad shots and quickly
    >> batched processed in Bibble. Nikon D300, 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC-14.
    >>
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/2009-04-24_airshow_preview/

    >
    >
    >Look great as thumbnails but a little soft/grainy full sized (and I
    >assume cropped).


    "Full sized image" about 1 Mb!

    No wonder they look a bit soft.

    I couldn't find any EXIF data. What lens were you using?



    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Apr 30, 2009
    #3
  4. Dudley Hanks Guest

    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> Photos of the USAF T-birds practicing for the LAFB air show this past
    >>> Fri
    >>> afternoon taken from NASA LaRC where I work. Be warned I haven't taken
    >>> the
    >>> time to really cull these, just threw out the obvious bad shots and
    >>> quickly
    >>> batched processed in Bibble. Nikon D300, 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC-14.
    >>>
    >>> http://edwardgruf.com/2009-04-24_airshow_preview/

    >>
    >>
    >>Look great as thumbnails but a little soft/grainy full sized (and I
    >>assume cropped).

    >


    My wife was browsing the pics and loved them. Great job, Ed.

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Apr 30, 2009
    #4
  5. Paul Furman Guest

    Re: OT

    Timmo wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Photos of the USAF T-birds practicing for the LAFB air show this past Fri
    >> afternoon taken from NASA LaRC where I work. Be warned I haven't taken
    >> the
    >> time to really cull these, just threw out the obvious bad shots and
    >> quickly
    >> batched processed in Bibble. Nikon D300, 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC-14.

    >
    >
    > Going a bit OT, working for NASA, any idea what these circles are?
    > Apparently they are centre pivot irrigation crops, but I'm curious why
    > they keep appearing in/around secretive military bases? What use would
    > they have for them? The only thing I can think of is that they have
    > something to do with NASA's crop yield predicting program?


    Those are all outside the govt property lines if you turn on 'map'. Very
    common across the west in dry remote areas. Usually wheat in my
    experience, or maybe just hay.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/3497216570/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/3496401607/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/3496336711/

    > Tonopah Test Range, Nevada, USA:
    > http://tinyurl.com/dksujd
    >
    > North Area 51, Nevada, USA:
    > http://tinyurl.com/d75elv
    >
    > Plant 42, California, USA:
    > http://tinyurl.com/cypqu9

    ....
    Paul Furman, May 3, 2009
    #5
  6. Re: OT

    Timmo wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Photos of the USAF T-birds practicing for the LAFB air show this past Fri
    >> afternoon taken from NASA LaRC where I work. Be warned I haven't taken
    >> the
    >> time to really cull these, just threw out the obvious bad shots and
    >> quickly
    >> batched processed in Bibble. Nikon D300, 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC-14.

    >
    >
    > Going a bit OT, working for NASA, any idea what these circles are?
    > Apparently they are centre pivot irrigation crops, but I'm curious why
    > they keep appearing in/around secretive military bases? What use would
    > they have for them? The only thing I can think of is that they have
    > something to do with NASA's crop yield predicting program?
    >
    > Tonopah Test Range, Nevada, USA:
    > http://tinyurl.com/dksujd
    >
    > North Area 51, Nevada, USA:
    > http://tinyurl.com/d75elv
    >
    > Plant 42, California, USA:
    > http://tinyurl.com/cypqu9


    Even more mysterious is just N. of Palmdale:

    <http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=palmdale&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=uk&ei=VKT4SZeqNYeUjAe4itW8DA&t=k&ll=34.801074,-118.159869&spn=0.005436,0.006813&z=17>

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, May 4, 2009
    #6
  7. Twibil Guest

    Re: OT

    On May 3, 4:39 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1{> wrote:
    >
    > Seems to be some sort of old Civil Aviation instalation. There are many
    > abandoned CA fields all over Southern California. Running diagonally
    > from 2 to 8 o'clock is what looks like an out of use airstrip. Zoom in
    > at the top end of that strip and you will find some parked vehicles.


    That's the Palmdale/Lancaster R/C model airplane club runway.

    > As for the circular perimeter, who knows?


    I'm not certain, but there *several* abandoned automotive test tracks
    up in that area, and they're usually either round or oval in shape.

    The guys in the model airplane club almost certainly know.

    ~Pete
    Twibil, May 4, 2009
    #7
  8. Re: OT

    Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2009-05-03 17:21:11 -0700, "Timmo" <> said:
    >
    >> "Savageduck" <savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> wrote in message
    >> news:2009050316390725228-savageduck1REMOVESPAM@mecom...
    >>> On 2009-05-03 16:09:14 -0700, John McWilliams <> said:


    >>>> Even more mysterious is just N. of Palmdale:
    >>>>
    >>>> <http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=palmdale&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=uk&ei=VKT4SZeqNYeUjAe4itW8DA&t=k&ll=34.801074,-118.159869&spn=0.005436,0.006813&z=17>
    >>>>


    >>> That seems
    >>> to be some sort of old Civil Aviation instalation. There are many
    >>> abandonded CA fields all over Southern California. Running diagonally
    >>> from 2 to 8 o'clock is what looks like an out of use airstrip. Zoom
    >>> in at the top end of that strip and you will find some parked vehicles.
    >>> As for the circular perimeter, who knows?


    >> The circle on the outside was apparently an automotive test track for
    >> the US Rubber Company. More info at the following link at the bottom
    >> (Liberty Field):
    >> http://www.militarymuseum.org/WarEagleField.html


    >> ...and that I believe, solves the mystery.

    > Good work.


    Nice! Most of the locals had no idea it was there, nor any idea what it
    might be or have been.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, May 4, 2009
    #8
  9. frank Guest

    Re: OT

    On May 3, 5:55 pm, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > Timmo wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message
    > >news:...
    > >> Photos of the USAF T-birds practicing for the LAFB air show this past Fri
    > >> afternoon taken from NASA LaRC where I work. Be warned I haven't taken
    > >> the
    > >> time to really cull these, just threw out the obvious bad shots and
    > >> quickly
    > >> batched processed in Bibble. Nikon D300, 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC-14.

    >
    > > Going a bit OT, working for NASA, any idea what these circles are?
    > > Apparently they are centre pivot irrigation crops, but I'm curious why
    > > they keep appearing in/around secretive military bases?  What use would
    > > they have for them?  The only thing I can think of is that they have
    > > something to do with NASA's crop yield predicting program?

    >
    > Those are all outside the govt property lines if you turn on 'map'. Very
    > common across the west in dry remote areas. Usually wheat in my
    > experience, or maybe just hay.http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehi...://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/3496336711/
    >
    > > Tonopah Test Range, Nevada, USA:
    > >http://tinyurl.com/dksujd

    >
    > > North Area 51, Nevada, USA:
    > >http://tinyurl.com/d75elv

    >
    > > Plant 42, California, USA:
    > >http://tinyurl.com/cypqu9

    >
    > ...


    They grow a lot of grasses out there that they bale and sell for for
    feed. Used to drive that way way too many times to get to work.
    Actually, they roll them (the cut grass) in huge rolls and sell those.
    Some bale them. Considering its semi arid out there, and takes a ton
    of water, pretty wasteful. Huge irrigators, move on wheels, can be
    linked together, think a radio tower on its side. They move them
    around the fields to water them. Some guys would have huge just open
    sheds they'd store the bales in, easily 2 stories high and tens of
    feet wide. At least out in Palmdale and pretty much South and East of
    there. Gets pretty barren north of there. Except along I-5. Lots of
    tumble weed and lots of old mines, pretty much holes in the ground out
    there. Some had old shacks at them, most have fallen down. There were
    some kids going out and setting off dynamite a few years ago in them
    until the sheriff and ATF went after them. They figured they were cool
    things to go blow up as nobody lived in them. Yeah, well......
    frank, May 4, 2009
    #9
  10. Guest

    On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:01:38 +1200, in rec.photo.digital Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:47:08 -0400, Alan Browne
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> Photos of the USAF T-birds practicing for the LAFB air show this past Fri
    >>> afternoon taken from NASA LaRC where I work. Be warned I haven't taken the
    >>> time to really cull these, just threw out the obvious bad shots and quickly
    >>> batched processed in Bibble. Nikon D300, 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC-14.
    >>>
    >>> http://edwardgruf.com/2009-04-24_airshow_preview/

    >>
    >>
    >>Look great as thumbnails but a little soft/grainy full sized (and I
    >>assume cropped).

    >
    >"Full sized image" about 1 Mb!
    >
    >No wonder they look a bit soft.
    >
    >I couldn't find any EXIF data. What lens were you using?


    No offense, but it was mentioned in the OP. Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC14.
    And actually if you happen to get to the original images the exif is there.
    the easiest way is to click on the red arrow disk icon at the bottom right
    of each "scaled" 1024 by slide.

    As to the content yes this was a day resulting in quite low contrast shots.
    The blue sky was much much more pale I also believe I poorly chose the
    options to convert the set, but haven't had the time to try to do better.
    As far as cropping, a few such as the F-4 are severally cropped, but some
    only mildly and many not at all,especially the later shots. As to focus,
    last year I tried using continuous AF, ie AF-C. This year I tried AF-S in
    auto-iso mode with a min shutter speed of 1/800s. I probably should have
    bumped up the min shutter speed in the middle of the shoot to something a
    fair bit higher. However, to be honest I tend to believe the issue with
    many shots is the low contrast and high rate of speed of the subject,
    coupled with minimal distance/time to track as they pass over head and in
    some instances trying zoom/focus and shoot as the pass by. I treat this
    opportunity every year as a learning experience as I prefer the naval air
    show around Labor Day for real shooting. Given my location at work the
    planes come over local buildings so one doesn't have much time to find
    where they are coming from, track/zoom/focus before they are gone. This is
    a pretty hefty lens to swing around or mostly up overhead. For example the
    last shot of the underside of the t-bird is a full frame shot. Even this
    higher contrast shot isn't great.

    In the end, I'm glad if anyone enjoyed them.
    , May 5, 2009
    #10
  11. Guest

    On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:30:09 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >Bob wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >> -:photos of the USAF T-birds practicing for the LAFB air show this past Fri
    >> -:afternoon taken from NASA LaRC where I work. Be warned I haven't taken the
    >> -:time to really cull these, just threw out the obvious bad shots and quickly
    >> -:batched processed in Bibble. Nikon D300, 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC-14.
    >> -:
    >> -:http://edwardgruf.com/2009-04-24_airshow_preview/
    >>
    >> can you imagine their airshow as flown in F22's?

    >
    >The -22 does have pitch vectored exhaust which could allow for higher
    >pitch dynamics, but other than that I suspect the -16 is more agile overall.



    The F-22s did their full show. LAFB which is next door has the first
    operation squadron of F-22s. That said the F-22 routine is not done justice
    in still photography. One needs to see video to appreciate the extreme
    capabilities of the plane. However, one also needs to be very careful in
    translating what one sees it do in such maneuvers to what it's dog fighting
    capability is. Not all this capability is applicable to dogfights and more
    than one article in AvWeek has mentioned the slaughter of young F-22 pilots
    fascinated with these capabilities losing to less capable planes in the
    hands of seasoned pilots.
    , May 5, 2009
    #11
  12. frank Guest

    On Apr 28, 4:47 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Photos of the USAF T-birds practicing for the LAFB air show this past Fri
    > > afternoon taken from NASA LaRC where I work. Be warned I haven't taken the
    > > time to really cull these, just threw out the obvious bad shots and quickly
    > > batched processed in Bibble. Nikon D300, 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC-14.

    >
    > >http://edwardgruf.com/2009-04-24_airshow_preview/

    >
    > Look great as thumbnails but a little soft/grainy full sized (and I
    > assume cropped).
    >



    Nice shots. where's LAFB? I remember when F-4 was still operational.
    sigh....

    Interesting they came out so well with a TC. Usually that makes it so
    dim its hard to shoot.

    Were you able to get on flightline? Usually 300 is adequate from
    there. 400 hard to compose depending on what is going on.
    frank, May 6, 2009
    #12
  13. Guest

    On Tue, 5 May 2009 16:18:27 -0700 (PDT), in rec.photo.digital frank
    <> wrote:

    >On Apr 28, 4:47 pm, Alan Browne <>
    >wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> > Photos of the USAF T-birds practicing for the LAFB air show this past Fri
    >> > afternoon taken from NASA LaRC where I work. Be warned I haven't taken the
    >> > time to really cull these, just threw out the obvious bad shots and quickly
    >> > batched processed in Bibble. Nikon D300, 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC-14.

    >>
    >> >http://edwardgruf.com/2009-04-24_airshow_preview/

    >>
    >> Look great as thumbnails but a little soft/grainy full sized (and I
    >> assume cropped).
    >>

    >
    >
    >Nice shots. where's LAFB? I remember when F-4 was still operational.
    >sigh....


    Hampton, VA

    >Interesting they came out so well with a TC. Usually that makes it so
    >dim its hard to shoot.


    That's a general statement that doesn't apply to a top quality lens
    such as the Nikkor 200-400 f/4 and minimal 1.4 x TC
    ..
    >Were you able to get on flightline? Usually 300 is adequate from
    >there. 400 hard to compose depending on what is going on.


    No these where taken from out in the parking lot where I work next
    door at NASA Langley Research Center. In several cases the flew
    directly overhead at quite low altitude. The last shot of the bird on
    the underside is a full frame 560mm (400mm x 1.4) f.l. shot. Note the
    exif reports 550mm instead of 560mm. There is something going on with
    this lens/tc combo at max f.l. Many of the multi-plane shots required
    zooming out.
    , May 6, 2009
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dan
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    457
    Pun Krocker
    Oct 5, 2004
  2. Doug MacLean
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    516
    Doug MacLean
    Apr 10, 2004
  3. Fred Hunter

    Thunderbirds contest

    Fred Hunter, Jul 21, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    425
    LASERandDVDfan
    Jul 22, 2004
  4. DVD Verdict
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    404
    DVD Verdict
    Jan 11, 2005
  5. Wayne Wastier
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    786
    Wayne Wastier
    Jun 10, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page