    I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't.
    It is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    list. WTF?
    Gib Bogle, Aug 18, 2007

  2. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't. It
    > is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    > list. WTF?

    Thats strange. It runs as swiftly as previous versions did for me under
    both XP and Vista.
    EMB, Aug 18, 2007

  3. In message <fa5e0k$cu4$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't.
    > It is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    > list. WTF?

    Which OS?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 18, 2007
  4. Gib Bogle

    Cima Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:24:02 +1200, Gib Bogle <>
    wrote:

    >I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't.
    >It is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    >list. WTF?

    I had a heap of filter problems, but fixed those via:

    "Right click on the Inbox in TB and select, Compact Folder.
    After that is complete, right click Inbox, select Properties, and under
    the General Information tab, click Rebuild Index. "

    Seems to be fine, other than that hiccup.
    Cima, Aug 18, 2007
  5. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <fa5e0k$cu4$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't.
    >> It is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    >> list. WTF?

    > Which OS?

    I would have thought a self-proclaimed expert on everything IT like
    yourself would have been capable of checking the headers on his post to
    ascertain this fact.
    EMB, Aug 18, 2007
  6. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Cima wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:24:02 +1200, Gib Bogle <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't.
    >> It is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    >> list. WTF?

    > I had a heap of filter problems, but fixed those via:
    >
    > "Right click on the Inbox in TB and select, Compact Folder.
    > After that is complete, right click Inbox, select Properties, and under
    > the General Information tab, click Rebuild Index. "
    >
    > Seems to be fine, other than that hiccup.

    Thanks. I did that, but without noticeable effect. When I drag the
    slider on the RHS from bottom to top there is a definite lag before the
    message header display catches up. A minor thing, but it seems to
    signal what I've always thought of as an MS phenomenon - each successive
    release demanding more CPU. I would have thought a 1.8GHz P4 768 Mb
    (W2K), although not the latest hardware, would still have ample power
    for this sort of task.
    Gib Bogle, Aug 18, 2007
  7. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Thanks. I did that, but without noticeable effect. When I drag the
    > slider on the RHS from bottom to top there is a definite lag before the
    > message header display catches up. A minor thing, but it seems to
    > signal what I've always thought of as an MS phenomenon - each successive
    > release demanding more CPU. I would have thought a 1.8GHz P4 768 Mb
    > (W2K), although not the latest hardware, would still have ample power
    > for this sort of task.

    It runs fine on P3-933/512MB/Win2K machines at work (I've just tried it)
    so I can't see why you are having issues.
    EMB, Aug 18, 2007
  8. Gib Bogle

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:24:02 +1200, Gib Bogle
    <> magnanimously proffered:

    >I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't.
    >It is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    >list. WTF?

    WTF indeed! I have been experiencing problems with Firefox for the
    past 6 or 8 months and have been forced to replace it as my default
    browser with Opera. Firefox hangs, crashes and is generally slow.
    Nevertheless, I prefer its interface to IE, Opera and Safari.

    Firefox's steady decline in functionality despite increasing user
    complaints reminds me of how Netscape was finally ruined. Nobody
    listened.
    Donchano, Aug 18, 2007
  9. In message <46c64f36$>, EMB wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <fa5e0k$cu4$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't.
    >>> It is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    >>> list. WTF?

    >> Which OS?

    > I would have thought a self-proclaimed expert on everything IT like
    > yourself would have been capable of checking the headers on his post to
    > ascertain this fact.

    I don't like to make assumptions.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 18, 2007
  10. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I don't like to make assumptions.

    About half the traffic in this ng for the last fortnight has been you
    making assumptions about Microsoft's EULA and how it pertains to
    backups. Now **** off and stop being obtuse you obnoxious ****.
    EMB, Aug 18, 2007
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. I did that, but without noticeable effect. When I drag the
    >> slider on the RHS from bottom to top there is a definite lag before
    >> the message header display catches up. A minor thing, but it seems to
    >> signal what I've always thought of as an MS phenomenon - each
    >> successive release demanding more CPU. I would have thought a 1.8GHz
    >> P4 768 Mb (W2K), although not the latest hardware, would still have
    >> ample power for this sort of task.

    > It runs fine on P3-933/512MB/Win2K machines at work (I've just tried it)
    > so I can't see why you are having issues.

    It runs fine here. What I'm reporting is an apparent decrease in speed
    that is manifested in a slight lag in scrolling. It isn't anything
    serious, just a noticeable change from the previous version. After a
    while I won't notice it any more.
    Gib Bogle, Aug 18, 2007
  12. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > It runs fine here. What I'm reporting is an apparent decrease in speed
    > that is manifested in a slight lag in scrolling. It isn't anything
    > serious, just a noticeable change from the previous version. After a
    > while I won't notice it any more.

    I didn't see any lag when I tried it - even with an IMAP inbox of approx
    700 messages.
    EMB, Aug 18, 2007
  13. In message <46c68a8a$>, EMB wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> I don't like to make assumptions.

    > About half the traffic in this ng for the last fortnight has been you
    > making assumptions about Microsoft's EULA and how it pertains to
    > backups.

    Assumptions, nothing. I was explaining very carefully why I came to the
    conclusions that I did. I offered the chance to others to point out why
    they thought I might be wrong, then I responded by explaining why they were
    wrong. No assumptions, only carefully-reasoned arguments and conclusions.

    > Now **** off and stop being obtuse you obnoxious ****.

    Ironic, isn't it. You're the one who clicked on the button in Dimdows that
    said to the effect of "I have read and understood the terms and conditions,
    and I agree to them". Yet when I point out what the terms and conditions
    actually mean, you react with surprise, incredulity, hostility and denial.
    So it turns out you lied when you clicked that button--you didn't really
    have the faintest idea what you were agreeing to at all. And now you try to
    take it out on me. But really, you have nobody to blame but yourself.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 18, 2007
  14. Gib Bogle

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-08-18, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't.
    > It is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    > list. WTF?

    Your platform of choice is what exactly?
    Gordon, Aug 18, 2007
  15. Gib Bogle

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-08-18, EMB <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <fa5e0k$cu4$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't.
    >>> It is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    >>> list. WTF?

    >> Which OS?

    > I would have thought a self-proclaimed expert on everything IT like
    > yourself would have been capable of checking the headers on his post to
    > ascertain this fact.

    .... That means Some of mean you should.....

    Look if one wants some help then one should give as much info as possible
    Gordon, Aug 18, 2007
  16. Gib Bogle

    Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> It runs fine here. What I'm reporting is an apparent decrease in
    >> speed that is manifested in a slight lag in scrolling. It isn't
    >> anything serious, just a noticeable change from the previous version.
    >> After a while I won't notice it any more.

    > I didn't see any lag when I tried it - even with an IMAP inbox of approx
    > 700 messages.

    Its definatly slower to scroll for me. Move the wheel and its about half
    a second before the list moves.
    Richard, Aug 18, 2007
  17. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:24:02 +1200, Gib Bogle
    > <> magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >> I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't.
    >> It is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    >> list. WTF?

    > WTF indeed! I have been experiencing problems with Firefox for the
    > past 6 or 8 months and have been forced to replace it as my default
    > browser with Opera. Firefox hangs, crashes and is generally slow.
    > Nevertheless, I prefer its interface to IE, Opera and Safari.
    >
    > Firefox's steady decline in functionality despite increasing user
    > complaints reminds me of how Netscape was finally ruined. Nobody
    > listened.

    I've never had a problem with Firefox.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Aug 18, 2007
  18. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <46c68a8a$>, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't like to make assumptions.

    >> About half the traffic in this ng for the last fortnight has been you
    >> making assumptions about Microsoft's EULA and how it pertains to
    >> backups.

    > Assumptions, nothing. I was explaining very carefully why I came to the
    > conclusions that I did. I offered the chance to others to point out why
    > they thought I might be wrong, then I responded by explaining why they were
    > wrong. No assumptions, only carefully-reasoned arguments and conclusions.

    What you really mean is that you have been parroting the words of a
    journalist with an axe to grind. Yes, I did find the original posts.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Aug 18, 2007
  19. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2007-08-18, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >> I just installed the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, and I wish I hadn't.
    >> It is quite noticeably slower, for example in scrolling the mail or news
    >> list. WTF?

    > Your platform of choice is what exactly?

    As I said in another post, this a 1.8 GHz P4 with 768 Mb, running W2k.
    Gib Bogle, Aug 18, 2007
  20. In message <46c6c741$>, Enkidu wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> About half the traffic in this ng for the last fortnight has been you
    >>> making assumptions about Microsoft's EULA and how it pertains to
    >>> backups.

    >> Assumptions, nothing. I was explaining very carefully why I came to the
    >> conclusions that I did. I offered the chance to others to point out why
    >> they thought I might be wrong, then I responded by explaining why they
    >> were wrong. No assumptions, only carefully-reasoned arguments and
    >> conclusions.
    >>

    > What you really mean is that you have been parroting the words of a
    > journalist with an axe to grind. Yes, I did find the original posts.

    Which journalist was that? Let's see some links.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 18, 2007