    appropriate classifications/names. How to archive w/o eating up file
    space in Thunderbird?

    , Aug 29, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Tbird just stopped recieving Email. Message says it cannot write to
    > file. File was large (>1.5 GB) Didn't know about the compact thing.

    when you delete a message, lets say from the inbox, the
    message is remove from the inbox, but it still remains in
    the file. The reason for this is a backup, just in case you
    want to retrieve that message, there is a way. However,
    this file can grow big at times. So, to get rid of this
    excess, you compact the folders [under file]

    > Tranfered the contents of the two largest files to archive (new file
    > name) so it should be a lot smaller. Still didn't work.
    >
    > Before I get really aggressive, I do not understand the part about
    > "pernission to write. . ." I am working from the administrator part
    > of WinXPpro, so I should have authority for everything. But maybe it
    > is talking about something else. Since Thunderbird has worked for
    > years, I am inclinded to think either the files got too big, or the
    > file is corrupted.
    >
    > Anybody want to help me find the problem and fix it?
    >
    > Does compact make the files go away? Want to archive all saved old
    > emails, not trash them. I move the ones I want into files with
    > appropriate classifications/names. How to archive w/o eating up file
    > space in Thunderbird?

    as for the can't write problem. Close TB, and delete the
    *.msf files. Restart TB. Is the problem cleared up now?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 29, 2007