    All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
    6.1.7.

    Please help. Thanks.

    Moochie, Jun 7, 2006

  2. Moochie

    Kaat Guest

    Moochie wrote:
    > I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.
    >
    > I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
    > via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
    > server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
    > and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.
    >
    > So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
    > will work for me?
    >
    > I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
    > to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
    > website I try works.
    >
    > All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
    > 6.1.7.
    >
    > Please help. Thanks.

    Have you entered your DNS and DHCP into the ZA Firewall Trusted Zone ?

    Also, if you are a new user of ZA Free - the ZA Forums are a great help.

    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs

    Kaat, Jun 7, 2006

  3. Moochie

    SteveG Guest

    Moochie wrote:
    > I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.
    >
    > I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
    > via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
    > server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
    > and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.
    >
    > So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
    > will work for me?
    >
    > I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
    > to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
    > website I try works.
    >
    > All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
    > 6.1.7.
    >
    > Please help. Thanks.

    You don't say of your ZA if the free or Pro version, but I guess this
    might apply to both.

    In ZA's control centre select "program control" and "programs". Is there
    a green tick in the "send mail" column for TB? It also needs a tick in
    both the "trusted" and "internet" columns under "access".

    HTH

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jun 7, 2006
  4. Moochie

    Alan Moorman Guest

    On 6 Jun 2006 19:28:57 -0700, "Moochie" <> wrote:

    >I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.
    >
    >I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
    >via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
    >server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
    >and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.
    >
    >So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
    >will work for me?
    >
    >I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
    >to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
    >website I try works.
    >
    >All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
    >6.1.7.
    >
    >Please help. Thanks.

    I used to have problems now and then when I used Zone Alarm Pro.

    Finally got the entire Norton Utilities suite, and the problem
    stopped.

    Although NU seems to have added a BIG amount of hard drive activity,
    and has slowed down the boot-up and shut-down.

    Alan

    Alan Moorman, Jun 7, 2006
  5. Moochie

    Moochie Guest

    I indeed have Thunderbird checked for everything I can. I don't have a
    column for "check e-mail), but just for "Access" and "Server"
    ("Trusted" and "Internet" for both). I'm using the free version.
    Still have the same problem.

    Moochie, Jun 8, 2006
  6. Moochie

    Canopus Guest

    Alan Moorman on 07/06/2006 wrote:

    >I used to have problems now and then when I used Zone Alarm Pro.
    >
    >Finally got the entire Norton Utilities suite, and the problem
    >stopped.
    >
    >Although NU seems to have added a BIG amount of hard drive activity,
    >and has slowed down the boot-up and shut-down.
    >
    >Alan

    I used to have lots of problems with Norton Utilities then uninstalled
    them (with a struggle) and installed Zone Alarm and AVG and have never
    looked back since. Far less resource hungry than NU too.

    --
    Rob

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/

    Canopus, Jun 8, 2006
  7. Moochie

    Canopus Guest

    Chalky on 09/06/2006 wrote:

    >Alan Moorman <> wrote in
    >
    >>On 6 Jun 2006 19:28:57 -0700, "Moochie" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.
    >>>
    >>>I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
    >>>via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
    >>>server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
    >>>and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.
    >>>
    >>>So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
    >>>will work for me?
    >>>
    >>>I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
    >>>to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
    >>>website I try works.
    >>>
    >>>All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
    >>>6.1.7.
    >>>
    >>>Please help. Thanks.

    >>I used to have problems now and then when I used Zone Alarm Pro.
    >>
    >>Finally got the entire Norton Utilities suite, and the problem
    >>stopped.
    >>
    >>Although NU seems to have added a BIG amount of hard drive activity,
    >>and has slowed down the boot-up and shut-down.
    >>
    >>Alan
    >>

    >Norton is the worse thing you could put on a computer.

    And even worse to try to trouble shoot or remove

    Canopus, Jun 9, 2006
  8. Moochie

    Chalky Guest

    Alan Moorman <> wrote in

    > On 6 Jun 2006 19:28:57 -0700, "Moochie" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.
    >>
    >>I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
    >>via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
    >>server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
    >>and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.
    >>
    >>So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
    >>will work for me?
    >>
    >>I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
    >>to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
    >>website I try works.
    >>
    >>All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
    >>6.1.7.
    >>
    >>Please help. Thanks.

    > I used to have problems now and then when I used Zone Alarm Pro.
    >
    > Finally got the entire Norton Utilities suite, and the problem
    > stopped.
    >
    > Although NU seems to have added a BIG amount of hard drive activity,
    > and has slowed down the boot-up and shut-down.
    >
    > Alan

    Norton is the worse thing you could put on a computer.

    --
    ***************
    ___,

    / \ Chalky
    ***************

    Chalky, Jun 9, 2006
  9. Moochie

    SteveG Guest

    Chalky wrote:

    > Norton is the worse thing you could put on a computer.

    With the possible exception of Windoze :)

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jun 9, 2006
  10. Moochie

    SteveG Guest

    Moochie wrote:

    > I indeed have Thunderbird checked for everything I can. I don't have a
    > column for "check e-mail), but just for "Access" and "Server"
    > ("Trusted" and "Internet" for both). I'm using the free version.
    > Still have the same problem.

    A minor point but I didn't say "check email" ~ it's "send email" and
    should be the right hand column on that screen. Of course, ZA free may
    not have that option.

    Have you tried deleting TB from the ZA program list and then running TB
    again? This should cause ZA to ask if you want TB to have access to the
    internet and would overcome any issues with ZA not recognising your
    particular version of TB.

    Other than that, Moochie, I'm out of ideas, sorry :)

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jun 9, 2006