    --
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Time to start kill filing in NZ.GENERAL, it is getting a little loud,
    > now what I want to kill is cross posts between NZ.GENERAL and
    > NZ.POLITICS I figure that will lower the noise ration a fair bit.
    >
    > But I havent figured out how to do it, and for that matter I am having a
    > few troubles even killing a single author.

    dunno, but when you figure it out, tell me, killing anything cross
    posted to nz.pol would be a welcome filter.

    personally I find it amazing how hard it is to filter messages in
    mozilla(TB and suite), considering that it is made(it seems) for a
    geekier audience.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 28, 2004

  3. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 29/08/2004 09:48:

    > Collector_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Time to start kill filing in NZ.GENERAL, it is getting a little loud,
    >> now what I want to kill is cross posts between NZ.GENERAL and
    >> NZ.POLITICS I figure that will lower the noise ration a fair bit.
    >>
    >> But I havent figured out how to do it, and for that matter I am having
    >> a few troubles even killing a single author.

    > dunno, but when you figure it out, tell me, killing anything cross
    > posted to nz.pol would be a welcome filter.
    >
    > personally I find it amazing how hard it is to filter messages in
    > mozilla(TB and suite), considering that it is made(it seems) for a
    > geekier audience.

    I find it great for email filters but shite for News Groups.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 28, 2004
  4. Collector_NZ

    theseus Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Collector_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Time to start kill filing in NZ.GENERAL, it is getting a little loud,
    >> now what I want to kill is cross posts between NZ.GENERAL and
    >> NZ.POLITICS I figure that will lower the noise ration a fair bit.
    >>
    >> But I havent figured out how to do it, and for that matter I am
    >> having a few troubles even killing a single author.

    > dunno, but when you figure it out, tell me, killing anything cross
    > posted to nz.pol would be a welcome filter.
    >
    > personally I find it amazing how hard it is to filter messages in
    > mozilla(TB and suite), considering that it is made(it seems) for a
    > geekier audience.

    Theres an addon that you can put in for any news client that is like a
    proxy, its got quite complex filtering capabilities
    http://www.nfilter.org/

    theseus, Aug 29, 2004
  5. Collector_NZ

    theseus Guest

    http://www.nfilter.org/

    theseus, Aug 29, 2004
  6. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    theseus said the following on 29/08/2004 13:12:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >>Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>

    >>>Time to start kill filing in NZ.GENERAL, it is getting a little loud,
    >>>now what I want to kill is cross posts between NZ.GENERAL and
    >>>NZ.POLITICS I figure that will lower the noise ration a fair bit.
    >>>
    >>>But I havent figured out how to do it, and for that matter I am
    >>>having a few troubles even killing a single author.

    >>dunno, but when you figure it out, tell me, killing anything cross
    >>posted to nz.pol would be a welcome filter.
    >>
    >>personally I find it amazing how hard it is to filter messages in
    >>mozilla(TB and suite), considering that it is made(it seems) for a
    >>geekier audience.

    > Theres an addon that you can put in for any news client that is like a
    > proxy, its got quite complex filtering capabilities
    > http://www.nfilter.org/

    I ll give it a try, but how many proxies can I chain together :cool:

    Collector_NZ, Aug 29, 2004
  7. Collector_NZ

    @(none) Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    > Time to start kill filing in NZ.GENERAL, it is getting a little loud,
    > now what I want to kill is cross posts between NZ.GENERAL and
    > NZ.POLITICS I figure that will lower the noise ration a fair bit.
    >
    > But I havent figured out how to do it, and for that matter I am having a
    > few troubles even killing a single author.
    >
    > Any tips/suggestion anyone?

    KNode is very good at this.

    Mozilla is not as good.

    I have about 12 people blocked in nz.general:

    Redbaiter
    Wee Willy Wonka
    rag
    JohnB and John O

    ......most of the dishonest abusers who can't seem to post without f**k
    or commie included somewhere.

    @(none), Aug 29, 2004
  8. Collector_NZ wrote:
    >> dunno, but when you figure it out, tell me, killing anything cross
    >> posted to nz.pol would be a welcome filter.

    >> personally I find it amazing how hard it is to filter messages in
    >> mozilla(TB and suite), considering that it is made(it seems) for a
    >> geekier audience.

    > I find it great for email filters but shite for News Groups.

    same, pity that it is(or at least seems to be) lacking.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 29, 2004
  9. theseus wrote:
    > Theres an addon that you can put in for any news client that is like a
    > proxy, its got quite complex filtering capabilities
    > http://www.nfilter.org/

    yeah, I used to use that to filter out Roger, but I prefer something
    that is simply there in the program, e-gad, I'm thinking of something
    that OE has that Mozilla doesnt... scary.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 29, 2004
  10. none wrote:
    > I have about 12 people blocked in nz.general:
    > .....most of the dishonest abusers who can't seem to post without f**k
    > or commie included somewhere.

    what do you f**king mean ya commie.

    :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 29, 2004
  11. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 29/08/2004 17:34:
    > theseus wrote:
    >
    >> Theres an addon that you can put in for any news client that is like a
    >> proxy, its got quite complex filtering capabilities
    >> http://www.nfilter.org/

    > yeah, I used to use that to filter out Roger, but I prefer something
    > that is simply there in the program, e-gad, I'm thinking of something
    > that OE has that Mozilla doesnt... scary.

    I have discovered the ultimate Mozilla Thunderbird filter for NZ.GENERAL.
    Group > right click > *UNSUBSCRIBE*

    It works a treat for the high quantity of noisy drivel in there.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 29, 2004
  12. theseus wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >>Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>

    >>>Time to start kill filing in NZ.GENERAL, it is getting a little loud,
    >>>now what I want to kill is cross posts between NZ.GENERAL and
    >>>NZ.POLITICS I figure that will lower the noise ration a fair bit.
    >>>
    >>>But I havent figured out how to do it, and for that matter I am
    >>>having a few troubles even killing a single author.

    >>dunno, but when you figure it out, tell me, killing anything cross
    >>posted to nz.pol would be a welcome filter.
    >>
    >>personally I find it amazing how hard it is to filter messages in
    >>mozilla(TB and suite), considering that it is made(it seems) for a
    >>geekier audience.

    > Theres an addon that you can put in for any news client that is like a
    > proxy, its got quite complex filtering capabilities
    > http://www.nfilter.org/

    Hmmm, Can't quite get this to work.

    As a test, I added this to the nfilter.dat file...

    -----
    nz.general drop xref:nz.politics*
    * drop from:
    -----

    When using Outlook Express and Thunderbird, even after I reset the
    groups, the nz.politics posts still get through and Rebaiter's posts
    still get displayed when viewing nz.general .

    tested news.orcon.net.nz and news.individual.net, with no such luck.

    No error messages were displayed in the 'message' pane

    I've gone through the documendation, but was unable to find additional
    info. Any ideas as to where I have gone wrong?

    Thanks

    Alpine Dragon, Aug 29, 2004
  13. Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Time to start kill filing in NZ.GENERAL, it is getting a little loud,
    > now what I want to kill is cross posts between NZ.GENERAL and
    > NZ.POLITICS I figure that will lower the noise ration a fair bit.
    >
    > But I havent figured out how to do it, and for that matter I am having a
    > few troubles even killing a single author.
    >
    > Any tips/suggestion anyone?

    If you find a solution, please tell us, I searched for a solution to the
    exact same issue, without any luck. In the end I unsubscribed from
    nz.general totally. Haven't really bothered to read anything in there
    for the last 5 months.

    Alpine Dragon, Aug 29, 2004
  14. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Collector_NZ said the following on 29/08/2004 09:37:

    > Time to start kill filing in NZ.GENERAL, it is getting a little loud,
    > now what I want to kill is cross posts between NZ.GENERAL and
    > NZ.POLITICS I figure that will lower the noise ration a fair bit.
    >
    > But I havent figured out how to do it, and for that matter I am having a
    > few troubles even killing a single author.
    >
    > Any tips/suggestion anyone?

    Well I have the filters set so that my posts show up in a blue colour,
    but only on posts recieved after I set the filter. So I have set up a
    filter for Well who else but Redbaiter and turned on the filter log. I
    have set his posts to be marked as read so when I view only unread
    posts/threads I shouldnt see him. The logs will tell.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 29, 2004
  15. Collector_NZ

    Jerry Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > I have discovered the ultimate Mozilla Thunderbird filter for NZ.GENERAL.
    > Group > right click > *UNSUBSCRIBE*

    Yup, been there, done that.
    Jerry

    Jerry, Aug 29, 2004
  16. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Collector_NZ said the following on 29/08/2004 22:18:

    > Collector_NZ said the following on 29/08/2004 09:37:
    >
    >> Time to start kill filing in NZ.GENERAL, it is getting a little loud,
    >> now what I want to kill is cross posts between NZ.GENERAL and
    >> NZ.POLITICS I figure that will lower the noise ration a fair bit.
    >>
    >> But I havent figured out how to do it, and for that matter I am having
    >> a few troubles even killing a single author.
    >>
    >> Any tips/suggestion anyone?
    >>

    > Well I have the filters set so that my posts show up in a blue colour,
    > but only on posts recieved after I set the filter. So I have set up a
    > filter for Well who else but Redbaiter and turned on the filter log. I
    > have set his posts to be marked as read so when I view only unread
    > posts/threads I shouldnt see him. The logs will tell.

    And it does work. Set the filter for the server not the individual group
    and they will apply to all groups.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 29, 2004
  17. Collector_NZ

    theseus Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > theseus wrote:
    >> Theres an addon that you can put in for any news client that is like
    >> a proxy, its got quite complex filtering capabilities
    >> http://www.nfilter.org/

    > yeah, I used to use that to filter out Roger, but I prefer something
    > that is simply there in the program, e-gad, I'm thinking of something
    > that OE has that Mozilla doesnt... scary.

    I had it working on his ip number, but I just use oe in windows now with the
    block sender, its only when he goes mental that it bothers me.
    When you have to block more than a few idiots its time to leave.
    I like Tbird for the spam filter though on mail
    If I cared I'd probably use xnews scoring or knode or pan or one of the
    other windows ones agent gravity dialog whatever

    theseus, Aug 29, 2004
  18. Alpine Dragon wrote:
    > Hmmm, Can't quite get this to work.
    >
    > As a test, I added this to the nfilter.dat file...
    >
    > -----
    > nz.general drop xref:nz.politics*
    > * drop from:
    > -----

    > tested news.orcon.net.nz and news.individual.net, with no such luck.

    > I've gone through the documendation, but was unable to find additional
    > info. Any ideas as to where I have gone wrong?

    I believe, from guessing, that you set your news client to 127.0.0.1 and
    it proxies requests.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz