Thunderbird wraps plain text replies but not Opera Mail HTML replies

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by janet, Dec 16, 2007.

  1. janet

    janet Guest

    It is exasperating to reply to an HTML message in Thunderbird.
    The incoming HTML or TEXT message is wrapped nicely at 72 characters; and
    the reply to an incoming TEXT message is wrapped nicely at 72 characters;
    but replies to incoming HTML messages are NOT WRAPPED! The lines are
    huuuuuuuuge!

    This is soooooo frustrating I must ask for *help*!
    How do we set Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 on WinXP to wrap replies to all messages?

    Thunderbird will wrap outgoing messages & replies to incoming *text*
    messages at 72 characters (Tools, Options, Composition, General, wrap plain
    text messages at 72 characters).

    But, there seems to be no option to wrap replies to Opera Mail/9.23 (Win32)
    HTML messages to 72 characters. So, one has to scroll back and forth when
    replying to an HTML message (at least those from Opera Mail). SOme of the
    lines are huge. What a waste of time and effort!

    How does anyone get Thunderbird to wrap *all* replies to 72 characters?

    janet, Dec 16, 2007

  2. janet wrote:

    > How does anyone get Thunderbird to wrap *all* replies to 72
    > characters?

    One replies only in Plain Text.

    --
    -bts
    -HTML is for web pages

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 16, 2007

  3. janet wrote:

    > How does anyone get Thunderbird to wrap *all* replies to 72

    characters?

    Only reply to text messages; heck, only *read* text messages, for that
    matter.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 16, 2007
  4. janet

    Mike Easter Guest

    janet wrote:

    > How does anyone get Thunderbird to wrap *all* replies to 72
    > characters?

    replied in alt.comp.freeware
    <news:> or http://snipr.com/1vdb0

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 16, 2007
  5. janet

    Whiskers Guest

    Re: Thunderbird wraps plain text replies but not Opera Mail HTMLreplies

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:38:04 -0000, janet <> wrote:

    [...]

    > But, there seems to be no option to wrap replies to Opera Mail/9.23
    > (Win32)
    > HTML messages to 72 characters. So, one has to scroll back and forth when
    > replying to an HTML message (at least those from Opera Mail). SOme of the
    > lines are huge. What a waste of time and effort!
    >
    > How does anyone get Thunderbird to wrap *all* replies to 72 characters?

    I can't tell you anything about using Thunderbird, but I'm interested to
    learn how Opera posts in HTML. That's why I set up my copy of Opera to
    post this article.

    Whiskers, Dec 16, 2007
  6. janet

    Mike Easter Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    > I'm interested
    > to learn how Opera posts in HTML. That's why I set up my copy of
    > Opera to post this article.

    I couldn't find any way to do that either.

    I was going to try to post a test html article with Opera and see what
    happened if I configured Tbird to read it in plaintext, but I couldn't
    make an Opera html with my linux 9.2.4 version.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 16, 2007
  7. janet

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-12-16, Whiskers <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:38:04 -0000, janet <> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> But, there seems to be no option to wrap replies to Opera Mail/9.23
    >> (Win32)
    >> HTML messages to 72 characters. So, one has to scroll back and forth when
    >> replying to an HTML message (at least those from Opera Mail). SOme of the
    >> lines are huge. What a waste of time and effort!
    >>
    >> How does anyone get Thunderbird to wrap *all* replies to 72 characters?

    > I can't tell you anything about using Thunderbird, but I'm interested to
    > learn how Opera posts in HTML. That's why I set up my copy of Opera to
    > post this article.

    As I thought; Opera doesn't post in HTML by default, and no way I can see
    to make it post in HTML. So whatever the problem when reading Opera posts
    in Thunderbird might be, it isn't to do with HTML. Or if HTML is the
    problem, Opera's mail and news component isn't involved.

    One clue might be in this Opera-generated header:

    How well does Thunderbird cope with "format=flowed" articles and emails?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 16, 2007
  8. janet

    Mike Easter Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    > I'm interested
    > to learn how Opera posts in HTML. That's why I set up my copy of
    > Opera to post this article.

    http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/mail/send/ Opera's e-mail client
    uses format=flowed formatting for messages,

    That opera tutorial ref/s this ff site http://joeclark.org/ffaq.html
    The format=flowed FAQ

    I've run into various incompatibilities between certain types of format
    flowed and the newsreader's ability to handle them. Maybe that's
    janet's problem.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 16, 2007
  9. janet

    Mike Easter Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > janet

    >> How does anyone get Thunderbird to wrap *all* replies to 72 characters?

    > I can't tell you anything about using Thunderbird, but I'm interested to
    > learn how Opera posts in HTML. That's why I set up my copy of Opera to
    > post this article.

    Tbird displays your opera message 'unwrapped' - that is, wrapped to the
    window - but when I reply to it, it is wrapped 'normally' with cite
    marks and to my selected linelength.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 16, 2007
  10. janet

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-12-16, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> janet

    >>> How does anyone get Thunderbird to wrap *all* replies to 72 characters?

    >> I can't tell you anything about using Thunderbird, but I'm interested to
    >> learn how Opera posts in HTML. That's why I set up my copy of Opera to
    >> post this article.

    > Tbird displays your opera message 'unwrapped' - that is, wrapped to the
    > window - but when I reply to it, it is wrapped 'normally' with cite
    > marks and to my selected linelength.

    Which is pretty much as it should be, I think. My slrn interprets the
    'line-break spaces' in format=flowed as line breaks for its display, which
    is what I want. I have encountered some posts which have no line-wrap at
    all and aren't sent as format=flowed, and some that claim to be
    format=flowed but aren't, but none of them as I recall from Opera users.

    Perhaps Janet will find this thread again and tell us what her Thunderbird
    does with my Opera post - or give us the MIDs for some of the posts that
    she isn't seeing the way she wants to so that we can see what clues we can
    find.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 16, 2007
  11. janet

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:47:07 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >janet wrote:
    >
    >> How does anyone get Thunderbird to wrap *all* replies to 72
    >> characters?

    >One replies only in Plain Text.

    In usenet. Not for email.

    richard, Dec 17, 2007
  12. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>janet wrote:
    >>> How does anyone get Thunderbird to wrap *all* replies to 72
    >>> characters?

    >> One replies only in Plain Text.

    > In usenet. Not for email.

    HTML emails to me end up in my Junk folder. I am not alone in this.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 17, 2007