Thunderbird won't store my account information

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by RicBrazil, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. RicBrazil

    RicBrazil Guest

    Hey everyone!

    I hope you can help me... I've been using Thunderbird for quite a while
    now and I love it. Last week, however, I bought a new computer and
    tried to re-install Thunderbird onto it. I downloaded the setup file
    from the site. Even though all the installation process was successful
    - including all the account setting process (I was able to check my
    email in all my three accounts,) when I closed the program and tried to
    open it again, all the information (account setup, mail... everything!)
    had been deleted. It was as if that were the first time I'd used it! I
    tried to re-install the program some four or five times (I even tried
    different languages!) but to no avail. What's goind wrong??? Please,
    help me! I want my TB back!!!

    Many hugs,
    Ricardo
    (São Paulo, Brazil)

    RicBrazil, Jan 11, 2007

  2. RicBrazil

    Guest

    RicBrazil wrote:
    > Hey everyone!
    >
    > I hope you can help me... I've been using Thunderbird for quite a while
    > now and I love it. Last week, however, I bought a new computer and
    > tried to re-install Thunderbird onto it. I downloaded the setup file
    > from the site. Even though all the installation process was successful
    > - including all the account setting process (I was able to check my
    > email in all my three accounts,) when I closed the program and tried to
    > open it again, all the information (account setup, mail... everything!)
    > had been deleted. It was as if that were the first time I'd used it! I
    > tried to re-install the program some four or five times (I even tried
    > different languages!) but to no avail. What's goind wrong??? Please,
    > help me! I want my TB back!!!
    >
    > Many hugs,
    > Ricardo
    > (São Paulo, Brazil)

    First, when you close TB, did you get a message that the current
    profile is in use? If so, then you may have created a NEW profile.

    All your settings, prefs, mail, etc, are stored in an area called the
    TB Profile.

    So, make sure TB is closed, and look in the task manager [ctrl+alt+del]
    and make sure its closed. Now, click on Start, Run and enter exactly:

    thunderbird.exe -p

    this will bring up the TB profile manager. How many profiles do you
    see? If more than one, click on one and see if that is your profile.
    If not, then close TB and repeat. You can remove any profiles that are
    not your main one.

    Have you found your profile?

    , Jan 11, 2007

  3. RicBrazil

    RicBrazil Guest

    Hi Peter

    Thanks a lot for you post, but I guess it didn't work. I did what you
    said, but what I get is no profile at all! I set up a new account and
    it works. When I finish working on TB and close it, everything
    disappears! I checked whether it was really closed as you said
    [ctrl+alt+del] and ran the profile manager as you taught. Nothing!
    Everything was gone!

    Is there a change that this file might be corrupted?

    Thanks again,
    Ric

    RicBrazil, Jan 11, 2007
  4. RicBrazil

    Ed Mullen Guest

    RicBrazil wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> RicBrazil wrote:
    >>> Hey everyone!
    >>>
    >>> I hope you can help me... I've been using Thunderbird for quite a while
    >>> now and I love it. Last week, however, I bought a new computer and
    >>> tried to re-install Thunderbird onto it. I downloaded the setup file
    >>> from the site. Even though all the installation process was successful
    >>> - including all the account setting process (I was able to check my
    >>> email in all my three accounts,) when I closed the program and tried to
    >>> open it again, all the information (account setup, mail... everything!)
    >>> had been deleted. It was as if that were the first time I'd used it! I
    >>> tried to re-install the program some four or five times (I even tried
    >>> different languages!) but to no avail. What's goind wrong??? Please,
    >>> help me! I want my TB back!!!
    >>>
    >>> Many hugs,
    >>> Ricardo
    >>> (São Paulo, Brazil)

    >> First, when you close TB, did you get a message that the current
    >> profile is in use? If so, then you may have created a NEW profile.
    >>
    >> All your settings, prefs, mail, etc, are stored in an area called the
    >> TB Profile.
    >>
    >> So, make sure TB is closed, and look in the task manager [ctrl+alt+del]
    >> and make sure its closed. Now, click on Start, Run and enter exactly:
    >>
    >> thunderbird.exe -p
    >>
    >> this will bring up the TB profile manager. How many profiles do you
    >> see? If more than one, click on one and see if that is your profile.
    >> If not, then close TB and repeat. You can remove any profiles that are
    >> not your main one.
    >>
    >> Have you found your profile?

    > Hi Peter
    >
    > Thanks a lot for you post, but I guess it didn't work. I did what you
    > said, but what I get is no profile at all! I set up a new account and
    > it works. When I finish working on TB and close it, everything
    > disappears! I checked whether it was really closed as you said
    > [ctrl+alt+del] and ran the profile manager as you taught. Nothing!
    > Everything was gone!
    >
    > Is there a change that this file might be corrupted?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Ric

    Please bottom-post, thanks.

    Make sure you can see the Profile folders:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx>

    Locate your profile:
    <See: http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html>

    Do you have more than one profile?

    Does either of them have a file in them called "parent.lock"?

    If so, making certain that TB is not running (do CTRL+SHIFT+ESC in
    Windows XP to launch Task Manager, look for thunderbird.exe,
    right-click, choose End Process). Try running TB (Start - Programs -
    Mozilla Thunderbird - Profile Manager - select a profile if more than
    one). Ok?

    Please report back.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 11, 2007
  5. RicBrazil

    RicBrazil Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > RicBrazil wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:

    > >> First, when you close TB, did you get a message that the current
    > >> profile is in use? If so, then you may have created a NEW profile.
    > >>
    > >> All your settings, prefs, mail, etc, are stored in an area called the
    > >> TB Profile.
    > >>
    > >> So, make sure TB is closed, and look in the task manager [ctrl+alt+del]
    > >> and make sure its closed. Now, click on Start, Run and enter exactly:
    > >>
    > >> thunderbird.exe -p
    > >>
    > >> this will bring up the TB profile manager. How many profiles do you
    > >> see? If more than one, click on one and see if that is your profile.
    > >> If not, then close TB and repeat. You can remove any profiles that are
    > >> not your main one.
    > >>
    > >> Have you found your profile?

    > > Hi Peter
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot for you post, but I guess it didn't work. I did what you
    > > said, but what I get is no profile at all! I set up a new account and
    > > it works. When I finish working on TB and close it, everything
    > > disappears! I checked whether it was really closed as you said
    > > [ctrl+alt+del] and ran the profile manager as you taught. Nothing!
    > > Everything was gone!
    > >
    > > Is there a change that this file might be corrupted?
    > >
    > > Thanks again,
    > > Ric
    > >

    > Please bottom-post, thanks.
    >
    > Make sure you can see the Profile folders:
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx>
    >
    > Locate your profile:
    > <See: http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html>
    >
    > Do you have more than one profile?
    >
    > Does either of them have a file in them called "parent.lock"?
    >
    > If so, making certain that TB is not running (do CTRL+SHIFT+ESC in
    > Windows XP to launch Task Manager, look for thunderbird.exe,
    > right-click, choose End Process). Try running TB (Start - Programs -
    > Mozilla Thunderbird - Profile Manager - select a profile if more than
    > one). Ok?
    >
    > Please report back.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    > http://abington.edmullen.net
    > AMNESIA: condition that enables a woman who has gone through labor to
    > have sex again.

    Hi Ed

    Thanks a lot for you support. So far, what I've done is: I was able to
    follow the directions and open the profiles folder. The file is called
    lww.3638z.default. I doubled clicked on it and I was able to find a
    folder called MAIL. I double-clicked on it, and I was able to see 9
    (nine) folders with the name of my mail server (maybe all my attempts
    to install it.) Well, there is the file called parent.lock, but I
    didn't know what to do with it. Am I supposed to delete it? Also, when
    I tried to run TB and profile manager, nothing appeared. Well, I feel
    that I'm getting closer to getting it to work, but nothing has happened
    so far...

    Again, thanks a lot, and I'll really appreciate if you can keep trying
    to help me.

    Hugs,
    Ric

    RicBrazil, Jan 11, 2007
  6. RicBrazil

    Ed Mullen Guest

    RicBrazil wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> RicBrazil wrote:

    >> > Hi Peter
    >> >
    >> > Thanks a lot for you post, but I guess it didn't work. I did what you
    >> > said, but what I get is no profile at all! I set up a new account and
    >> > it works. When I finish working on TB and close it, everything
    >> > disappears! I checked whether it was really closed as you said
    >> > [ctrl+alt+del] and ran the profile manager as you taught. Nothing!
    >> > Everything was gone!
    >> >
    >> > Is there a change that this file might be corrupted?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks again,
    >> > Ric
    >> >

    >> Please bottom-post, thanks.
    >>
    >> Make sure you can see the Profile folders:
    >> <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx>
    >>
    >> Locate your profile:
    >> <See: http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html>
    >>
    >> Do you have more than one profile?
    >>
    >> Does either of them have a file in them called "parent.lock"?
    >>
    >> If so, making certain that TB is not running (do CTRL+SHIFT+ESC in
    >> Windows XP to launch Task Manager, look for thunderbird.exe,
    >> right-click, choose End Process). Try running TB (Start - Programs -
    >> Mozilla Thunderbird - Profile Manager - select a profile if more than
    >> one). Ok?
    >>
    >> Please report back.

    > Hi Ed
    >
    > Thanks a lot for you support. So far, what I've done is: I was able to
    > follow the directions and open the profiles folder. The file is called
    > lww.3638z.default. I doubled clicked on it and I was able to find a
    > folder called MAIL. I double-clicked on it, and I was able to see 9
    > (nine) folders with the name of my mail server (maybe all my attempts
    > to install it.) Well, there is the file called parent.lock, but I
    > didn't know what to do with it. Am I supposed to delete it?

    Yes!

    > Also, when
    > I tried to run TB and profile manager, nothing appeared. Well, I feel
    > that I'm getting closer to getting it to work, but nothing has happened
    > so far...

    Let's solve one problem at a time. Delete every "parent.lock" file you
    find. I'm assuming from your reply that you only have ONE profile
    folder and that you have only found one "parent.lock" file. Ok. Delete
    it, just make sure that all instances of TB are ended.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 11, 2007
  7. RicBrazil

    RicBrazil Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > RicBrazil wrote:
    > > Ed Mullen wrote:

    > >> Please bottom-post, thanks.
    > >>
    > >> Make sure you can see the Profile folders:
    > >> <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx>
    > >>
    > >> Locate your profile:
    > >> <See: http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html>
    > >>
    > >> Do you have more than one profile?
    > >>
    > >> Does either of them have a file in them called "parent.lock"?
    > >>
    > >> If so, making certain that TB is not running (do CTRL+SHIFT+ESC in
    > >> Windows XP to launch Task Manager, look for thunderbird.exe,
    > >> right-click, choose End Process). Try running TB (Start - Programs -
    > >> Mozilla Thunderbird - Profile Manager - select a profile if more than
    > >> one). Ok?
    > >>
    > >> Please report back.

    > > Hi Ed
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot for you support. So far, what I've done is: I was able to
    > > follow the directions and open the profiles folder. The file is called
    > > lww.3638z.default. I doubled clicked on it and I was able to find a
    > > folder called MAIL. I double-clicked on it, and I was able to see 9
    > > (nine) folders with the name of my mail server (maybe all my attempts
    > > to install it.) Well, there is the file called parent.lock, but I
    > > didn't know what to do with it. Am I supposed to delete it?

    > Yes!
    >
    > > Also, when
    > > I tried to run TB and profile manager, nothing appeared. Well, I feel
    > > that I'm getting closer to getting it to work, but nothing has happened
    > > so far...

    > Let's solve one problem at a time. Delete every "parent.lock" file you
    > find. I'm assuming from your reply that you only have ONE profile
    > folder and that you have only found one "parent.lock" file. Ok. Delete
    > it, just make sure that all instances of TB are ended.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    > http://abington.edmullen.net
    > That's the beer that made Mel Famie walk us.

    It's working now! Thanks a lot!
    Ric

    RicBrazil, Jan 13, 2007
  8. RicBrazil

    Ed Mullen Guest

    RicBrazil wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>> Also, when
    >>> I tried to run TB and profile manager, nothing appeared. Well, I feel
    >>> that I'm getting closer to getting it to work, but nothing has happened
    >>> so far...

    >> Let's solve one problem at a time. Delete every "parent.lock" file you
    >> find. I'm assuming from your reply that you only have ONE profile
    >> folder and that you have only found one "parent.lock" file. Ok. Delete
    >> it, just make sure that all instances of TB are ended.

    > It's working now! Thanks a lot!
    > Ric

    Excellent!

    --