    rather than Internet Explorer?

    Thanks,

    Adam
    Adam Mulvey, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Adam Mulvey uitte de volgende tekst op 14/06/2005 20:07:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How do I get Thunderbird to open Firefox from a URL link in an email,
    > rather than Internet Explorer?

    Set Firefox as the default browser.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    Interesting websites:
    www.lieverleven.be (I cooperate)
    www.eu04.com European Referendum Campaign
    aouw.org The Art Of Urban Warfare
    Hendrik Maryns, Jun 14, 2005

  3. Adam Mulvey

    west488 Guest

    Adam Mulvey wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How do I get Thunderbird to open Firefox from a URL link in an email,
    > rather than Internet Explorer?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Adam

    Its a glitch. Using the options you can select Firefox as
    your default browser and I.E. will still come up when you
    click on links in external programs.

    Due to a few problems that made Firefox more trouble than
    it was worth (for me), I deleted Firefox and went back to
    using Avant. But if you are sure Firefox is your browser
    of choice, you can always delete your I.E. browser.

    I have not tried this, but if Firefox is the only browser
    you have on your computer, I'm betting it will be the one
    that comes up when you click on a link in Thunderbird.
    west488, Jun 14, 2005
  4. west488 wrote:

    > Adam Mulvey wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>How do I get Thunderbird to open Firefox from a URL link in an email,
    >>rather than Internet Explorer?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Adam

    > Its a glitch. Using the options you can select Firefox as
    > your default browser and I.E. will still come up when you
    > click on links in external programs.
    >
    > Due to a few problems that made Firefox more trouble than
    > it was worth (for me), I deleted Firefox and went back to
    > using Avant. But if you are sure Firefox is your browser
    > of choice, you can always delete your I.E. browser.

    I wouldn't advise *deleting* IE. Windows Explorer uses many of its
    components, so you would almost certainly end up up S**t Creek if you
    tried...and if it would let you.

    --
    Regards

    Nigel Stapley

    www.judgemental.plus.com

    <reply-to will bounce>
    Nigel Stapley, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Adam Mulvey

    Adam Mulvey Guest

    Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    > Adam Mulvey uitte de volgende tekst op 14/06/2005 20:07:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> How do I get Thunderbird to open Firefox from a URL link in an email,
    >> rather than Internet Explorer?

    > Set Firefox as the default browser.

    It is the default browser.
    Adam Mulvey, Jun 14, 2005
  6. Adam Mulvey

    Adam Mulvey Guest

    west488 wrote:

    > Adam Mulvey wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>How do I get Thunderbird to open Firefox from a URL link in an email,
    >>rather than Internet Explorer?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Adam

    > Its a glitch. Using the options you can select Firefox as
    > your default browser and I.E. will still come up when you
    > click on links in external programs.

    So there's no way of changing it? I'm quite surprised at that. It seems
    like such a simple thing, getting Firefox and Thunderbird to work
    together...
    Adam Mulvey, Jun 14, 2005
  7. Adam Mulvey uitte de volgende tekst op 14/06/2005 21:17:
    > west488 wrote:
    >

    >> Adam Mulvey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> How do I get Thunderbird to open Firefox from a URL link in an email,
    >>> rather than Internet Explorer?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Adam

    >> Its a glitch. Using the options you can select Firefox as
    >> your default browser and I.E. will still come up when you
    >> click on links in external programs.

    > So there's no way of changing it? I'm quite surprised at that. It seems
    > like such a simple thing, getting Firefox and Thunderbird to work
    > together...

    Well, it works fine here, also the other way round, if I use Tools ->
    read mail, TB opens.

    Any way, do not try to uninstall IE, it messes up Windows.

    Have you tried reinstalling FF?

    Hendrik Maryns, Jun 14, 2005
  8. Adam Mulvey

    Posco Guest

    Adam Mulvey wrote:
    > west488 wrote:
    >

    >> Adam Mulvey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> How do I get Thunderbird to open Firefox from a URL link in an email,
    >>> rather than Internet Explorer?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Adam

    >> Its a glitch. Using the options you can select Firefox as
    >> your default browser and I.E. will still come up when you
    >> click on links in external programs.

    > So there's no way of changing it? I'm quite surprised at that. It seems
    > like such a simple thing, getting Firefox and Thunderbird to work
    > together...

    I use DefaultBrowser from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/defaultbrowser.html

    Ian.
    Posco, Jun 14, 2005
  9. Adam Mulvey

    Adam Mulvey Guest

    Posco wrote:
    > Adam Mulvey wrote:
    >
    >> west488 wrote:

    >>> Its a glitch. Using the options you can select Firefox as
    >>> your default browser and I.E. will still come up when you
    >>> click on links in external programs.

    >> So there's no way of changing it? I'm quite surprised at that. It
    >> seems like such a simple thing, getting Firefox and Thunderbird to
    >> work together...

    > I use DefaultBrowser from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/defaultbrowser.html
    >
    > Ian.

    Hey that's brilliant - works perfectly! Thanks Ian!
    Adam Mulvey, Jun 14, 2005
  10. Adam Mulvey

    ric Guest

    ric, Jun 15, 2005
  11. Adam Mulvey

    ggull Guest

    "Adam Mulvey" <> wrote ...
    > Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    > > Adam Mulvey uitte de volgende tekst op 14/06/2005 20:07:

    > >> How do I get Thunderbird to open Firefox from a URL link in an email,
    > >> rather than Internet Explorer?

    > > Set Firefox as the default browser.
    > >

    > It is the default browser.

    Are you sure Firefox was the "default browser"?
    That seems to be a different concept from simply being the program used to
    open html, etc, file types. That's the "file association".

    You don't describe how you came to this pickle, but could it be something
    like this?

    I upgraded Firefox to 1.04, while keeping the old version around just in
    case. I changed the file associations to the 1.04 version, and 1.04 was
    used when I'd click on an html file on my desktop, say -- but whenever I'd
    click on a link in email (OE) it would try to open with old version and
    generate an error message (the same error msg I'd get if I tried to start
    old version regular way).

    Problem was solved when in Firefox I did
    Tools>Options>General, Default Browser

    I'm glad you found the other solution, using snapfile's DefaultBrowser.
    It's really sick that there's no ready way to set the "default browser"
    within Windows itself, and I'll file away the snapfiles tool for reference.
    ggull, Jun 15, 2005
  12. Adam Mulvey

    Adam Mulvey Guest

    ggull wrote:
    > "Adam Mulvey" <> wrote ...
    >
    >>Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    >>
    >>>Adam Mulvey uitte de volgende tekst op 14/06/2005 20:07:

    >>>Set Firefox as the default browser.
    >>>

    >>It is the default browser.

    > Are you sure Firefox was the "default browser"?

    Sorry, I'm wrong, you're right -- having double-checked, it actually
    wasn't. The reason I thought it was: Explorer kept bringing up a box
    saying "Explorer isn't your default browser", which led me to believe
    that Firefox had changed it over automatically. Thanks for your help.
    Adam Mulvey, Jun 15, 2005
  13. Adam Mulvey

    ggull Guest

    "Adam Mulvey" <> wrote
    ggull wrote:
    > > Are you sure Firefox was the "default browser"?

    > Sorry, I'm wrong, you're right -- having double-checked, it actually
    > wasn't. The reason I thought it was: Explorer kept bringing up a box
    > saying "Explorer isn't your default browser", which led me to believe
    > that Firefox had changed it over automatically. Thanks for your help.

    Now if the damn system would just let you muck with this setting directly,
    it would be a lot clearer. I had explored this on one of the microsoft
    newsgroups, but no one ever really came out and said "default browser" and
    "file association" were different things.

    Did you install Firefox over IE, or over a previous version of Firefox?
    If over IE, it's kind of weird that IE was no longer "default browser" yet
    Firefox had not been made "d.b.".
    ggull, Jun 17, 2005