    ISP's server as they should be. I have checked my Account Settings and
    everything seems to check. Any ideas out there?

    Keith

    Keith Lee, Jan 12, 2007

  2. Keith Lee wrote:
    > All:
    > I have been noticing something over the past two to three versions of
    > Thunderbird. That is, email labeled SPAM isn't being deleted off my
    > ISP's server as they should be. I have checked my Account Settings and
    > everything seems to check. Any ideas out there?
    >
    > Keith

    Are you downloading messages to your inbox?
    +

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 12, 2007

  3. Keith Lee

    Keith Lee Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 03:27:48 +0000, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Keith Lee wrote:
    >> All:
    >> I have been noticing something over the past two to three versions of
    >> Thunderbird. That is, email labeled SPAM isn't being deleted off my
    >> ISP's server as they should be. I have checked my Account Settings and
    >> everything seems to check. Any ideas out there?
    >>
    >> Keith

    > Are you downloading messages to your inbox?
    > +

    Yes, I am.

    Keith

    Keith Lee, Jan 12, 2007
  4. Keith Lee wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 03:27:48 +0000, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Keith Lee wrote:
    >>> All:
    >>> I have been noticing something over the past two to three versions of
    >>> Thunderbird. That is, email labeled SPAM isn't being deleted off my
    >>> ISP's server as they should be. I have checked my Account Settings and
    >>> everything seems to check. Any ideas out there?
    >>>
    >>> Keith

    >> Are you downloading messages to your inbox?
    >> +

    > Yes, I am.
    >
    > Keith

    Then those spam messages should be removed once you do so.

    Some ISPs provide 'spam' filtering abilities right on the server, in
    this case the Spam may be in a different folder (not your mailbox). Is
    this the case?

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 12, 2007
  5. Keith Lee

    Keith Lee Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:16:38 +0000, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Keith Lee wrote:

    >>> Are you downloading messages to your inbox? +

    >> Yes, I am.
    >>
    >> Keith

    > Then those spam messages should be removed once you do so.
    >
    > Some ISPs provide 'spam' filtering abilities right on the server, in
    > this case the Spam may be in a different folder (not your mailbox). Is
    > this the case?

    Dan:
    I have set up my Thunderbird to put the new SPAM into the Trash folder.
    Some of the same SPAM seems to come through when I recheck for new mail.
    I then log onto my ISP via webmail and find that most of the SPAM is still
    there. I have to delete it by hand then.

    Keith

    Keith Lee, Jan 13, 2007
  6. Keith Lee wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:16:38 +0000, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Keith Lee wrote:

    >>> Yes, I am.
    >>>
    >>> Keith

    >> Then those spam messages should be removed once you do so.
    >>
    >> Some ISPs provide 'spam' filtering abilities right on the server, in
    >> this case the Spam may be in a different folder (not your mailbox). Is
    >> this the case?

    > Dan:
    > I have set up my Thunderbird to put the new SPAM into the Trash folder.
    > Some of the same SPAM seems to come through when I recheck for new mail.
    > I then log onto my ISP via webmail and find that most of the SPAM is still
    > there. I have to delete it by hand then.
    >
    > Keith

    I suggest you NOT put spam directly into trash. If a good message gets
    caught, it would be gone! Use a holding area (the Junk folder is as good
    as any - and it can be emptied automatically after xx number of days)**

    As I thought, your ISP is doing some filtering for you and Mozilla isnt
    seeing the spam it is catching becauese it is removed from your mailbox
    and put elsewhere. Most ISPs wont keep mail over 30 days or may have
    other procedures as to when their 'spam' folder is emptied. You can
    remember to return to webmail and empty the spam folder yourself, or you
    can turn their spam detector off.

    ** even the best JMC's will make mistakes
    My JMC is running at 99.8% catch ratio, but its flawless 'no false
    positives' ratio was shattered this morning. A legitimate email ended up
    in my catch.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 13, 2007