Thunderbird - What a piece of Shit

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by coyote2@donotemail.com, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I just have to say this. I installed Firefox several months ago, and
    absolutely love it. I decided that Thunderbird might be just as good,
    even though I have been using Eudora for nearly 10 years. I installed
    Thunderbird, and fought with it, and fought with it more. I
    originally let it import from Eudora. That was a mistake. It
    insisted on resending all 280 some messages that had been sent, and
    kept telling me that there were 6 unread messages, that DID NOT EXIST.
    I fought with it more, and yet more. I could not get it to stop
    bugging me about those six messages, and the supposed unsent messages,
    and everytime I did anything, it kept popping up about those messages.
    I finally uninstalled it, figuring I would do a bare-bones install,
    not allowing it to get any info from Eudora. I ran a complete
    uninstall, and reinstalled it, only to find that it had retained all
    that stuff it had taken from before. I uninstalled again, and moved
    Eudora to an external backup drive, and disconnected that drive. I
    rebooted, and installed it again. The damn thing once again found all
    that junk as before. I finally found that uninstalling does not
    truely uninstall, because it stored all that stuff it had imported in
    the windows/application data/*.* folder. It also left other files in
    my windows dir. After several hours of searching my drive, I finally
    succeeded in destroying all that junk. Once again I installed it.
    This time I finally got a bare-bones installation, however, I found it
    takes over a minute to load, with not even one email in it.

    I finally decided to send an email to myself as a test. I typed a few
    words and fought with it again over something or other, which I really
    did not understand what it wanted, nor at this point did I care,
    because I had just plain had enough of this piece of shit software. I
    hit "cancel" or "do not send", or whatever wording it uses to NOT send
    that email, but it insisted on asking me over and over and over what
    to do with that message, even though I told it 5 or more times to kill
    the fucking message. I used a 3 finger salute and rebooted the
    computer at that point. Re started Windows, and uninstalled it. Then
    I went and cleaned up all the junk that the uninstaller misses.

    I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
    OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
    be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
    pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
    it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

    I find it hard to believe that the same company that created one of
    the best, if not the absolute best browser (Firefox) in history, could
    possibly create anything as horrible and user unfriendly and crappy as
    Thunderbird. I will never install it again, considering there are is
    a much better piece of software bundled with Windows, (Outlook
    Express), except for the virus issues, which is why I do not regularly
    use it. So, I will continue to pay for Eudora which as always been
    the best.

    Thunderbird is horrible ! What a piece of Shit !

    , Mar 2, 2005

  2. Amen to that!

    Michael O'Keefe, Mar 2, 2005

  3. jmcd Guest

    said the following on 3/2/05 3:27 AM:
> [...]
    >
    > I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
    > OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
    > be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
    > pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
    > it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!
    >
    > I find it hard to believe that the same company that created one of
    > the best, if not the absolute best browser (Firefox) in history, could
    > possibly create anything as horrible and user unfriendly and crappy as
    > Thunderbird. I will never install it again, considering there are is
    > a much better piece of software bundled with Windows, (Outlook
    > Express), except for the virus issues, which is why I do not regularly
    > use it. So, I will continue to pay for Eudora which as always been
    > the best.
    >
    > Thunderbird is horrible ! What a piece of Shit !

    oops..I'll restate that in this forum..Tell us what you really think. :)

    jmcd, Mar 2, 2005
  4. HD Guest

    wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
    > OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
    > be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
    > pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
    > it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!
    >
    > I find it hard to believe that the same company that created one of
    > the best, if not the absolute best browser (Firefox) in history, could
    > possibly create anything as horrible and user unfriendly and crappy as
    > Thunderbird. I will never install it again, considering there are is
    > a much better piece of software bundled with Windows, (Outlook
    > Express), except for the virus issues, which is why I do not regularly
    > use it. So, I will continue to pay for Eudora which as always been
    > the best.
    >
    > Thunderbird is horrible ! What a piece of Shit !

    If you don't like - don't use it.

    Simple.

    HD

    HD, Mar 2, 2005
  5. > Thunderbird is horrible ! What a piece of Shit !

    Thanks. I'll stop using it immediately.
    Damn, I have been deluding myself for the past 2 years.
    Now.. how do you re-install Outlook Express?

    --
    Bryan

    Reclaim Your Browser!
    http://www.getfirefox.com

    Bryan Harrison, Mar 2, 2005
  6. JDT Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:27:11 -0600, wrote:

    >I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
    >OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
    >be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
    >pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
    >it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

    And Windows ME is not on your list?

    JDT, Mar 2, 2005
  7. ..brian.. Guest

    wrote:
    > I just have to say this. I installed Firefox several months ago, and
    > absolutely love it. I decided that Thunderbird might be just as

    good,
    > even though I have been using Eudora for nearly 10 years.

    Which is it? "nearly 10 years", or "using computers for 15 years".
    Make up your mind, or learn to lie consistently.

    > I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
    > OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
    > be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten

    WORST
    > pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
    > it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

    But you enjoy using ME!? I'm amazed at your high-tech credentials, and
    now I value your opinion much more than /before/ I knew of your vast
    computer experience.

    But anyway, do you feel better now? It's too bad you just wasted time
    ranting about TB to people who don't give a shit. Just as I'm wasting
    my time replying to a Eudora fan-boy. Here in AFM, we don't care if
    you don't like Thunderbird; just quit using it. It's that simple.
    It's your choice, and you didn't loose anything by trying it. It's
    free.

    You might want to try your whining over on comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
    -- with other people who love Eudora.

    Just as you hate TB, there are plenty of people who hate Eudora. I can
    post links to multiple newsgroup posts, and a ton of "Eudora problem"
    related posts from the Eudora lifespan. But I'm not going to waste my
    time pointing this out to a Eudora fan-boy.

    Personally, I hate the way Eudora looks and operates, and there is no
    way I would ever consider paying for it. But that's why I don't ;-)

    Here's something I hate more: that in all of Eudora's greatness, the
    makers decided that I can not disable HTML email... but worse yet...
    the user can't stop the email client from loading remote images. What
    a wonderful work of art!

    Keep using Eudora if you like it. And people who like TB will keep
    using it. You really wasted your time trolling around in here with
    your rants. So keep paying for and using your remote image loading,
    HTML loving POS email client.

    It's just that simple.

    comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

    --
    Brian

    ..brian.., Mar 2, 2005
  8. John Guest

> [...]

    >I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
    >OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
    >be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
    >pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
    >it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!
    >
    >I find it hard to believe that the same company that created one of
    >the best, if not the absolute best browser (Firefox) in history, could
    >possibly create anything as horrible and user unfriendly and crappy as
    >Thunderbird. I will never install it again, considering there are is
    >a much better piece of software bundled with Windows, (Outlook
    >Express), except for the virus issues, which is why I do not regularly
    >use it. So, I will continue to pay for Eudora which as always been
    >the best.
    >
    >Thunderbird is horrible ! What a piece of Shit !

    Personally, I don't use it. I have used Eudora (sponsored mode - who care about
    that little ad?) for over ten years, and like it .

    <wink>
    What bothers me most, since your opinion on this subject is no doubt,
    absolutely, and definitely right - what about those thousands (perhaps tens of
    thousands) of poor people who have been deluded into thinking that Thunderbird
    is a good program?
    What are we going to do to save them from certain didaster?
    </wink>

    John <><

    John, Mar 2, 2005
  9. ..brian.. Guest

    ...brian.. wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I just have to say this. I installed Firefox several months ago,

    and
    > > absolutely love it. I decided that Thunderbird might be just as

    > good,
    > > even though I have been using Eudora for nearly 10 years.

    > Which is it? "nearly 10 years", or "using computers for 15 years".
    > Make up your mind, or learn to lie consistently.
    >
    > > I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x

    > > OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going

    > > be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten

    > WORST
    > > pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
    > > it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

    Or!! I should learn to read slower in the morning ;-)

    ..brian.., Mar 2, 2005
  10. Pun Krocker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
    > >OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
    > >be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
    > >pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
    > >it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

    20 plus years of computers and I can't remember when I first installed
    Thunderbird for e-mail (never been keen on it's newsgroup use), but it's
    been fine from day one (loading time 3 seconds approx).

    Funny old world we live in ;-)

    --
    d{ô_ô}b PK

    interviewing people who can't talk
    for people who can't read".

    Pun Krocker, Mar 2, 2005
  11. Pun Krocker Guest

    In article <>, coyote2
    @donotemail.com says...

    Pun Krocker, Mar 2, 2005
  12. ..brian.. Guest

    John wrote:
> [...]

    > >Express), except for the virus issues, which is why I do not

    regularly
    > >use it. So, I will continue to pay for Eudora which as always been
    > >the best.
    > >
    > >Thunderbird is horrible ! What a piece of Shit !

    > Personally, I don't use it. I have used Eudora (sponsored mode - who

    care about
    > that little ad?) for over ten years, and like it .
    >
    > <wink>
    > What bothers me most, since your opinion on this subject is no

    doubt,
    > absolutely, and definitely right - what about those thousands

    (perhaps tens of
    > thousands) of poor people who have been deluded into thinking that

    Thunderbird
    > is a good program?
    > What are we going to do to save them from certain didaster?

    LOL. If you guys, Eudora lovers, want the TB users who can't think for
    themselves... feel free to have them! ;-) Nobody is tricked into using
    the always Thunderbird, a good and always free email client, which is
    very young in development.

    Hmm... TB 1.0 vs Eudora 6.2.1...
    --
    Brian

    ..brian.., Mar 2, 2005
  13. On 3/2/2005 3:52 PM, Pun Krocker said:

    > 20 plus years of computers and I can't remember when I first installed
    > Thunderbird for e-mail (never been keen on it's newsgroup use), but it's
    > been fine from day one (loading time 3 seconds approx).
    >
    > Funny old world we live in ;-)

    Ain't it just?

    I've had similar problems to those of the original poster. But with
    various clients -- Outlook Distress, Mozilla Mail, TB. It's usually
    turned out to be something choking at the POP server. Maybe a
    corrupt/malformed message that disappeared after a friendly e-mail to
    the ISP, thus freeing up the rest.

    Switched from Moz Mail to TB last year, and it's almost the perfect
    replacement. Installed right away, etc. The only irritant is that when I
    compose by clicking a mailto link in FF, TB doesn't load my sig file.
    Odd but hardly a deal-breaker.

    cheers,

    David H

    David Harrison, Mar 2, 2005
  14. Pun Krocker wrote:
    > In article <>, coyote2
    > @donotemail.com says...
    >
    >>I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
    >>OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
    >>be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
    >>pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
    >>it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!
    >>

    > 20 plus years of computers and I can't remember when I first installed
    > Thunderbird for e-mail (never been keen on it's newsgroup use), but it's
    > been fine from day one (loading time 3 seconds approx).
    >
    > Funny old world we live in ;-)

    The months fade into years pretty quickly. I first installed it when it
    was Minotaur 0.1. It worked pretty well then, and its come a long,
    long way since. Its still a young program, and has a lot of maturing to
    do, no doubt about it. Personally, I don;t think its really at a 1.0
    level yet, its more of a beta, though a very good beta.

    To address the OP's problem, though he evidently doesn't care about
    making it work at this point, obviously the import from Eudora didn't
    work well. TB is designed to be user friendly to the former OE user,
    and most OE imports do go well. I've never used Eudora, so I can't speak
    as to why it went wrong.

    The big problem was when he tried to rectify the situation with a clean
    install. Clearly he doesn't understand the concept of profiles.

    Coyote, had you simply opened Profile Manager:

    Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Thunderbird>>Profile Manager

    and used PM to create a new profile, there would have been no need to
    uninstall/reinstall. When you did that, the new installation looked to
    see if there was an existing profile, and, finding it, used it. A new
    profile would have given you the clean start you were looking for.

    Then again, had you come here in the first place, we could have given
    you that advice, and walked you through it, as opposed to your trying to
    make a program work when you really didn't understand it, then coming
    here to complain when you smushed it up.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 2, 2005
  15. David Harrison wrote:
    > On 3/2/2005 3:52 PM, Pun Krocker said:
    >
    >> 20 plus years of computers and I can't remember when I first installed
    >> Thunderbird for e-mail (never been keen on it's newsgroup use), but
    >> it's been fine from day one (loading time 3 seconds approx).
    >>
    >> Funny old world we live in ;-)

    > Ain't it just?
    >
    > I've had similar problems to those of the original poster. But with
    > various clients -- Outlook Distress, Mozilla Mail, TB. It's usually
    > turned out to be something choking at the POP server. Maybe a
    > corrupt/malformed message that disappeared after a friendly e-mail to
    > the ISP, thus freeing up the rest.
    >
    > Switched from Moz Mail to TB last year, and it's almost the perfect
    > replacement. Installed right away, etc. The only irritant is that when I
    > compose by clicking a mailto link in FF, TB doesn't load my sig file.
    > Odd but hardly a deal-breaker.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David H

    I'll have to check that. I don't have a sig file set for my default
    email, I would have expected it to load it up.

    Well, from here, clicking on a mailto in FF brings up a TB Compose
    window, using the default email, with sig. I did note if I used
    File>>Send Link, the sig was not added. Do the mailto's that don;t addd
    the sig hahve any prewritten material in the body?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 2, 2005
  16. Salut à toi *Bryan Harrison*, tu nous disais ce mercredi 02/03/2005
    dans <news:d0436o$k26$> vers 11:06:16 le mélange
    de mots suivant :

    >> Thunderbird is horrible ! What a piece of Shit !

    > Thanks. I'll stop using it immediately.
    > Damn, I have been deluding myself for the past 2 years.
    > Now.. how do you re-install Outlook Express?

    rofl

    --
    L'erreur est de croire qu'on est seul devant ses problèmes !
    Utilisez le butineur, le lecteur de courrier et de nouvelles avec

    Michel Doucet, Mar 2, 2005
  17. I can't see where/how to put in signature so it loads automatically. Please
    help. Thanks.

    Charles Cobb Jr, Mar 2, 2005
  18. GFRfan Guest

    Charles Cobb Jr wrote:
    > I can't see where/how to put in signature so it loads automatically.

    Please
    > help. Thanks.

    tools>account settings>check attach this signature>choose

    GFRfan, Mar 2, 2005
  19. John Guest

    On 2 Mar 2005 08:24:18 -0800, "..brian.." <> wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >> <wink>
    >> What bothers me most, since your opinion on this subject is no

    >doubt,
    >> absolutely, and definitely right - what about those thousands

    >(perhaps tens of
    >> thousands) of poor people who have been deluded into thinking that

    >Thunderbird
    >> is a good program?
    >> What are we going to do to save them from certain didaster?
    >> </wink>
    >>
    >> John

    >LOL. If you guys, Eudora lovers, want the TB users who can't think for
    >themselves... feel free to have them! ;-) Nobody is tricked into using
    >the always Thunderbird, a good and always free email client, which is
    >very young in development.
    >
    >Hmm... TB 1.0 vs Eudora 6.2.1...

    Hey, Brian: Lighten up! You obviously did not note I was poking fun at
    and all others who are so absolutely convinced that the
    program they are using is the absolute best, the only thing, and everything elso
    is sub-standard.

    In all fairness, there are Eudora users who feel that way, and there are
    Thunderbird users who feel that way.

    As far as I am concerned - I have a mail program I like and use, and it does the
    job for me. My browser of choice is Firefox (the reason I monitor this group)
    and my mail client of choice is not Thunderbird.
    As far as anyone else is concerned: "Whatever blows up your skirt" (quoting Pat
    Sajak).

    So: Whatever blows up your skirt, Btrian (-:

    John <><

    John, Mar 2, 2005
  20. Guest

    On 2 Mar 2005 07:19:40 -0800, "..brian.." <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I just have to say this. I installed Firefox several months ago, and
    >> absolutely love it. I decided that Thunderbird might be just as

    >good,
    >> even though I have been using Eudora for nearly 10 years.

    >Which is it? "nearly 10 years", or "using computers for 15 years".
    >Make up your mind, or learn to lie consistently.
    >
    >> I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
    >> OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
    >> be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten

    >WORST
    >> pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
    >> it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

    >But you enjoy using ME!? I'm amazed at your high-tech credentials, and
    >now I value your opinion much more than /before/ I knew of your vast
    >computer experience.
    >
    >But anyway, do you feel better now? It's too bad you just wasted time
    >ranting about TB to people who don't give a shit. Just as I'm wasting
    >my time replying to a Eudora fan-boy. Here in AFM, we don't care if
    >you don't like Thunderbird; just quit using it. It's that simple.
    >It's your choice, and you didn't loose anything by trying it. It's
    >free.
    >
    >You might want to try your whining over on comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
    >-- with other people who love Eudora.
    >
    >Just as you hate TB, there are plenty of people who hate Eudora. I can
    >post links to multiple newsgroup posts, and a ton of "Eudora problem"
    >related posts from the Eudora lifespan. But I'm not going to waste my
    >time pointing this out to a Eudora fan-boy.
    >
    >Personally, I hate the way Eudora looks and operates, and there is no
    >way I would ever consider paying for it. But that's why I don't ;-)
    >
    >Here's something I hate more: that in all of Eudora's greatness, the
    >makers decided that I can not disable HTML email... but worse yet...
    >the user can't stop the email client from loading remote images. What
    >a wonderful work of art!
    >
    >Keep using Eudora if you like it. And people who like TB will keep
    >using it. You really wasted your time trolling around in here with
    >your rants. So keep paying for and using your remote image loading,
    >HTML loving POS email client.
    >
    >It's just that simple.
    >
    >comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

    I am not trolling, as well as I am not telling anyone to, or not to
    use Thunderbird. I am sure that those who work with Thunderbird read
    this group, and I am giving honest feedback as to my experience with
    it.

    I said I used COMPUTERS for 15 years, Eudora for 10. Prior to that, I
    did not have internet. In the early 90's most people used local BBS
    services, as did I, and the internet was not readily available to the
    public yet.

    I am not sure why you dislike Windows ME. I used Win98 since shortly
    after it became available. It always worked well, although it had a
    few bugs. I recently got a copy of ME given to me, so I upgraded.
    It's the same as 98, minus a few bugs. This is an older computer, and
    most likely could not run XP. However, I do not like XP anyhow. It's
    geared toward people that want to plug in their computer and not learn
    how to use it. I like the ability to control what my computer does,
    as 98 and ME allow. I have no interest in upgrading.

    As for Eudora, it does have a few flaws, and you touched on the one
    that I also find most irritating. I do not care for HTML email. This
    is the biggest flaw in Eudora, along with occasional crashes. I
    actually have TWO versions of Eudora installed. The very old TEXT
    ONLY version 3.0.5, and one of the newer ones. Most of the time I
    still use the old version 3.x because it is text only and very simple.
    Thats the problem with most software, they keep adding useless junk in
    order to make more sales. Emoticons is a good example of useless
    garbage. These companies should learn the KISS method

    K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid.