    instance, http://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/ has a "Login" button in the
    upper right. I need to use IE for that. Is there a way to fix that or
    is it some feature associated with virus protections or adware suppression?

    Stubby, Mar 9, 2006

    Hendrik Maryns, Mar 9, 2006

  3. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    > NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
    >
    > Stubby schreef:
    >> I frequently stumble when Thunderbird does display certain controls or
    >> they don't work. Reverting to Internet Explorer is required. For
    >> instance, http://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/ has a "Login" button in the
    >> upper right. I need to use IE for that. Is there a way to fix that or
    >> is it some feature associated with virus protections or adware suppression?

    > You surely mean Firefox. There is no problem here, and I?m on Linux.

    Yes. I can't keep them straight. (Why can't they just call them the
    "browser" and the "mail" programs?)

    > Anyway, instead of reverting to IE, you might want to install the IETab
    > extension, which lets you open IE in a tab in Firefox:
    > http://ietab.mozdev.org/.

    I did that. During the installation of 1.0.8 I noticed that I already
    had 1.0.7 ! I don't know how to turn it on.

    The major problem is that simple users must do something different to
    see common web pages. Thunderbird, FoxFire and Sunbird should be
    equivalent to their Microsoft counterparts, but safer and more reliable.
    Then, we can start talking about additional features.

    Stubby, Mar 9, 2006
  4. Stubby

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Stubby* wrote:

    > The major problem is that simple users must do something different to
    > see common web pages. Thunderbird, FoxFire and Sunbird should be
    > equivalent to their Microsoft counterparts, but safer and more
    > reliable. Then, we can start talking about additional features.

    That login "button" you have problems with (in Firfox) is a part of a
    simple menu of text links, nothing more (<li><a
    href="/login.jsp">LOGIN</a></li>). Most links are done that way, so I
    don't understand why you should have any problems with it, with any
    browser. Probably just a temporary server side error (after all it's a
    link to a .jsp page), if you did'nt do anything strange your self. :)

    The Mozilla browsers *are* equivalent to their Microsoft counterpart,
    just safer. The differences are the security aspects and badly coded
    webpages, often with MS/IE specific and not standard crap used on them.

    --
    /Arne

    Google Group Users, read about The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Arne, Mar 9, 2006
  5. Stubby

    Jedi Fans Guest

    On 09/03/06 14:03, Stubby scribbled:

    Try upgrading to 1.5.0.1 ? <url:http://getfirefox.com/>

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5 RC2,

    Jedi Fans, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Stubby

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Jedi Fans* wrote:
    > On 09/03/06 14:03, Stubby scribbled:
    >>

    >> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    >>> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message

    >>> You surely mean Firefox. There is no problem here, and I?m on Linux.

    >> Yes. I can't keep them straight. (Why can't they just call them the
    >> "browser" and the "mail" programs?)
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, instead of reverting to IE, you might want to install the IETab
    >>> extension, which lets you open IE in a tab in Firefox:
    >>> http://ietab.mozdev.org/.

    >> I did that. During the installation of 1.0.8 I noticed that I already
    >> had 1.0.7 ! I don't know how to turn it on.
    >>
    >> The major problem is that simple users must do something different to
    >> see common web pages. Thunderbird, FoxFire and Sunbird should be
    >> equivalent to their Microsoft counterparts, but safer and more reliable.
    >> Then, we can start talking about additional features.
    >>

    >>> HTH, H.
    >>>

    > Try upgrading to 1.5.0.1 ? <url:http://getfirefox.com/>

    His was talking about the IETab extension, not Ff (or Tb) :)

    Arne, Mar 9, 2006
  7. Stubby

    default Guest

    On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:17:06 -0500, Stubby
    <> wrote:

    >Again, why should I have to do _anything_ to get the same results as IE?

    Or why shouldn't IE try to emulate FF? FF isn't (or shouldn't) be
    trying to mimic IE, they are building their own browser. IE doesn't
    set the standard.

    You don't have to use it if you don't like it.

    default, Mar 9, 2006
  8. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Stubby, Mar 9, 2006
  9. Stubby

    gwtc Guest

    Stubby wrote:

    > I frequently stumble when Thunderbird does display certain controls or
    > they don't work. Reverting to Internet Explorer is required. For
    > instance, http://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/ has a "Login" button in the
    > upper right. I need to use IE for that. Is there a way to fix that or
    > is it some feature associated with virus protections or adware suppression?

    what do you mean "they don't work?" Need more info in order to help

    gwtc, Mar 9, 2006
  10. Stubby

    Jedi Fans Guest

    On 09/03/06 21:17, Stubby scribbled:

    > Arne wrote:
    >> Once upon a time *Jedi Fans* wrote:
    >>> On 09/03/06 14:03, Stubby scribbled:

    >>> Try upgrading to 1.5.0.1 ? <url:http://getfirefox.com/>
    >>>

    >> His was talking about the IETab extension, not Ff (or Tb) :)
    >>

    > Again, why should I have to do _anything_ to get the same results as IE?

    That page works fine in 1.5.0.1 on SUSE Linux 10.0... hence
    problem wasn't reproduced.

    Jedi Fans, Mar 9, 2006
  11. Stubby

    Jedi Fans Guest

    On 09/03/06 21:17, Stubby scribbled:

    > Arne wrote:
    >> His was talking about the IETab extension, not Ff (or Tb) :)
    >>

    > Again, why should I have to do _anything_ to get the same results as IE?

    Sorry to Arne and sorry for the misunderstanding ;P, Tiscali
    UK drops messages and hence didn't see your reply

    Jedi Fans, Mar 9, 2006
  12. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    default wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:17:06 -0500, Stubby
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Again, why should I have to do _anything_ to get the same results as IE?

    > Or why shouldn't IE try to emulate FF? FF isn't (or shouldn't) be
    > trying to mimic IE, they are building their own browser. IE doesn't
    > set the standard.

    Yes it does. Microsoft has 90% of the market. It is included on every
    machine sold. Any contender must provide solid reasons for changing.
    Would you replace the ignition system on your car just because somebody
    said their look-alike ignition was "better"?

    > You don't have to use it if you don't like it.

    I use TB and FF because they do seem to provide better
    virus/popup/malware/hijack protection than IE. I also like the way the
    user profiles are organized and generally in files that can be read with
    NotePad. Simplicity counts for something.

    If IE 7 provides the same level of protection, we'll switch back just so
    we are guaranteed that it will work with _all_ web sites.

    Stubby, Mar 11, 2006
  13. Stubby

    Andy J. Guest

    Stubby wrote:
    >> <> wrote:
    >> Or why shouldn't IE try to emulate FF? FF isn't (or shouldn't) be
    >> trying to mimic IE, they are building their own browser. IE doesn't
    >> set the standard.

    > Yes it does. Microsoft has 90% of the market. It is included on every
    > machine sold. Any contender must provide solid reasons for changing.
    > Would you replace the ignition system on your car just because somebody
    > said their look-alike ignition was "better"?

    Actually I think you'll find the likes of the W3C set the standard and
    for that matter define it. Microsoft (with their I.E.) just implement
    it (and not particularly well at that). Just because it's included on
    every machine sold (a fact I would dispute) doesn't mean much really
    does it? Every car sold is capable of exceeding the speed limit, it
    doesn't mean you HAVE to drive everywhere at 100MPH.

    Andy J.

    Andy J., Mar 11, 2006
  14. Stubby

    Z Guest

    Stubby wrote:
    > Yes it does. Microsoft has 90% of the market. It is included on every
    > machine sold. Any contender must provide solid reasons for changing.
    > Would you replace the ignition system on your car just because somebody
    > said their look-alike ignition was "better"?

    If the ignition that came with the car had as many major exploits and
    vulnerabilities as IE, you bet I would.

    If you like owning a botted, trojaned or rooted machine, then IE is your
    browser. Enjoy!

    Z, Mar 12, 2006
  15. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Stubby wrote:
    >> Yes it does. Microsoft has 90% of the market. It is included on
    >> every machine sold. Any contender must provide solid reasons for
    >> changing. Would you replace the ignition system on your car just
    >> because somebody said their look-alike ignition was "better"?

    > If the ignition that came with the car had as many major exploits and
    > vulnerabilities as IE, you bet I would.
    >
    > If you like owning a botted, trojaned or rooted machine, then IE is your
    > browser. Enjoy!

    Are you an authority on IE 7?

    Stubby, Mar 12, 2006
  16. Stubby

    Sniper .308 Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:57:48 -0500, Stubby
    <> wrote:

    >> If you like owning a botted, trojaned or rooted machine, then IE is your
    >> browser. Enjoy!

    >Are you an authority on IE 7?

    If you bothered to actually READ the reports published by numerous
    network security experts you would see IE is a piece of shit, no mater
    what version it is. IE isn't even a separate program, it is a windows
    shell the same as windows explorer. Which allows for direct access to
    windows itself with very little effort on a hackers part. If you
    actually knew anything about network security you wouldn't embarrass
    yourself by trying to defend IE.

    Sniper .308, Mar 12, 2006
  17. Stubby

    <> wrote:

    >> If you like owning a botted, trojaned or rooted machine, then IE is your
    >> browser. Enjoy!

    >Are you an authority on IE 7?

    Posted January 11th, 2006

    Internet Explorer security exploits
    Serious new Internet Explorer security exploits have been detected on
    the Internet. This post contains recommendations on how to help secure
    your computer against malicious websites.
    This most recent attack, as documented by the US Government's Computer
    Emergency Response Team, allows a computer to become infected simply
    by visiting a website that has a malicious image. Many such "Zero Day"
    attacks are not blocked by anti-virus software.
    If your computer is not protected or updated, simply viewing the
    webpage in Internet Explorer could allow an attacker to take complete
    control of your computer, including:
    Running arbitrary code on your computer, such as spam-sending robots
    Accessing any file on your computer, including stored credit card
    numbers, financial records, and private documents
    Destroying data on your computer, formatting the hard disk, or erasing
    files
    More information about this vulnerability can be found in the
    following:

    US-CERT Vulnerability Note: VU#181038 -Microsoft Windows Metafile
    handler vulnerability

    Technical Cyber Security Alert: TA06-005A - Update for Microsoft
    Windows Metafile Vulnerability

    Cyber Security Alert: SA06-005A - Microsoft Windows Metafile
    Vulnerability

    Microsoft Security Bulletin: MS06-001

    Sniper .308, Mar 12, 2006
  18. Stubby

    <> wrote:

    >Z wrote:

    >> If you like owning a botted, trojaned or rooted machine, then IE is your
    >> browser. Enjoy!

    Perfect example, CoolWebSearch parasite

    http://allentech.net/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

    Sniper .308, Mar 12, 2006
  19. Stubby

    <> wrote:

    >Z wrote:

    >> If you like owning a botted, trojaned or rooted machine, then IE is your
    >> browser. Enjoy!

    >Are you an authority on IE 7?

    In fact if you read through this list of 157 browser parasites and
    exploits you will see the majority of them target IE. And these are
    just commercial software (aka Adware).

    http://allentech.net/parasite/list.phtml

    Sniper .308, Mar 12, 2006
  20. Stubby

    Z Guest

    Sniper .308 wrote:
    >>> If you like owning a botted, trojaned or rooted machine, then IE is your
    >>> browser. Enjoy!

    >> Are you an authority on IE 7?

    > In fact if you read through this list of 157 browser parasites and
    > exploits you will see the majority of them target IE. And these are
    > just commercial software (aka Adware).
    >
    > http://allentech.net/parasite/list.phtml

    Thanks for the multiple posts about IE's vulnerabilities, Sniper, but I
    don't think there's any way to pry open Stubby's eyes.

    Z, Mar 12, 2006