    for Inbox." Is there a way to fix this problem?

    Thanks
    Ralph

    Ralph, Jul 26, 2006

  2. Ralph

    gwtc Guest

    Ralph wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > The last few days every time I launch Thunderbird, there is a delay of
    > about 60 to 90 seconds before my e-mail messages start downloading. On
    > the bottom left of the pane, there is a message "Building Summary File
    > for Inbox." Is there a way to fix this problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ralph

    close TB, then using your file manager, locate the mail section of the
    TB profile. Inside it, you will find a bunch of files that end in
    *.msf. Once found, delete them. Does this work now?

    To find your TB profile, you can read this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate

    but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

    --
    So, You Think You Know Everything?

    Guess Who came before Who.

    gwtc, Jul 26, 2006

  3. Ralph

    Ralph Guest

    Thanks for your support. Yes, the problem has gone away. Just curious,
    what are those .msf files about anyway?

    Ralph

    Ralph, Jul 26, 2006
  4. Ralph

    gwtc Guest

    Ralph wrote:
    > Thanks for your support. Yes, the problem has gone away. Just curious,
    > what are those .msf files about anyway?
    >
    > Ralph
    >
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Ralph wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> The last few days every time I launch Thunderbird, there is a delay of
    >>> about 60 to 90 seconds before my e-mail messages start downloading. On
    >>> the bottom left of the pane, there is a message "Building Summary File
    >>> for Inbox." Is there a way to fix this problem?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Ralph

    >> close TB, then using your file manager, locate the mail section of the
    >> TB profile. Inside it, you will find a bunch of files that end in
    >> *.msf. Once found, delete them. Does this work now?
    >>
    >> To find your TB profile, you can read this:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate
    >>
    >> but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

    the *.msf files are indexing files. They keep track of which files are
    labelled, which ones are flagged, which way things are sorted and
    threaded, and a few other things. They can become corrupted very
    quickly. Whenever anything goes wrong with the mail section, the vast
    majority of times it can be traced back to the *.msf files.

    But the thing that gets me is some people have them corrupted all the
    time, while others, like me, never have those problems.

    gwtc, Jul 26, 2006