Thunderbird sluggish

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by finbogey, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. finbogey

    finbogey Guest

    IS TB sluggish for anyone else? I've compacted the inboxes, but it's
    still really sluggish. And by sluggish, I mean a lot of things:

    Often when it's screen is behind others on my desktop, when I click on
    its tab in the taskbar, it can take a minute to come to the front.

    Often when it is at the front, when I click on a different mailbox in
    the left pane, it will take a minute to change to that mailbox.

    Sometimes when writing an email, the displayed text is waay behind my
    typing (and I'm a hunt'n'peck guy).

    No other programs exhibit this behavior,though to be careful, I bought
    System Mechanic and cleaned my registry, etc. I also use 2
    anti-spyware programs, anti-virus, and a firewall, so I don't think I
    have an infected system. I have two USB external HDs. I thought maybe
    they were part of the problem (two many file-handles, who knows, I'm
    grasping at straws at this point). But I disconnected them and no
    change.

    Am I really the only person with this problem? I love TB, but this is
    killing me constantly having to wait for TB to come around.

    Earlier version of TB didn't do this. At the moment I'm on TB 1.5
    20051025.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted my own
    ideas.

    fin

    finbogey, Dec 16, 2005

  2. finbogey

    Tony Raven Guest

    finbogey wrote:

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted my own
    > ideas.

    Are you running any themes? Try using the default theme and see if it
    helps.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    Tony Raven, Dec 16, 2005

  3. finbogey

    finbogey Guest

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:11:25 +0000, Tony Raven <>
    wrote:

    >finbogey wrote:
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted my own
    >> ideas.
    >>

    >Are you running any themes? Try using the default theme and see if it
    >helps.

    Nope, running the defaut theme.

    finbogey, Dec 16, 2005
  4. finbogey

    gwtc Guest

    finbogey wrote:

    > IS TB sluggish for anyone else? I've compacted the inboxes, but it's
    > still really sluggish. And by sluggish, I mean a lot of things:
    >
    > Often when it's screen is behind others on my desktop, when I click on
    > its tab in the taskbar, it can take a minute to come to the front.
    >
    > Often when it is at the front, when I click on a different mailbox in
    > the left pane, it will take a minute to change to that mailbox.
    >
    > Sometimes when writing an email, the displayed text is waay behind my
    > typing (and I'm a hunt'n'peck guy).
    >
    > No other programs exhibit this behavior,though to be careful, I bought
    > System Mechanic and cleaned my registry, etc. I also use 2
    > anti-spyware programs, anti-virus, and a firewall, so I don't think I
    > have an infected system. I have two USB external HDs. I thought maybe
    > they were part of the problem (two many file-handles, who knows, I'm
    > grasping at straws at this point). But I disconnected them and no
    > change.
    >
    > Am I really the only person with this problem? I love TB, but this is
    > killing me constantly having to wait for TB to come around.
    >
    > Earlier version of TB didn't do this. At the moment I'm on TB 1.5
    > 20051025.
    >

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted my own
    > ideas.
    >

    > fin

    try defraging your hard drive

    gwtc, Dec 17, 2005
  5. finbogey

    Tony Raven Guest

    finbogey wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:11:25 +0000, Tony Raven <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> finbogey wrote:
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted my own
    >>> ideas.
    >>>

    >> Are you running any themes? Try using the default theme and see if it
    >> helps.

    > Nope, running the defaut theme.

    Assuming you've done the extensions and themes checks then the other
    time I had TB go sluggish on me was a corrupted msf file which meant it
    kept rebuilding the file everytime I tried to select a folder. I can't
    remember whether I just deleted the file and let it rebuild or had to
    copy all the messages to another folder, delete the original folder,
    recreate it and copy the messages back.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    Tony Raven, Dec 17, 2005
  6. finbogey

    finbogey Guest

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:49:24 -0800, gwtc
    <> wrote:

    >finbogey wrote:
    >
    >> IS TB sluggish for anyone else? I've compacted the inboxes, but it's
    >> still really sluggish. And by sluggish, I mean a lot of things:
    >>
    >> Often when it's screen is behind others on my desktop, when I click on
    >> its tab in the taskbar, it can take a minute to come to the front.
    >>
    >> Often when it is at the front, when I click on a different mailbox in
    >> the left pane, it will take a minute to change to that mailbox.
    >>
    >> Sometimes when writing an email, the displayed text is waay behind my
    >> typing (and I'm a hunt'n'peck guy).
    >>
    >> No other programs exhibit this behavior,though to be careful, I bought
    >> System Mechanic and cleaned my registry, etc. I also use 2
    >> anti-spyware programs, anti-virus, and a firewall, so I don't think I
    >> have an infected system. I have two USB external HDs. I thought maybe
    >> they were part of the problem (two many file-handles, who knows, I'm
    >> grasping at straws at this point). But I disconnected them and no
    >> change.
    >>
    >> Am I really the only person with this problem? I love TB, but this is
    >> killing me constantly having to wait for TB to come around.
    >>
    >> Earlier version of TB didn't do this. At the moment I'm on TB 1.5
    >> 20051025.
    >>

    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted my own
    >> ideas.
    >>

    >> fin

    >try defraging your hard drive

    yup, did it, made no difference

    finbogey, Dec 17, 2005
  7. finbogey wrote:

    >IS TB sluggish for anyone else? I've compacted the inboxes, but it's
    >still really sluggish. And by sluggish, I mean a lot of things:
    >
    >Often when it's screen is behind others on my desktop, when I click on
    >its tab in the taskbar, it can take a minute to come to the front.
    >
    >Often when it is at the front, when I click on a different mailbox in
    >the left pane, it will take a minute to change to that mailbox.
    >
    >Sometimes when writing an email, the displayed text is waay behind my
    >typing (and I'm a hunt'n'peck guy).
    >
    >No other programs exhibit this behavior,though to be careful, I bought
    >System Mechanic and cleaned my registry, etc. I also use 2
    >anti-spyware programs, anti-virus, and a firewall, so I don't think I
    >have an infected system. I have two USB external HDs. I thought maybe
    >they were part of the problem (two many file-handles, who knows, I'm
    >grasping at straws at this point). But I disconnected them and no
    >change.
    >
    >Am I really the only person with this problem? I love TB, but this is
    >killing me constantly having to wait for TB to come around.
    >
    >Earlier version of TB didn't do this. At the moment I'm on TB 1.5
    >20051025.
    >

    >Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted my own
    >ideas.
    >

    >fin

    I dont respond to crossposted messages, pick ONE newsgroup and post

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 10, 2006
  8. finbogey

    Sniper .308 Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:52:03 GMT, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    <> wrote:

    >I dont respond to crossposted messages, pick ONE newsgroup and post

    Ummmmm, you just did! So, you could have at least posted something
    useful.

    Sniper .308, Jan 10, 2006
  9. Sniper .308 wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:52:03 GMT, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>I dont respond to crossposted messages, pick ONE newsgroup and post
    >>

    >Ummmmm, you just did! So, you could have at least posted something
    >useful.

    I dont participate in crossposting, especially between multiple servers.
    That is useful information, at least to some

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 11, 2006