    Can somebody tell me how to do this? Have hunted to no avail.

    Thanks,

    Liora

    Liora, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Liora

    gwtc Guest

    Liora wrote:

    > When I reply to mail, the reply automatically goes below the quoted
    > text. I'd really like to have it go above.
    >
    > Can somebody tell me how to do this? Have hunted to no avail.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Liora

    Well Liora, you didn't hunt very good. Its Tools, Account Settings,
    select the account, and under Composition & Addressing, select
    "automatically quote the original message when replying" and in the
    drop down select "start my reply above the quote."

    gwtc, Oct 19, 2005

  3. Liora

    Liora Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Liora wrote:
    >
    >> When I reply to mail, the reply automatically goes below the quoted
    >> text. I'd really like to have it go above.
    >>
    >> Can somebody tell me how to do this? Have hunted to no avail.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Liora

    > Well Liora, you didn't hunt very good. Its Tools, Account Settings,
    > select the account, and under Composition & Addressing, select
    > "automatically quote the original message when replying" and in the drop
    > down select "start my reply above the quote."

    Thanks for the information, but the rudeness was unnecessary.

    Liora, Oct 19, 2005
  4. Liora

    gwtc Guest

    Liora wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> Liora wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I reply to mail, the reply automatically goes below the quoted
    >>> text. I'd really like to have it go above.
    >>>
    >>> Can somebody tell me how to do this? Have hunted to no avail.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Liora

    >> Well Liora, you didn't hunt very good. Its Tools, Account Settings,
    >> select the account, and under Composition & Addressing, select
    >> "automatically quote the original message when replying" and in the
    >> drop down select "start my reply above the quote."

    > Thanks for the information, but the rudeness was unnecessary.

    then the next time I won't help you

    good day

    gwtc, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Liora

    vernon Guest

    Liora wrote:
    > When I reply to mail, the reply automatically goes below the quoted
    > text. I'd really like to have it go above.
    >
    > Can somebody tell me how to do this? Have hunted to no avail.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Liora

    Standard netiquet is "below", that is why the default is below.

    If you want the reply "above", even whith default below, set your cursor
    above or in the middle and type.

    vernon, Oct 19, 2005
  6. vernon wrote:
    > Liora wrote:

    snip

    > Standard netiquet is "below", that is why the default is below.
    >
    > If you want the reply "above", even whith default below, set your cursor
    > above or in the middle and type.

    True, but in many cases email recipients who are unused to newsgroups
    get confused by bottom posted replies That's why its nice to be able to
    set this on an account by account basis, so mail accounts can be set at
    the top and news accounts at the bottom.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 19, 2005
  7. vernon schreef:
    > Liora wrote:
    >
    >> When I reply to mail, the reply automatically goes below the quoted
    >> text. I'd really like to have it go above.
    >>
    >> Can somebody tell me how to do this? Have hunted to no avail.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Liora

    > Standard netiquet is "below", that is why the default is below.
    >
    > If you want the reply "above", even whith default below, set your cursor
    > above or in the middle and type.

    Indeed it is a good custom to type below the text, but in e-mail
    otherwise might be appropriate.

    This used to be possible in the Mozilla Suite, I think it will be again
    in the future versions, but you could get it now by fiddling with one of
    the about:config settings.
    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org

    Hendrik Maryns, Oct 19, 2005
  8. Leonidas Jones schreef:
    > vernon wrote:
    >
    >> Liora wrote:

    > snip
    >
    >> Standard netiquet is "below", that is why the default is below.
    >>
    >> If you want the reply "above", even whith default below, set your
    >> cursor above or in the middle and type.

    > True, but in many cases email recipients who are unused to newsgroups
    > get confused by bottom posted replies That's why its nice to be able to
    > set this on an account by account basis, so mail accounts can be set at
    > the top and news accounts at the bottom.

    Ah, indeed I knew that this was possible. It is not in the general
    options, but in the account options. Go to Account Options, choose the
    account which you want to edit, -> Compose and addressing, and you'll
    find all possibilities there.

    H.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org

    Hendrik Maryns, Oct 19, 2005
  9. Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones schreef:
    >> vernon wrote:
    >>
    >>> Liora wrote:

    >> snip
    >>
    >>> Standard netiquet is "below", that is why the default is below.
    >>>
    >>> If you want the reply "above", even whith default below, set your
    >>> cursor above or in the middle and type.

    >> True, but in many cases email recipients who are unused to newsgroups
    >> get confused by bottom posted replies That's why its nice to be able
    >> to set this on an account by account basis, so mail accounts can be
    >> set at the top and news accounts at the bottom.

    > Ah, indeed I knew that this was possible. It is not in the general
    > options, but in the account options. Go to Account Options, choose the
    > account which you want to edit, -> Compose and addressing, and you'll
    > find all possibilities there.
    >
    > H.

    Yes, exactly as gwtc indicated.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 19, 2005
  10. Liora

    vernon Guest

    Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    > vernon schreef:
    >
    >> Liora wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I reply to mail, the reply automatically goes below the quoted
    >>> text. I'd really like to have it go above.
    >>>
    >>> Can somebody tell me how to do this? Have hunted to no avail.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Liora

    >> Standard netiquet is "below", that is why the default is below.
    >>
    >> If you want the reply "above", even whith default below, set your
    >> cursor above or in the middle and type.

    > Indeed it is a good custom to type below the text, but in e-mail
    > otherwise might be appropriate.
    >
    > This used to be possible in the Mozilla Suite, I think it will be again
    > in the future versions, but you could get it now by fiddling with one of
    > the about:config settings.

    If someone sends an e-mail and you have a short answer, top posting is
    great, just place the cursor there and go.

    Sometimes one may even wish to delete the original or most of it.

    vernon, Oct 19, 2005
  11. Liora

    vernon Guest

    You can answer way at the top
    See below

    Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    > vernon schreef:
    >
    >> Liora wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I reply to mail, the reply automatically goes below the quoted
    >>> text. I'd really like to have it go above.

    You can answer in the middle

    >>> Can somebody tell me how to do this? Have hunted to no avail.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Liora

    You can answer twice in the middle
    See below

    >> Standard netiquet is "below", that is why the default is below.
    >>
    >> If you want the reply "above", even whith default below, set your
    >> cursor above or in the middle and type.

    > Indeed it is a good custom to type below the text, but in e-mail
    > otherwise might be appropriate.
    >
    > This used to be possible in the Mozilla Suite, I think it will be again
    > in the future versions, but you could get it now by fiddling with one of
    > the about:config settings.

    You can answer on the bottom

    vernon, Oct 19, 2005
  12. Liora

    Liora Guest

    vernon wrote:
    > Liora wrote:
    >
    >> When I reply to mail, the reply automatically goes below the quoted
    >> text. I'd really like to have it go above.
    >>
    >> Can somebody tell me how to do this? Have hunted to no avail.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Liora

    > Standard netiquet is "below", that is why the default is below.
    >
    > If you want the reply "above", even whith default below, set your cursor
    > above or in the middle and type.

    I think the default in Outlook is above, so most are going to be
    expecting a reply above their text when it comes to email. Plus when
    reading email, it's nice to just see the reply without having to scroll
    -- especially when using a split screen to preview.

    Liora, Oct 19, 2005
  13. Liora

    vernon Guest

    Outlook has not quite the variances that TB has.

    It just pops the original message on the screen (IF one has defaults set
    to include the original in the response.

    Scrolling down is no big deal if one remembers to use the scroll bar on
    the side.

    A message long enough to be a nuisance to scroll should probably be
    snipped, with only a cogent beginning included in the response. Time,
    disk space and bandwidth are some other "netiquet" goodies.

    vernon, Oct 19, 2005
  14. Liora

    WSP Guest

    Liora wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> Liora wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I reply to mail, the reply automatically goes below the quoted
    >>> text. I'd really like to have it go above.
    >>>
    >>> Can somebody tell me how to do this? Have hunted to no avail.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Liora

    >> Well Liora, you didn't hunt very good. Its Tools, Account Settings,
    >> select the account, and under Composition & Addressing, select
    >> "automatically quote the original message when replying" and in the
    >> drop down select "start my reply above the quote."

    > Thanks for the information, but the rudeness was unnecessary.

    Liora
    gwtc might be rude (and I think he is too) but he gives very useful
    advice and is one of the most helpful people on this list. He is unpaid,
    under-thanked and extra willing. Sad to lose him as an ally.
    If I ever adopt a wee pussy-cat I'll name it gwtc (if I could pronounce it!)

    WSP, Oct 19, 2005
  15. Liora

    gwtc Guest

    WSP wrote:

    > Liora wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> Well Liora, you didn't hunt very good. Its Tools, Account Settings,
    >>> select the account, and under Composition & Addressing, select
    >>> "automatically quote the original message when replying" and in the
    >>> drop down select "start my reply above the quote."

    >> Thanks for the information, but the rudeness was unnecessary.

    > Liora
    > gwtc might be rude (and I think he is too) but he gives very useful
    > advice and is one of the most helpful people on this list. He is unpaid,
    > under-thanked and extra willing. Sad to lose him as an ally.

    Thank you. I didn't say I was leaving, I just said I won't help that
    person again

    > If I ever adopt a wee pussy-cat I'll name it gwtc (if I could pronounce
    > it!)

    gwtc isn't a name, they're initials.

    gwtc, Oct 19, 2005
  16. gwtc wrote:
    > WSP wrote:
    >
    >> Liora wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the information, but the rudeness was unnecessary.

    >> Liora
    >> gwtc might be rude (and I think he is too) but he gives very useful
    >> advice and is one of the most helpful people on this list. He is
    >> unpaid, under-thanked and extra willing. Sad to lose him as an ally.

    > Thank you. I didn't say I was leaving, I just said I won't help that
    > person again
    >
    >> If I ever adopt a wee pussy-cat I'll name it gwtc (if I could
    >> pronounce it!)

    > gwtc isn't a name, they're initials.

    It is interesting to see what my spellchecker does with them though.
    Growth is most common, but there have been stranger ones.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 19, 2005
  17. Liora

    Liora Guest

    WSP wrote:

    >>> Well Liora, you didn't hunt very good. Its Tools, Account Settings,
    >>> select the account, and under Composition & Addressing, select
    >>> "automatically quote the original message when replying" and in the
    >>> drop down select "start my reply above the quote."

    >> Thanks for the information, but the rudeness was unnecessary.

    > Liora
    > gwtc might be rude (and I think he is too) but he gives very useful
    > advice and is one of the most helpful people on this list. He is unpaid,
    > under-thanked and extra willing. Sad to lose him as an ally.
    > If I ever adopt a wee pussy-cat I'll name it gwtc (if I could pronounce
    > it!)

    I'm not shedding any tears here. There are lots of great folks who are
    unpaid, under-thanked, extra willing and courteous. I'll happily stick
    with them -- and continue to give them my sincere thanks.

    Liora, Oct 20, 2005