thunderbird: removing unwanted posts

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NewB, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. NewB

    NewB Guest

    I am trying to use thunderbird for newsgroups, instead of agent.

    With agent, if i wanted to delete a post or a thread, all i had to do
    was highlight it and press DEL

    When I added a kill filter it would offer to immediately filter and
    delete the targeted messages.

    With thunderbird, I can't find how to do either.

    When i want to delete a crap post of spam or idiocy, i tried clicking
    delete, but that is linked to the largely ignored 'cancel' command. I
    can't find any menu control to dump unwanted messages so they don't use
    up any disk space.

    When I add a filter and select 'delete' as the reaction to a match,
    nothing happens. The posts remain. I don't see any method for
    activating the filter so it will remove the unwanted posts.

    Is this the current design behavior? or am I missing some commands to
    do these things?

    NewB, Feb 13, 2005

  2. NewB

    samuel Guest

    NewB <> wrote in

    > I am trying to use thunderbird for newsgroups, instead of
    > agent.
    >
    > With agent, if i wanted to delete a post or a thread, all i
    > had to do was highlight it and press DEL
    >
    > When I added a kill filter it would offer to immediately
    > filter and delete the targeted messages.
    >
    > With thunderbird, I can't find how to do either.
    >
    > When i want to delete a crap post of spam or idiocy, i tried
    > clicking delete, but that is linked to the largely ignored
    > 'cancel' command. I can't find any menu control to dump
    > unwanted messages so they don't use up any disk space.
    >
    > When I add a filter and select 'delete' as the reaction to a
    > match, nothing happens. The posts remain. I don't see any
    > method for activating the filter so it will remove the
    > unwanted posts.
    >
    > Is this the current design behavior? or am I missing some
    > commands to do these things?

    from an earlier message
    Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird forums
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php

    groups netscape.public.mozilla.*

    samuel, Feb 13, 2005

  3. samuel wrote:
    > from an earlier message
    > Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird forums
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php
    >
    > groups netscape.public.mozilla.*

    The .php link takes me to a directory of categories. Is that what you
    intended?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 13, 2005
  4. On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:07:04 -0500, NewB <> wrote:

    >I am trying to use thunderbird for newsgroups, instead of agent.
    >
    >With agent, if i wanted to delete a post or a thread, all i had to do
    >was highlight it and press DEL
    >
    >When I added a kill filter it would offer to immediately filter and
    >delete the targeted messages.

    Do your self a favor and use Agent until the newsgroups portion gets
    setteled in thunderbird. I went the Firefox + Thunderbird change over
    about 3 weeks ago and find Firefox OK and the Email of Thunderbird
    is usable but was really shocked a how poor the newsgroups part is
    especially having used Agent for over 8 years.

    Star@*.*.invalid, Feb 13, 2005
  5. NewB

    NewB Guest

    Star@*.*.invalid wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:07:04 -0500, NewB <> wrote:
    >

    >>I am trying to use thunderbird for newsgroups, instead of agent.
    >>
    >>With agent, if i wanted to delete a post or a thread, all i had to do
    >>was highlight it and press DEL
    >>
    >>When I added a kill filter it would offer to immediately filter and
    >>delete the targeted messages.
    >>

    > Do your self a favor and use Agent until the newsgroups portion gets
    > setteled in thunderbird. I went the Firefox + Thunderbird change over
    > about 3 weeks ago and find Firefox OK and the Email of Thunderbird
    > is usable but was really shocked a how poor the newsgroups part is
    > especially having used Agent for over 8 years.
    >

    >>With thunderbird, I can't find how to do either.
    >>
    >>When i want to delete a crap post of spam or idiocy, i tried clicking
    >>delete, but that is linked to the largely ignored 'cancel' command. I
    >>can't find any menu control to dump unwanted messages so they don't use
    >>up any disk space.
    >>
    >>When I add a filter and select 'delete' as the reaction to a match,
    >>nothing happens. The posts remain. I don't see any method for
    >>activating the filter so it will remove the unwanted posts.
    >>
    >>Is this the current design behavior? or am I missing some commands to
    >>do these things?

    This has been the behavior since long ago in netscape days, carried over
    into mozilla and now thunderbird. I am not sure it will be addressed
    anytime soon. :\

    I can delete unwanted emails.. so why can't unwanted newsgroup posts be
    removed?

    Could it really be that difficult? Is there any future vision or plan?

    NewB, Feb 13, 2005