Thunderbird question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Grandpa Chuck, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. Hi friends,

    I bought a new notebook p.c. Saturday and have been setting it up ever
    since.

    I have been using Thunderbird for email and some newsgroups for quite
    awhile.

    Now that I have it installed on this computer I have been having a
    strange problem some of the time.

    When I click on a new email where the body of it should be I only see
    advertising from Mozilla. In order to see what is in the email I have to
    double click on it so it opens in another window. At other times it
    works just fine.

    Do you have any idea what is going on?
    More importantly, what do I need to do so when I highlight the email the
    body of it will show the portion of the screen where it is supposed to?

    Thank you in advance. You all have been so much help in the past. I
    don't feel confident enough to stay subscribed all the time because I am
    not computer savvy enough to be able to answer questions.

    Grandpa Chuck
    Grandpa Chuck, Mar 30, 2006

  2. Grandpa Chuck

    Guest

    On Thunderbird file menu at the top, Click on "View". Scroll down to
    "Layout". On the box that opens up on th side select "Message Pane".
    this should solve your problem.

    Or simply press F8.

    Have fun.

    Battery Guru
    http://www.ComputerBatteries.co.uk
    , Mar 30, 2006

  3. Grandpa Chuck

    Paul_B Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:10:29 GMT, Grandpa Chuck wrote:

    > Hi friends,
    >
    > I bought a new notebook p.c. Saturday and have been setting it up ever
    > since.
    >
    > I have been using Thunderbird for email and some newsgroups for quite
    > awhile.
    >
    > Now that I have it installed on this computer I have been having a
    > strange problem some of the time.
    >
    > When I click on a new email where the body of it should be I only see
    > advertising from Mozilla. In order to see what is in the email I have to
    > double click on it so it opens in another window. At other times it
    > works just fine.
    >
    > Do you have any idea what is going on?
    > More importantly, what do I need to do so when I highlight the email the
    > body of it will show the portion of the screen where it is supposed to?
    >
    > Thank you in advance. You all have been so much help in the past. I
    > don't feel confident enough to stay subscribed all the time because I am
    > not computer savvy enough to be able to answer questions.
    >
    > Grandpa Chuck

    I occasionally get that too, in mail only (I don't use TB for
    news). I have to move away from the message and come back. Seems
    to be a 1.5 bug. I don't see the version you use.

    p.
    Paul_B, Mar 30, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > On Thunderbird file menu at the top, Click on "View". Scroll down to
    > "Layout". On the box that opens up on th side select "Message Pane".
    > this should solve your problem.

    Have a check mark by that already.
    Funny thing is, it hasn't done that since I posted my question.

    > Or simply press F8.

    I will remember that and try it next time it shows up.

    > Have fun.
    >
    > Battery Guru
    > http://www.ComputerBatteries.co.uk

    Thank you.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    The following information is given with the utmost respect
    for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the
    current war in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
    The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of Mar. 28, 2006 is 2,325.
    Americans wounded = more than 16,774
    United Kingdom = 103
    Other = 105
    Iraqi deaths are probably in excess of 100,000.

    Today, March 29, 2006
    It has been 1062 days since Bush declared,
    "Mission Accomplished in Iraq."
    Grandpa Chuck, Mar 30, 2006
  5. Paul_B wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:10:29 GMT, Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >
    >> Hi friends,
    >>
    >> I bought a new notebook p.c. Saturday and have been setting it up ever
    >> since.
    >>
    >> I have been using Thunderbird for email and some newsgroups for quite
    >> awhile.
    >>
    >> Now that I have it installed on this computer I have been having a
    >> strange problem some of the time.
    >>
    >> When I click on a new email where the body of it should be I only see
    >> advertising from Mozilla. In order to see what is in the email I have to
    >> double click on it so it opens in another window. At other times it
    >> works just fine.
    >>
    >> Do you have any idea what is going on?
    >> More importantly, what do I need to do so when I highlight the email the
    >> body of it will show the portion of the screen where it is supposed to?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance. You all have been so much help in the past. I
    >> don't feel confident enough to stay subscribed all the time because I am
    >> not computer savvy enough to be able to answer questions.
    >>
    >> Grandpa Chuck

    > I occasionally get that too, in mail only (I don't use TB for
    > news). I have to move away from the message and come back. Seems
    > to be a 1.5 bug. I don't see the version you use.
    >
    > p.

    Just looked.
    I too have 1.5

    The strange thing is this has not happened since I posted the question.

    Thanks for your help.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-