    that has a new message automatically opens. This is very annoying. I
    played around with the settings but it still does it. Is there any way to
    fix this?

    Episode3WillSuck, May 30, 2004

  2. Episode3WillSuck

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Episode3WillSuck wrote:
    > I'm using this as my newsreader. Whenever I go into a newsgroup, a thread
    > that has a new message automatically opens. This is very annoying. I
    > played around with the settings but it still does it. Is there any way to
    > fix this?

    I really hope someone will be able to give you a solution (because I
    want one too), but if not you can always get into the habit of hitting
    '\' (collapse all threads) as soon as you open the newsgroup.

    Presumably the thread view you're using is 'Threads with Unread'. You
    might be happier changing it to 'Unread', which is what I use (View |
    Threads | Unread).

    Now, on a related point, can anyone tell me what defines the order in
    which threads are listed? It seems to vary depending on the thread view
    applied. I'd really like to view unread messages only, with threads
    collapsed and with the threads listed in alphanumeric order of subject.
    Is that possible?

    Danny Colyer, May 31, 2004

  3. Episode3WillSuck

    Moz Champion Guest

    Episode3WillSuck wrote:

    > I'm using this as my newsreader. Whenever I go into a newsgroup, a thread
    > that has a new message automatically opens. This is very annoying. I
    > played around with the settings but it still does it. Is there any way to
    > fix this?

    View-->Threads-->Unread

    the threads with unread wont open

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Episode3WillSuck

    Moz Champion Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > Episode3WillSuck wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using this as my newsreader. Whenever I go into a newsgroup, a
    >> thread
    >> that has a new message automatically opens. This is very annoying. I
    >> played around with the settings but it still does it. Is there any
    >> way to
    >> fix this?

    > I really hope someone will be able to give you a solution (because I
    > want one too), but if not you can always get into the habit of hitting
    > '\' (collapse all threads) as soon as you open the newsgroup.
    >
    > Presumably the thread view you're using is 'Threads with Unread'. You
    > might be happier changing it to 'Unread', which is what I use (View |
    > Threads | Unread).
    >
    > Now, on a related point, can anyone tell me what defines the order in
    > which threads are listed? It seems to vary depending on the thread view
    > applied. I'd really like to view unread messages only, with threads
    > collapsed and with the threads listed in alphanumeric order of subject.
    > Is that possible?

    You can define the order yourself using the View menu

    View-->Sort By--> xxxx ascending or descending

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Episode3WillSuck

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > You can define the order yourself using the View menu
    >
    > View-->Sort By--> xxxx ascending or descending

    Thanks for the suggestion. I'd actually tried that and it didn't seem
    to work. But, encouraged by your having suggested it, I delved a bit
    deeper and realised that I also needed to sort by subject (I was
    previously sorting by order received).

    How I missed that I don't know, but I'm now a slightly happier bunny, so
    thanks again.

    Danny Colyer, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Episode3WillSuck

    Danny Colyer Guest

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >> You can define the order yourself using the View menu
    >>
    >> View-->Sort By--> xxxx ascending or descending

    and I replied:
    > Thanks for the suggestion. I'd actually tried that and it didn't seem
    > to work. But, encouraged by your having suggested it, I delved a bit
    > deeper and realised that I also needed to sort by subject (I was
    > previously sorting by order received).
    >
    > How I missed that I don't know, but I'm now a slightly happier bunny, so
    > thanks again.

    Now I realise why I didn't have it working before. The problem is that
    if I come out of the newsgroup and go back in later, although the view
    settings are set to display unread threads in ascending order of
    subject, what I actually see is unread threads in ascending
    chronological order of the first unread message in the thread.

    I can change the view settings to something else, then change them back
    to ascending order of subject, and I'll get the view I want, but
    shouldn't the messages be displayed in the user defined order as soon as
    I go into the ng?

    Danny Colyer, Jun 1, 2004
  7. Episode3WillSuck

    Moz Champion Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    >> Moz Champion wrote:
    >>
    >>> You can define the order yourself using the View menu
    >>>
    >>> View-->Sort By--> xxxx ascending or descending

    > and I replied:
    >
    >> Thanks for the suggestion. I'd actually tried that and it didn't seem
    >> to work. But, encouraged by your having suggested it, I delved a bit
    >> deeper and realised that I also needed to sort by subject (I was
    >> previously sorting by order received).
    >>
    >> How I missed that I don't know, but I'm now a slightly happier bunny,
    >> so thanks again.

    > Now I realise why I didn't have it working before. The problem is that
    > if I come out of the newsgroup and go back in later, although the view
    > settings are set to display unread threads in ascending order of
    > subject, what I actually see is unread threads in ascending
    > chronological order of the first unread message in the thread.
    >
    > I can change the view settings to something else, then change them back
    > to ascending order of subject, and I'll get the view I want, but
    > shouldn't the messages be displayed in the user defined order as soon as
    > I go into the ng?

    Each account can be set differently, so if you made the changes for one newsgroup account, it wouldnt automatically apply to another newsgroup account or for an email account.

    The view settings should remain as you specified for that group, every time you access it.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jun 2, 2004
  8. Episode3WillSuck

    Danny Colyer Guest

    and Moz Champion wrote:
    > Each account can be set differently, so if you made the changes for one
    > newsgroup account, it wouldnt automatically apply to another newsgroup
    > account or for an email account.
    >
    > The view settings should remain as you specified for that group, every
    > time you access it.

    Right, I know that's not working correctly, so I've been watching it
    closely for the past week to try and work out exactly under what
    circumstances it's going wrong.

    If I change my threads view from 'Unread' to 'Threads with Unread', the
    'Sort by' value automatically changes to 'Order Received'. I do this
    typically at least once a day, for example to work out the context of a
    reply where someone has failed to quote the message they are responding
    to. When I then change the threads view back to 'Unread', the 'Sort by'
    value remains at 'Order Received'.

    <heavy hint that I need help reporting bugs>
    I think this is a bug, and I'd report it as such, except that whenever I
    try to find the existing bugs list I end up going round in circles. And
    I'm not even gonna try and figure out how to report a bug until I work
    out how to check the existing bugs list.
    </heavy hint that I need help reporting bugs>

    But there's more to it than that, and I think I've worked it out now.
    I might have a ng which I'm not currently looking at and that has 20
    unread messages. I then access that ng, at which time another 10
    headers get downloaded. Those 20 messages whose headers had been
    downloaded before I accessed the ng will be displayed in subject order
    (remember that my chosen view is Threaded, Unread, Sort by Subject).
    The 10 new headers will be displayed beneath these in the order received.

    I'm not sure that this is a bug, just a minor irritation. And
    Thunderbird's still the best newsreader I've seen, so I'll live with it.
    But it's nice to have worked out what's going on.

    Danny Colyer, Jun 10, 2004
  9. Episode3WillSuck

    Moz Champion Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > I wrote:
    >
    >>> I can change the view settings to something else, then change them
    >>> back to ascending order of subject, and I'll get the view I want, but
    >>> shouldn't the messages be displayed in the user defined order as soon
    >>> as I go into the ng?

    > and Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Each account can be set differently, so if you made the changes for
    >> one newsgroup account, it wouldnt automatically apply to another
    >> newsgroup account or for an email account.
    >>
    >> The view settings should remain as you specified for that group, every
    >> time you access it.

    > Right, I know that's not working correctly, so I've been watching it
    > closely for the past week to try and work out exactly under what
    > circumstances it's going wrong.
    >
    > If I change my threads view from 'Unread' to 'Threads with Unread', the
    > 'Sort by' value automatically changes to 'Order Received'. I do this
    > typically at least once a day, for example to work out the context of a
    > reply where someone has failed to quote the message they are responding
    > to. When I then change the threads view back to 'Unread', the 'Sort by'
    > value remains at 'Order Received'.
    >
    > <heavy hint that I need help reporting bugs>
    > I think this is a bug, and I'd report it as such, except that whenever I
    > try to find the existing bugs list I end up going round in circles. And
    > I'm not even gonna try and figure out how to report a bug until I work
    > out how to check the existing bugs list.
    > </heavy hint that I need help reporting bugs>
    >
    > But there's more to it than that, and I think I've worked it out now. I
    > might have a ng which I'm not currently looking at and that has 20
    > unread messages. I then access that ng, at which time another 10
    > headers get downloaded. Those 20 messages whose headers had been
    > downloaded before I accessed the ng will be displayed in subject order
    > (remember that my chosen view is Threaded, Unread, Sort by Subject). The
    > 10 new headers will be displayed beneath these in the order received.
    >
    > I'm not sure that this is a bug, just a minor irritation. And
    > Thunderbird's still the best newsreader I've seen, so I'll live with it.
    > But it's nice to have worked out what's going on.

    Your're correct. Its an anomaly that only seems to occur when choosing
    Threads with Unread. Switching between ALL and Unread seems to leave the sort by in the selction it was made for that mode.

    As I recall, Threads with Unread was one of the last modes added, and perhaps it doesnt go thru the same 'checks' as the other modes when reverting.

    Bug or irritation? Cant say, it depends solely on how you use it I suppose. I tend to leave my newsgroups an ALL anyway. Since I can 'see' the unread indicated, it works fine for me, but again, thats how I work.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jun 11, 2004