    What file extension does Thunderbird use for saving e-mails?

    Thanks,
    Midnight
    Midnight Moocher, Jan 8, 2006

  2. Midnight Moocher

    Jim Scott Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:33:40 GMT, Midnight Moocher wrote:

    > Firefox is regarded a better browser than IE for security and usability.
    > I've only just made the switch myself and will be sticking with it.
    >
    > I was wondering what is the consensus on Thunderbird, how does it compare to
    > Microsoft Outlook?
    >

    > If I was to switch to Thunderbird for a trial period, would I be able to
    > switch back to Outlook (transferring e-mails received in Thunderbird to
    > Outlook)?
    >
    > What file extension does Thunderbird use for saving e-mails?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Midnight

    I have both.
    T'bird does everything I need ESPECIALLT the way it handles spam.
    You came swap between the two or run both if you wish.
    For more details look here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq

    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK
    Jim Scott, Jan 8, 2006

  3. Midnight Moocher

    MGP Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:11:46 GMT, Jim Scott <>
    mumbled:

    >On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:33:40 GMT, Midnight Moocher wrote:
    >
    >> Firefox is regarded a better browser than IE for security and usability.
    >> I've only just made the switch myself and will be sticking with it.
    >>
    >> I was wondering what is the consensus on Thunderbird, how does it compare to
    >> Microsoft Outlook?
    >>

    >> If I was to switch to Thunderbird for a trial period, would I be able to
    >> switch back to Outlook (transferring e-mails received in Thunderbird to
    >> Outlook)?
    >>
    >> What file extension does Thunderbird use for saving e-mails?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Midnight

    >I have both.
    >T'bird does everything I need ESPECIALLT the way it handles spam.
    >You came swap between the two or run both if you wish.
    >For more details look here:
    >http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq

    I find the message filtering superior to OE. Also the access to
    multiple email addresses is much easier.

    I have been using it for over a year now and OE is forgotten.
    MGP, Jan 8, 2006
  4. Midnight Moocher wrote:
    > I was wondering what is the consensus on Thunderbird, how does it compare to
    > Microsoft Outlook?

    It is better in so many ways, depending on what you are useing your client for.
    Maybe if you generally are a fan of the MS Office pack, it wouldn't be such a
    good swap.
    But as mentioned in the other posts, IMAP, multiple mail addresses and security
    are good pros.
    Extentions also have to be brought up. It is wonderful the many ways you kan
    personalize your emailclient. And themes too!
    And last but not least, it features NNTP-accounts. Missed in Outlook since
    Outlook Express.

    What it misses though, is a decent calendar function. There are several
    extensions, but none that compares to MS Outlook calendar. But again, depends on
    what you intend to use it for.

    --
    Søren
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_L=F8bner?=, Jan 8, 2006
  5. Midnight Moocher

    Tony Raven Guest

    Midnight Moocher wrote:

    > I was wondering what is the consensus on Thunderbird, how does it compare to
    > Microsoft Outlook?

    Do you mean Outlook or Outlook Express. If Outlook it depends whether
    or not you use the Exchange Server functions and components such as
    Calendar, Task Lists etc none of which TBird has. Personally I have
    dumped Outlook Express completely, retained Outlook because I need it
    for the Exchange Server functions but handle e-mail wherever I can in TBird.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham
    Tony Raven, Jan 8, 2006
  6. Midnight Moocher

    SteveG Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Midnight Moocher wrote:
    >

    >> I was wondering what is the consensus on Thunderbird, how does it
    >> compare to Microsoft Outlook?
    >>

    > Do you mean Outlook or Outlook Express. If Outlook it depends whether
    > or not you use the Exchange Server functions and components such as
    > Calendar, Task Lists etc none of which TBird has. Personally I have
    > dumped Outlook Express completely, retained Outlook because I need it
    > for the Exchange Server functions but handle e-mail wherever I can in
    > TBird.

    I concur with Tony on this. I haven't used OE for ages but keep Outlook
    going for the Calendar and task lists. It would also be nice to be able
    to synchronise my PDA with TBird - that would finish me with Outlook.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G
    SteveG, Jan 8, 2006
  7. Midnight Moocher

    Jim Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:27:18 GMT, SteveG <_@_._> wrote:

    >Tony Raven wrote:
    >> Midnight Moocher wrote:
    >>

    >>> I was wondering what is the consensus on Thunderbird, how does it
    >>> compare to Microsoft Outlook?
    >>>

    >> Do you mean Outlook or Outlook Express. If Outlook it depends whether
    >> or not you use the Exchange Server functions and components such as
    >> Calendar, Task Lists etc none of which TBird has. Personally I have
    >> dumped Outlook Express completely, retained Outlook because I need it
    >> for the Exchange Server functions but handle e-mail wherever I can in
    >> TBird.
    >>

    >I concur with Tony on this. I haven't used OE for ages but keep Outlook
    >going for the Calendar and task lists. It would also be nice to be able
    >to synchronise my PDA with TBird - that would finish me with Outlook.

    I don't have Outlook.

    BUt I deleted Outlook Express years ago. Never, ever used it. The
    functionality and interface of Netscape Mail (then) and Thunderbird,
    now was just much better. Have no idea if Outlook Express has changed
    and no inclination to find out as I'm perfectly happy with T-Bird.

    Jim
    Jim, Jan 8, 2006
  8. Midnight Moocher

    Tony Raven Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > I don't have Outlook.
    >
    > BUt I deleted Outlook Express years ago. Never, ever used it. The
    > functionality and interface of Netscape Mail (then) and Thunderbird,
    > now was just much better. Have no idea if Outlook Express has changed
    > and no inclination to find out as I'm perfectly happy with T-Bird.

    But TB doesn't allow you to do cross network activity like finding
    common diary openings and delegating authorities to others on the
    network like a PA to manage your calendar and to do list that Outlook
    does. TB and OE are very similar but TB and Outlook are very different
    tools.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham
    Tony Raven, Jan 9, 2006
  9. SteveG wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >> Midnight Moocher wrote:
    >>

    >>> I was wondering what is the consensus on Thunderbird, how does it
    >>> compare to Microsoft Outlook?
    >>>

    >> Do you mean Outlook or Outlook Express. If Outlook it depends whether
    >> or not you use the Exchange Server functions and components such as
    >> Calendar, Task Lists etc none of which TBird has. Personally I have
    >> dumped Outlook Express completely, retained Outlook because I need it
    >> for the Exchange Server functions but handle e-mail wherever I can in
    >> TBird.
    >>

    > I concur with Tony on this. I haven't used OE for ages but keep Outlook
    > going for the Calendar and task lists. It would also be nice to be able
    > to synchronise my PDA with TBird - that would finish me with Outlook.

    It will take a wile, but the Lighting project will eventually provide a
    good Calendar replacement.

    http://www.babylonsounds.com/2004/12/lightning-project-announced-project-to.html

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 9, 2006
  10. On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:33:40 GMT, "Midnight Moocher"
    <> wrote:

    >Firefox is regarded a better browser than IE for security and usability.
    >I've only just made the switch myself and will be sticking with it.
    >
    >I was wondering what is the consensus on Thunderbird, how does it compare to
    >Microsoft Outlook?
    >

    >If I was to switch to Thunderbird for a trial period, would I be able to
    >switch back to Outlook (transferring e-mails received in Thunderbird to
    >Outlook)?
    >
    >What file extension does Thunderbird use for saving e-mails?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Midnight

    I recently switched from OE to Thunderbird. Mainly because OE
    wouldn't let me bottom post to a reply. The migration from OE to
    Thunderbird was pretty much easy and satisfactory. There are some
    mechanical differences but I am getting used to them. Everyone who
    uses Firefox or Thunderbird should go to the Mozilla website and make
    a donation. We need to support this software with more than words.

    Tryed Outlook once but hated it. Switched back to OE fast.

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
    Lubbock, Texas
    rkinserlow at cox dot net
    homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr., Jan 9, 2006
  11. Midnight Moocher

    DoubleDoom Guest

    > I have both.
    > T'bird does everything I need ESPECIALLT the way it handles spam.
    > You came swap between the two or run both if you wish.
    > For more details look here:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq

    Outlook is still sufficiently more advanced on the free spam handling
    side then TB. The integration with pocket PCs and other applications
    can be more desirable too (if you have those things).

    Personally, I use Outlook for business mail and TB for personal.

    David
    DoubleDoom, Jan 9, 2006
  12. Thanks for the replies,

    I currently use Outlook Express at home and Outlook at work. Have enjoyed
    using OE. It's got a nice look and handles my personal mail quite nicely.
    But when I've finished my new system in February, I'll be switching to
    Outlook at home.

    Only just started using Firefox and thought I'd look into Thunderbird.
    Midnight Moocher, Jan 9, 2006
  13. Midnight Moocher wrote:
    > Thanks for the replies,
    >
    > I currently use Outlook Express at home and Outlook at work. Have enjoyed
    > using OE. It's got a nice look and handles my personal mail quite nicely.
    > But when I've finished my new system in February, I'll be switching to
    > Outlook at home.
    >
    > Only just started using Firefox and thought I'd look into Thunderbird.

    You're most welcome...
    Whatever choice works for you, we're glad to help :)

    --
    Søren
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_L=F8bner?=, Jan 9, 2006
  14. Midnight Moocher

    ahm4me

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Thanx all 4 such a fruitfull discussion.

    I am currently using T-bird as my official mail client.

    Simultaniously I am fond of MS Office & most of my working depends on MS Office.

    The problem I am facing with T-bird is that I am very much fond of using Tables in my mails, but whenever i copy & paste these tables in T-bird, they got lose their sturcuture, further these tables are not editable there. Consequently messages losts its look and sometime data in tables cannot be readable.

    This is why i am intended to switch back to Outlook. If i can get the solution for the same i won't do this.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
    ahm4me, Jul 27, 2007
  15. Midnight Moocher

    andrewhcu

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Thunderbird

    I've been using Thunderbird for almost 4 years now, and it's never felt right. I've done my best to tinker with the settings and learn the ins and outs of it, but it seems like it hasn't been too agreeable.

    Issues I've had with it are:

    Contacts - It endlessly adds contacts. Duplicates, triplicates, people that are on threads of other emails. It's crazy. I can't believe that it can't recognize that I already have a contact with that same exact email address in there, and feels the need to add another one. Also, just because someone was copied on an email sent to me, it doesn't mean I want that person to be my contact.

    Forwarding emails - A lot of times when I forward an email I'll want to refer to the email below. But Thunderbird doesn't give that option, because I can't see what I'm forwarding. Also, it seems to not forward forwarded HTML (I'm guessing?). I got an email, forwarded it to my wife and referenced what I was forwarding and she had no idea what I was talking about because it didn't forward (what I think was) the HTML part.

    Pictures - I guess this is for protection, but I couldn't find a way to have the pictures auto-download. Is this a protection feature?

    The ease of exporting to another email program - Extremely time consuming. I had to download IMAP and convert each of my folders seperately, and create new folders in Outlook Express, and drag and drop them all.

    With all of that said, I really want to make this work. I love Firefox, and deep down I feel that Thunderbird is probably a safer more secure system than OE. Can anyone comment on the above and help me get more out of Thunderbird? Or, could you comment on whether it's just a matter of time before OE downloads a virus or something?

    Or, can you tell me how to get my contacts into OE from Thunderbird? That's really the last thing I would need to do before making a break.

    Thanks for reading and for your help.
    andrewhcu, Jan 21, 2009