Thunderbird - on open go to Inbox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Stanley Eisen, Sep 1, 2007.

  1. .... They seemed to remove this feature from the latest version?

    Any way to switch it back on?

    Stanley Eisen, Sep 1, 2007

  2. Stanley Eisen wrote:
    > ... They seemed to remove this feature from the latest version?
    >
    > Any way to switch it back on?

    they never turned it off. Make sure that under Account
    Settings, and under Server Settings, make sure that check
    more new messages at start up is checked. Also, click on
    the account and open it up.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 1, 2007

  3. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Stanley Eisen wrote:
    >> ... They seemed to remove this feature from the latest version?
    >>
    >> Any way to switch it back on?

    > they never turned it off. Make sure that under Account Settings, and
    > under Server Settings, make sure that check more new messages at start
    > up is checked. Also, click on the account and open it up.

    I don't want it to check for messages at start.

    The previous version simply had a checkbox on the main screen that said
    "Go to inbox on start" (from memory).

    Stanley Eisen, Sep 1, 2007
  4. Stanley Eisen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Stanley Eisen wrote:
    >>> ... They seemed to remove this feature from the latest version?
    >>>
    >>> Any way to switch it back on?

    >> they never turned it off. Make sure that under Account Settings, and
    >> under Server Settings, make sure that check more new messages at start
    >> up is checked. Also, click on the account and open it up.

    > I don't want it to check for messages at start.
    >
    > The previous version simply had a checkbox on the main screen that said
    > "Go to inbox on start" (from memory).

    Ok I selected "check for new messages at start" and it did what I was after.

    I would have thought that "check for new messages" meant it would
    connect to the email server and see if there was new mail? Apparently
    it just opens the inbox on startup. Pretty ambiguous .....

    Anyway thanks for the tip.

    Stanley Eisen, Sep 1, 2007
  5. >> I don't want it to check for messages at start.

    >> The previous version simply had a checkbox on the main screen that
    >> said "Go to inbox on start" (from memory).

    > Ok I selected "check for new messages at start" and it did what I was
    > after.
    >
    > I would have thought that "check for new messages" meant it would
    > connect to the email server and see if there was new mail? Apparently
    > it just opens the inbox on startup. Pretty ambiguous .....
    >
    > Anyway thanks for the tip.

    Ok, so "check for new messages at start" does in fact check the server,
    just not download anything if there is new messages there ......

    ..... Thats a shitload of use isn't it :)

    I've turned that back off, if I have to manually click on the inbox
    every time I run the program so be it.

    - But it would appear that as per my original post they *have* turned
    off the "on start automatically open inbox" feature - or at least hidden it.

    Stanley Eisen, Sep 2, 2007
  6. Stanley Eisen wrote:
    >>> I don't want it to check for messages at start.
    >>>
    >>> The previous version simply had a checkbox on the main screen that
    >>> said "Go to inbox on start" (from memory).

    >> Ok I selected "check for new messages at start" and it did what I was
    >> after.
    >>
    >> I would have thought that "check for new messages" meant it would
    >> connect to the email server and see if there was new mail? Apparently
    >> it just opens the inbox on startup. Pretty ambiguous .....
    >>
    >> Anyway thanks for the tip.

    > Ok, so "check for new messages at start" does in fact check the server,
    > just not download anything if there is new messages there ......
    >
    > .... Thats a shitload of use isn't it :)
    >
    > I've turned that back off, if I have to manually click on the inbox
    > every time I run the program so be it.
    >
    > - But it would appear that as per my original post they *have* turned
    > off the "on start automatically open inbox" feature - or at least hidden it.

    did it ever occur to you to putting a check mark next to the
    one about automatically downloading new messages. Those two
    go hand in hand. One checks the server, and the other
    downloads the messages.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 2, 2007
  7. > did it ever occur to you to putting a check mark next to the one about
    > automatically downloading new messages. Those two go hand in hand. One
    > checks the server, and the other downloads the messages.

    As already stated I didn't want to do that in the first place.

    Stanley Eisen, Sep 2, 2007