    network. So I am looking for an email client that will function over a
    home network and allow more seemless email on the laptops.

    Does Thunderbird allow that? I can't find much info on its capabilities.
    Doctor Shifty, May 13, 2007

  2. Doctor Shifty

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Doctor Shifty wrote:
    > I've been using Eudora email for years and it suits me. However, we now
    > have a home network of a desktop connected to DSL through a wireless
    > router and two laptops using wireless connection.
    >
    > The desktop is the principal computer and email is downloaded onto that.
    > My wife has a personal alias on our email account and she sends from the
    > laptop but doesn't download. This means she has to use both computers
    > for her email, unless we go to a completely different account for her.
    > We're not really interested in a web-mail account.
    >
    > It is here that Eudora is now limiting us as it doesn't work on a
    > network. So I am looking for an email client that will function over a
    > home network and allow more seemless email on the laptops.
    >
    > Does Thunderbird allow that? I can't find much info on its capabilities.

    You can certainly use TB on a LAN. Some possibilities.

    First choice is to install TB on all the machines and set up the
    appropriate user profiles on each. Let your wife download her mail
    directly to the laptop and she never needs to use the desktop at all.

    If she does want access on the desktop to her mail, you could store the
    laptop mail profiles on the desktop. This, however, means that the
    desktop machine (and LAN) must be on for the laptop to access her mail
    files. Or, set up a profile for her in TB on the desktop and direct it
    to use the laptop mail files. This too requires that all the machines
    and LAN are on.

    If she will only rarely use the desktop for mail, you could simply set
    up a separate profile on that machine for her mail. Then you have the
    issue of synchronizing the mail profiles so that her primary mail
    machine (laptop) is up to date. These pages might help you:

    http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_archive.html
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_mailsync.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 13, 2007

  3. On 2007-05-13, Doctor Shifty <> wrote:

    > I've been using Eudora email for years and it suits me. However, we now
    > have a home network of a desktop connected to DSL through a wireless
    > router and two laptops using wireless connection.
    >
    > The desktop is the principal computer and email is downloaded onto that.
    > My wife has a personal alias on our email account and she sends from the
    > laptop but doesn't download. This means she has to use both computers
    > for her email, unless we go to a completely different account for her.
    > We're not really interested in a web-mail account.
    >
    > It is here that Eudora is now limiting us as it doesn't work on a
    > network. So I am looking for an email client that will function over a
    > home network and allow more seemless email on the laptops.
    >
    > Does Thunderbird allow that? I can't find much info on its capabilities.

    What we do is run an IMAP server on our home network. Mail is fetched
    from the ISP mailboxes and dumped into the IMAP mailboxes, then you can
    read it from any machine on the network. Thunderbird works fine as an
    IMAP client.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, May 14, 2007
  4. Doctor Shifty

    Ed Mullen Guest

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2007-05-13, Doctor Shifty <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using Eudora email for years and it suits me. However, we now
    >> have a home network of a desktop connected to DSL through a wireless
    >> router and two laptops using wireless connection.
    >>
    >> The desktop is the principal computer and email is downloaded onto that.
    >> My wife has a personal alias on our email account and she sends from the
    >> laptop but doesn't download. This means she has to use both computers
    >> for her email, unless we go to a completely different account for her.
    >> We're not really interested in a web-mail account.
    >>
    >> It is here that Eudora is now limiting us as it doesn't work on a
    >> network. So I am looking for an email client that will function over a
    >> home network and allow more seemless email on the laptops.
    >>
    >> Does Thunderbird allow that? I can't find much info on its capabilities.

    > What we do is run an IMAP server on our home network. Mail is fetched
    > from the ISP mailboxes and dumped into the IMAP mailboxes, then you can
    > read it from any machine on the network. Thunderbird works fine as an
    > IMAP client.

    Joh, that's interesting. Can you give more detail on how you are doing
    this? What product are you running as an IMAP server and how does is
    fetch email from a POP mail server? Thanks in advance.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 14, 2007
  5. Doctor Shifty

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > John Thompson wrote:
    >> On 2007-05-13, Doctor Shifty <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been using Eudora email for years and it suits me. However, we now
    >>> have a home network of a desktop connected to DSL through a wireless
    >>> router and two laptops using wireless connection.
    >>>
    >>> The desktop is the principal computer and email is downloaded onto that.
    >>> My wife has a personal alias on our email account and she sends from the
    >>> laptop but doesn't download. This means she has to use both computers
    >>> for her email, unless we go to a completely different account for her.
    >>> We're not really interested in a web-mail account.
    >>>
    >>> It is here that Eudora is now limiting us as it doesn't work on a
    >>> network. So I am looking for an email client that will function over a
    >>> home network and allow more seemless email on the laptops.
    >>>
    >>> Does Thunderbird allow that? I can't find much info on its capabilities.

    >> What we do is run an IMAP server on our home network. Mail is fetched
    >> from the ISP mailboxes and dumped into the IMAP mailboxes, then you
    >> can read it from any machine on the network. Thunderbird works fine as
    >> an IMAP client.

    > Joh, that's interesting. Can you give more detail on how you are doing
    > this? What product are you running as an IMAP server and how does is
    > fetch email from a POP mail server? Thanks in advance.

    And, despite my typos, I really do want to know! (Sheesh. "John" not
    "Joh" and "it" instead of "is" - sheesh - I really gotta get used to
    this new keyboard!)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 14, 2007
  6. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Doctor Shifty wrote:
    >> I've been using Eudora email for years and it suits me. However, we now
    >> have a home network of a desktop connected to DSL through a wireless
    >> router and two laptops using wireless connection.
    >>
    >> The desktop is the principal computer and email is downloaded onto that.
    >> My wife has a personal alias on our email account and she sends from the
    >> laptop but doesn't download. This means she has to use both computers
    >> for her email, unless we go to a completely different account for her.
    >> We're not really interested in a web-mail account.
    >>
    >> It is here that Eudora is now limiting us as it doesn't work on a
    >> network. So I am looking for an email client that will function over a
    >> home network and allow more seemless email on the laptops.
    >>
    >> Does Thunderbird allow that? I can't find much info on its capabilities.
    >>

    > You can certainly use TB on a LAN. Some possibilities.
    >
    > First choice is to install TB on all the machines and set up the
    > appropriate user profiles on each. Let your wife download her mail
    > directly to the laptop and she never needs to use the desktop at all.
    >
    > If she does want access on the desktop to her mail, you could store the
    > laptop mail profiles on the desktop. This, however, means that the
    > desktop machine (and LAN) must be on for the laptop to access her mail
    > files. Or, set up a profile for her in TB on the desktop and direct it
    > to use the laptop mail files. This too requires that all the machines
    > and LAN are on.
    >
    > If she will only rarely use the desktop for mail, you could simply set
    > up a separate profile on that machine for her mail. Then you have the
    > issue of synchronizing the mail profiles so that her primary mail
    > machine (laptop) is up to date. These pages might help you:
    >
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_archive.html
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_mailsync.html

    Thanks for the suggestions, Ed.

    We are a bit restricted on my wife downloading only her own email as her
    alias won't download separately from the main email address. I've had a
    quick run through through your mailsync page and will give some things a
    try.
    Doctor Shifty, May 14, 2007
  7. Doctor Shifty

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Doctor Shifty wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Doctor Shifty wrote:
    >>> I've been using Eudora email for years and it suits me. However, we now
    >>> have a home network of a desktop connected to DSL through a wireless
    >>> router and two laptops using wireless connection.
    >>>
    >>> The desktop is the principal computer and email is downloaded onto that.
    >>> My wife has a personal alias on our email account and she sends from the
    >>> laptop but doesn't download. This means she has to use both computers
    >>> for her email, unless we go to a completely different account for her.
    >>> We're not really interested in a web-mail account.
    >>>
    >>> It is here that Eudora is now limiting us as it doesn't work on a
    >>> network. So I am looking for an email client that will function over a
    >>> home network and allow more seemless email on the laptops.
    >>>
    >>> Does Thunderbird allow that? I can't find much info on its capabilities.
    >>>

    >> You can certainly use TB on a LAN. Some possibilities.
    >>
    >> First choice is to install TB on all the machines and set up the
    >> appropriate user profiles on each. Let your wife download her mail
    >> directly to the laptop and she never needs to use the desktop at all.
    >>
    >> If she does want access on the desktop to her mail, you could store
    >> the laptop mail profiles on the desktop. This, however, means that
    >> the desktop machine (and LAN) must be on for the laptop to access her
    >> mail files. Or, set up a profile for her in TB on the desktop and
    >> direct it to use the laptop mail files. This too requires that all
    >> the machines and LAN are on.
    >>
    >> If she will only rarely use the desktop for mail, you could simply set
    >> up a separate profile on that machine for her mail. Then you have the
    >> issue of synchronizing the mail profiles so that her primary mail
    >> machine (laptop) is up to date. These pages might help you:
    >>
    >> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html
    >> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_archive.html
    >> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_mailsync.html
    >>

    > Thanks for the suggestions, Ed.
    >
    > We are a bit restricted on my wife downloading only her own email as her
    > alias won't download separately from the main email address. I've had a
    > quick run through through your mailsync page and will give some things a
    > try.

    I hope it helps. That she can't download independently sounds like a
    real problem with your ISP. I've never run across this before. Are you
    certain? Have you contacted your ISP's support on this issue?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 14, 2007
  8. On 2007-05-14, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > John Thompson wrote:

    >> What we do is run an IMAP server on our home network. Mail is fetched
    >> from the ISP mailboxes and dumped into the IMAP mailboxes, then you can
    >> read it from any machine on the network. Thunderbird works fine as an
    >> IMAP client.

    > Joh, that's interesting. Can you give more detail on how you are doing
    > this? What product are you running as an IMAP server and how does is
    > fetch email from a POP mail server? Thanks in advance.

    I run UW-IMAP on FreeBSD on an old PC. It doesn't have to be anything
    fancy; an old PII-400mHz box with as much memory as you can find for it
    will work fine. To get the mail, I had my domain host add an MX record
    for my domain and just set up mail forwarding from my ISP to forward all
    my mail to my domain. Sendmail on the FreeBSD box picks it up and drops
    it in the user mailboxes. But if you don't want to run your own smtp
    service like sendmail, you can use a program like "fetchmail" to pull
    the mail down from your ISP and drop it in the mailboxes. Then you just
    tell Thunderbird to use your IMAP server to pick up your mail.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, May 15, 2007
  9. Doctor Shifty

    Ed Mullen Guest

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2007-05-14, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> John Thompson wrote:

    >>> What we do is run an IMAP server on our home network. Mail is fetched
    >>> from the ISP mailboxes and dumped into the IMAP mailboxes, then you can
    >>> read it from any machine on the network. Thunderbird works fine as an
    >>> IMAP client.

    >> Joh, that's interesting. Can you give more detail on how you are doing
    >> this? What product are you running as an IMAP server and how does is
    >> fetch email from a POP mail server? Thanks in advance.

    > I run UW-IMAP on FreeBSD on an old PC. It doesn't have to be anything
    > fancy; an old PII-400mHz box with as much memory as you can find for it
    > will work fine. To get the mail, I had my domain host add an MX record
    > for my domain and just set up mail forwarding from my ISP to forward all
    > my mail to my domain. Sendmail on the FreeBSD box picks it up and drops
    > it in the user mailboxes. But if you don't want to run your own smtp
    > service like sendmail, you can use a program like "fetchmail" to pull
    > the mail down from your ISP and drop it in the mailboxes. Then you just
    > tell Thunderbird to use your IMAP server to pick up your mail.

    Good description, thanks!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 15, 2007
  10. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > I hope it helps. That she can't download independently sounds like a
    > real problem with your ISP. I've never run across this before. Are you
    > certain? Have you contacted your ISP's support on this issue?

    Yup. I thought the alias emails on the master account would operate like
    different accounts. They don't. Downloads only happen on the master
    account and any alias accounts come with it.

    The alias works to the level of my wife having her own address, the
    email client puts it into her own mailbox.

    Ive also read the responses from John Thompson about setting up a local
    IMAP server. Not sure if that will work as I don't have a dedicated
    domain name. However, I'll follow it up as it looks like what we are after.
    Doctor Shifty, May 18, 2007