    how to do this in Thunderbird.
    TIA
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Jan 14, 2005

  2. Paul Schilter

    Splibbilla Guest

    Paul Schilter <> in
    news::

    > Hi All,
    > I just started using Thunderbird. I was quite impressed how it
    > imported
    > all my Outlook data. I now use Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express
    > for my newsreader, right this minute as a matter of fact :) Now in
    > Express it was very easier to block a sender but I haven't discovered
    > how to do this in Thunderbird.

    i think you mark the mail as junk. i'm assuming that it 'plonks' teh sender *and* records a bit of bayesian [sp?] data?

    i don't use tbird, cuz of the weird limitation of only a single outbound (smtp) server, reliablily etc.

    --
    WinMe, Moz 1.7.5, all profiles: GoogleBar, PrefBar, CopyURL, IEView, ,,, and??? some bugmenot.jar, sage.jar. Usually java off,
    js on. Might GoogleBar be "mergeable" with an (added) src chooser in PrefBar (v. 3.0, build date 20041224)?

    Splibbilla, Jan 15, 2005

  3. Splibbilla wrote:
    > Paul Schilter <> in
    >

    >>Hi All,
    >> I just started using Thunderbird. I was quite impressed how it
    >> imported
    >>all my Outlook data. I now use Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express
    >>for my newsreader, right this minute as a matter of fact :) Now in
    >>Express it was very easier to block a sender but I haven't discovered
    >>how to do this in Thunderbird.

    > i think you mark the mail as junk. i'm assuming that it 'plonks' teh sender *and* records a bit of bayesian [sp?] data?
    >
    > i don't use tbird, cuz of the weird limitation of only a single outbound (smtp) server, reliablily etc.

    ?????????????

    Have you looked at Thunderbird in the last year???

    Give it another look. There has been support for multiple smtp servers
    for a long, long time.

    When you install it, you will be prompted to set up a default email
    account, with its smtp server. Once that is done, go to Tools>>Account
    Settings>>Outgoing Server

    Click the Advanced button. In TB 1.0, choose the SMTP tab. Click Add,
    and set up your second SMTP server. Repeat for as many as you need.

    Then in an account for which you wish to use a second SMTP server, go to
    server settings, and click Advanced. Choose SMTP and set the desired
    SMTP server from the list.

    As far as reliability, I can attest that it is every bit as reliable as
    Mozilla Mail.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 15, 2005
  4. Paul Schilter

    Z Guest

    Paul Schilter wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I just started using Thunderbird. I was quite impressed how it
    > imported all my Outlook data. I now use Thunderbird instead of Outlook
    > Express for my newsreader, right this minute as a matter of fact :) Now
    > in Express it was very easier to block a sender but I haven't discovered
    > how to do this in Thunderbird.

    The title says "Newsreader" ... so, are you trying to block posters to
    Usenet? You can do that with filters. You can mark message read, delete
    them, etc, based on Subject, Sender or Date.

    That doesn't block them from posting to Usenet, but you won't have to
    read their crap.

    Z, Jan 15, 2005
  5. Paul Schilter

    Skratz Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Paul Schilter wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >> I just started using Thunderbird. I was quite impressed how it
    >> imported all my Outlook data. I now use Thunderbird instead of Outlook
    >> Express for my newsreader, right this minute as a matter of fact :)
    >> Now in Express it was very easier to block a sender but I haven't
    >> discovered how to do this in Thunderbird.

    > The title says "Newsreader" ... so, are you trying to block posters to
    > Usenet? You can do that with filters. You can mark message read, delete
    > them, etc, based on Subject, Sender or Date.
    >
    > That doesn't block them from posting to Usenet, but you won't have to
    > read their crap.

    and how exactly do you do that?
    i have been looking for a kilfile or plonkfile for a long time, but i
    couldn't find one.

    Skratz, Jan 17, 2005
  6. Skratz wrote:
    > Z wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Schilter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> I just started using Thunderbird. I was quite impressed how it
    >>> imported all my Outlook data. I now use Thunderbird instead of
    >>> Outlook Express for my newsreader, right this minute as a matter of
    >>> fact :) Now in Express it was very easier to block a sender but I
    >>> haven't discovered how to do this in Thunderbird.

    >> The title says "Newsreader" ... so, are you trying to block posters to
    >> Usenet? You can do that with filters. You can mark message read,
    >> delete them, etc, based on Subject, Sender or Date.
    >>
    >> That doesn't block them from posting to Usenet, but you won't have to
    >> read their crap.
    >>

    > and how exactly do you do that?
    > i have been looking for a kilfile or plonkfile for a long time, but i
    > couldn't find one.

    Message>>Create filter from message. There is no special rule, you just
    create a filter to mark that posters messages as read.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 17, 2005
  7. Skratz,
    I've tried the filter method and indicated to delete the message but
    this doesn't seem to work although under tools/message filters it shows
    the senders name and the filter enabled. Some one suggested using "junk"
    but this is grayed out in newsgroup messages and available only in the
    email part.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Jan 18, 2005
  8. Lee,
    I tried that, marking as read isn't one of the options. Delete the
    message is available but I didn't seem to be able to get it to work. In
    Express when you block a sender it goes through all the messages and
    removes the messages from the blocked sender. Perhaps Thunderbird
    doesn't work this way. I tried going to a different group and going back
    into the group with the blocked sender but his messages are still there.
    I'll have to see if perhaps his messages won't download in the future.
    One of the problems might be that this particular sender likes to change
    his email address.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Jan 18, 2005
  9. Paul Schilter

    Moz Champion Guest

    Paul Schilter wrote:

    > Lee,
    > I tried that, marking as read isn't one of the options. Delete the
    > message is available but I didn't seem to be able to get it to work. In
    > Express when you block a sender it goes through all the messages and
    > removes the messages from the blocked sender. Perhaps Thunderbird
    > doesn't work this way. I tried going to a different group and going back
    > into the group with the blocked sender but his messages are still there.
    > I'll have to see if perhaps his messages won't download in the future.
    > One of the problems might be that this particular sender likes to change
    > his email address.
    > Paul
    >

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Skratz wrote:

    >>> and how exactly do you do that?
    >>> i have been looking for a kilfile or plonkfile for a long time, but i
    >>> couldn't find one.

    >> Message>>Create filter from message. There is no special rule, you
    >> just create a filter to mark that posters messages as read.
    >>
    >> Lee

    Well, since OE uses the same mechnism in its so-called "Kill" file, I
    dont see how this is any different <g>.
    This user knows he is being filtered, so of course he changes his email
    address.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jan 18, 2005
  10. Well the filter rule has appeared to work or either the blocked poster
    chose not to post today. It appears that unlike Express it doesn't prune
    out existing messages but prevents those from the blocked sender from
    being downloaded.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Jan 19, 2005