    delete my own messages.

    How does one get rid of bulk read messages ?

    Lindsay Rollo, Wellington, New Zealand

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Nov 14, 2006

  2. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > I've been trying Thunderbird as a news reader following strong
    > recommendations from messages in this newslist.
    >
    > I've accessed over 300 messages and marked them all as read.
    > When I select them and attempt to delete them I'm told I can only
    > delete my own messages.
    >
    > How does one get rid of bulk read messages ?

    View | Sort by | Threaded
    View | Threads | Threads with unread

    Mark Robinson, Nov 14, 2006

  3. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Earl Grey Guest

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > I've been trying Thunderbird as a news reader following strong
    > recommendations from messages in this newslist.
    >
    > I've accessed over 300 messages and marked them all as read.
    > When I select them and attempt to delete them I'm told I can only
    > delete my own messages.
    >
    > How does one get rid of bulk read messages ?
    >

    > Lindsay Rollo, Wellington, New Zealand

    Tools/Account Settings/Offline & Disk Space/ has some settings for
    deleting read messages.

    Earl Grey, Nov 14, 2006
  4. In message <>,
    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > I've accessed over 300 messages and marked them all as read.
    > When I select them and attempt to delete them I'm told I can only
    > delete my own messages.

    Sounds like you're trying to invoke the "cancel" function used to retract
    postings. Naturally it's not supposed to let you do that to messages you
    didn't post. (Not that it's hard to bypass such a restriction...)

    In KNode you have configuration settings that let it track what happens to
    messages on the server: when they disappear there, then it automatically
    removes them from its cache.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 15, 2006
  5. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Phil Guest

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote, On 15/11/06 11.34 a:
    > How does one get rid of bulk read messages ?

    You can't. You either have to pick one of the thread view options under
    the View menu or make your own Messages view (depending on how you read
    news).

    -Phil

    Phil, Nov 15, 2006
  6. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:34:50 +1300, in message <>,
    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > I've been trying Thunderbird as a news reader following strong
    > recommendations from messages in this newslist.
    >
    > I've accessed over 300 messages and marked them all as read.
    > When I select them and attempt to delete them I'm told I can only
    > delete my own messages.
    >
    > How does one get rid of bulk read messages ?

    I see you are using Agent. Agent and Thunderbird are fundamentally
    two different types of news readers.

    1) Agent's default mode of operation is like an off-line reader.
    a. Once a message is downloaded, it stays in your local message
    store and can be read without downloading it again.
    b. You have to specifically request a message to be downloaded
    (this stops you accidentally filling your local message store).
    Simply selecting a message in the message list pane is not
    enough to download it.
    c. You can keep specific messages in the newsgroup indefinitely,
    well beyond the point where they are no longer on the server.

    2) Thunderbird's default mode of operation is like an on-line reader.
    a. By default, messages are not stored in your local message store.
    b. You select a message, Thunderbird automatically downloads it so
    that you can read it. You de-select the message (say by
    selecting a different message instead) and the first message's
    body is immediately purged from your PC. You select the first
    message again, and Thunderbird downloads it again.
    c. If you want to keep a message, you drag it from the newsgroup
    into a folder.

    So to answer your question "How does one get rid of bulk read messages",
    A. You get rid of message *bodies* simply by de-selecting the message.
    B. You don't manually get rid of *headers*; as an online reader
    Thunderbird is designed to show those headers which the server has.
    However, you can hide read headers by changing the view to "Unread".

    Agent and Thunderbird have two entirely different models of operation.
    Whichever reader you use, you are going to have to adapt to using its
    model of operation.

    Thunderbird does have a setting to allow off-line reading, but as you
    have not said whether you are using this setting or not, I will assume
    (perhaps rightly, perhaps wrongly) that you have not yet looked at it
    and would not be using it.

    Tools -> Account Settings -> (*news server*) -> Offline & Disk Space

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Nov 15, 2006
  7. Ralph:

    Tks for informative message.

    Will experiment with making an account.

    Lindsay Rollo, Wellington, New Zealand

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Nov 16, 2006