Thunderbird: Newsgroup settings - help required please

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Morgan, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. Morgan

    Morgan Guest

    Hello

    Having used OE or 40tude as my newsreader I have been pleased when
    discovering Thunderbird as a suitable replacement for both my mail and
    newsreader but...

    I have managed to get my list of posts sorted by thread but when I
    either label or flag a certain thread that I would like to follow I
    can't seem to get Thunderbird to inform me if there are any replies to
    that thread without manually looking myself. OE would, for instance,
    allow you to "watch" a thread (indicated with a pair of glasses) and
    each post in that thread would be marked with those glasses and the
    colour would change to a bold red if it hadn't been read or just a plain
    red if it had. Any new posts within that thread would again highlight
    the thread in bold and be clearly visible, especially if you sort the
    group by the posts that you are watching which will still allow the list
    of posts to remain in their organised threads.

    Also...

    In 40tude or Agent you could "lock" a thread to allow you to keep that
    thread regardless of your settings to purge your group of old posts, is
    there such an option in Thunderbird....?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    Hard drive noise...
    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

    Morgan, Apr 1, 2005

  2. Morgan wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Having used OE or 40tude as my newsreader I have been pleased when
    > discovering Thunderbird as a suitable replacement for both my mail and
    > newsreader but...
    >
    > I have managed to get my list of posts sorted by thread but when I
    > either label or flag a certain thread that I would like to follow I
    > can't seem to get Thunderbird to inform me if there are any replies to
    > that thread without manually looking myself. OE would, for instance,
    > allow you to "watch" a thread (indicated with a pair of glasses) and
    > each post in that thread would be marked with those glasses and the
    > colour would change to a bold red if it hadn't been read or just a plain
    > red if it had. Any new posts within that thread would again highlight
    > the thread in bold and be clearly visible, especially if you sort the
    > group by the posts that you are watching which will still allow the list
    > of posts to remain in their organised threads.
    >
    > Also...
    >
    > In 40tude or Agent you could "lock" a thread to allow you to keep that
    > thread regardless of your settings to purge your group of old posts, is
    > there such an option in Thunderbird....?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    As you know, its a different ap. There are likely ways to do whatever
    you want, but the implementation could be very different. I've never
    used 40tude, and its been a long time since I used OE. That being said,
    try:

    1) Take look at the various view options in the Menu Bar.

    View>>Threads>>Threads with unread

    That's my usual settings. You might prefer Watched threads with unread.
    Then you will only see those threads when you open the group, making
    them very easy to find.

    As for the second, I don't such a utility. You could create a folder
    for saved threads in Local Folders, then highlight the thread and drag
    it over.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 1, 2005