    that I have not previously read, the next time I open up the newsgroup.

    Thanks in advance,

    Alton

    Alton B. Wilson, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Alton B. Wilson

    Ranjit Guest

    Alton B. Wilson wrote:
    > Recently installed Thunderbird on a Windows 2000 machine. The question
    > I have is how do I set Thunderbird to mark newsgroup messages as "READ"
    > when I leave a newsgroup? I would like to display only the messages
    > that I have not previously read, the next time I open up the newsgroup.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Alton

    Right click on the newsgroup (in the Left pane) and click "Marks
    newsgroup read".

    Ranjit, Jan 27, 2005

  3. Alton B. Wilson

    Larry__Weiss Guest

    Alton B. Wilson wrote:
    > Recently installed Thunderbird on a Windows 2000 machine. The question
    > I have is how do I set Thunderbird to mark newsgroup messages as "READ"
    > when I leave a newsgroup? I would like to display only the messages
    > that I have not previously read, the next time I open up the newsgroup.

    This seems to be two questions.

    1) how do I set Thunderbird to mark newsgroup messages as "READ"
    2) I would like to display only the messages that I have not previously read

    The first is done by using the "Mark Newsgroup Read" command on the newsgroup
    (right-click the newsgroup name in the left-panel and you'll see it)

    The second is done by using the View: filter above the messages panels. Set it
    to Unread (as distinct from All).

    - Larry Weiss

    Larry__Weiss, Jan 27, 2005
  4. Larry,

    Thanks for the reply. My real intent was to have Thunderbird
    automatically mark the messages read when I leave the newsgroup, as
    Outlook Express can be made to do. I guess I am just to lazy or stupid
    to remember to right-click and mark them read.

    I have the View:filter set correctly and it does work okay when I
    re-enter the newsgroup.

    Alton

    Alton B. Wilson, Jan 28, 2005