    a password .. is this possible
    ?

    Laserfink LM-PL

    Laserfink, Feb 26, 2008

  2. Laserfink

    Gordon Guest

    Laserfink wrote:
    > i would like thunderbird to have restricted access
    >
    > IE .. on startup no access to ANYTHING without
    > a password .. is this possible
    > ?

    Have a look here:
    http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/profilepassword-en.html

    However there may be better ways of doing this. What exactly are you
    trying to acheive?

    Gordon, Feb 26, 2008

  3. Laserfink

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:47:12 -0000, Laserfink wrote:

    What's an mmm password?

    >i would like thunderbird to have restricted access

    To what, the accounts , downloading mail, to whom?

    >IE .. on startup no access to ANYTHING without
    >a password .. is this possible

    TB has a remember password for all accounts, protected by a master
    password required once per session.

    It's assumed you have a NT type OS, like Win NT, 2000, XP or maybe Vista
    on top of that you have multiple users that you want to not have access
    to TB or TB and your accounts?

    If it's multiple users,
    Did you install TB for 1 user or all?
    Or simply create a user group called TBird (or similar) put your account
    in the group just created. Goto the TB programs folder and change the
    permissions to the group (is allowed) remove accounts not allowed. Be
    *very* careful with this. You need to be logged in as the administrator
    account to work on permissions.

    Figure out what you want / need first. Details can come later.

    Me

    why?, Feb 26, 2008
  4. Laserfink

    Mike Easter Guest

    Laserfink wrote:
    > i would like thunderbird to have restricted access
    >
    > IE .. on startup no access to ANYTHING without
    > a password .. is this possible
    > ?

    If it is your intention to give others access to your computer and you
    want to secure your email files, you are going to have to make your
    security much 'deeper'/wider than Tbird.

    You are going to need to secure Tbird's folder or drive, such as running
    a portable Tbird. If you have sensitive Tbird content, why not put it
    on a secure USB so that you can take it with you when you leave the
    computer?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 26, 2008
  5. Laserfink

    richard Guest

    <> wrote:

    >i would like thunderbird to have restricted access
    >
    >IE .. on startup no access to ANYTHING without
    >a password .. is this possible
    >?

    How about a password for the folder tbird is in?

    --

    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Mark Twain(attributed)

    richard, Feb 26, 2008
  6. Laserfink

    Laserfink Guest

    Thanks for swift response

    still not sure if i can easily acheive , this does not require
    heavy security just to prevent passing intrest recently someone in
    office sent an email from my desk as a wind up

    Basically when i startup thunderbird i would it to
    NOT OPEN AT all type thing until password is entered

    i have downloaded this
    http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/profilepassword-en.html

    but unsure what to do with it it doesnt install or anything and
    also unsure if it will do what i need

    TIA

    Laserfink, Feb 26, 2008
  7. Laserfink wrote:

    > i have downloaded this
    > http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/profilepassword-en.html
    >
    > but unsure what to do with it it doesnt install or anything and
    > also unsure if it will do what i need

    "It must be clear that for the characteristics of Thunderbird, a
    protection like this is very tiny and a smart user can bypass it
    easily."

    Seems like it would not be worth the effort, whatever that is.

    Unless the people around your computer are certified unsmart users.

    --
    -bts
    -A woman is just a woman, but a good sigline is a smoke!

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 26, 2008
  8. Laserfink

    docmill Guest

    "Laserfink" <> wrote in

    > i would like thunderbird to have restricted access
    >
    > IE .. on startup no access to ANYTHING without
    > a password .. is this possible
    > ?

    Go to the Thunderbird site, there are several add ons that will do what you
    want. Add ons are simple to install.

    Thunderbird is unsecured in that the stored mail is not encrypted and can
    be read with a text editor from the folders where it is stored.

    If you really need to lock it up on the machine, get a copy of My Private
    Folder and install it in there.

    --
    "This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath, May prove a beauteous
    flower when next we meet." Juliet, this Bud's for you.

    docmill, Feb 27, 2008