    actually opened.

    Can anyone help me sort this problem out please.

    Thanks.

    Zygon Curry, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Zygon Curry

    Doug G Guest

    Zygon Curry wrote:
    > Installed Thunderbird yesterday and testing it at the moment. One
    > thing that bugs me is that it automatically marks an email as Read as
    > soon as it is clicked on, even when it hasn't been opened and read. I
    > can't see a setting for it to keep emails Unread until they are
    > actually opened.
    >
    > Can anyone help me sort this problem out please.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try using or changing the "Mark message read ..." setting in Tools >
    Options > Advanced > General Settings.

    Doug G, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Zygon Curry

    Zygon Curry Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:02:54 -0500, Doug G <>
    wrote:

    >Zygon Curry wrote:
    >> Installed Thunderbird yesterday and testing it at the moment. One
    >> thing that bugs me is that it automatically marks an email as Read as
    >> soon as it is clicked on, even when it hasn't been opened and read. I
    >> can't see a setting for it to keep emails Unread until they are
    >> actually opened.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help me sort this problem out please.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >Try using or changing the "Mark message read ..." setting in Tools >
    >Options > Advanced > General Settings.

    Thanks for your reply.

    I've tried that already last night and it doesn't work. The option it
    gives in there is to mark messages read after the number of seconds
    you specify, default is 5 seconds.

    If I untick that box it still marks the message read the moment the
    message is selected, but not opened. What I have just noticed is that
    if the message preview pane is switched off then it does exactly as I
    want it to and not mark the message read. Unfortunately that defeats
    the purpose of a preview pane.

    Zygon Curry, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Zygon Curry

    Doug G Guest

    Zygon Curry wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:02:54 -0500, Doug G <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Zygon Curry wrote:
    >>> Installed Thunderbird yesterday and testing it at the moment. One
    >>> thing that bugs me is that it automatically marks an email as Read as
    >>> soon as it is clicked on, even when it hasn't been opened and read. I
    >>> can't see a setting for it to keep emails Unread until they are
    >>> actually opened.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help me sort this problem out please.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >>Try using or changing the "Mark message read ..." setting in Tools >
    >>Options > Advanced > General Settings.

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I've tried that already last night and it doesn't work. The option it
    > gives in there is to mark messages read after the number of seconds
    > you specify, default is 5 seconds.
    >
    > If I untick that box it still marks the message read the moment the
    > message is selected, but not opened. What I have just noticed is that
    > if the message preview pane is switched off then it does exactly as I
    > want it to and not mark the message read. Unfortunately that defeats
    > the purpose of a preview pane.

    If the message preview pane is open when you select a message, you are
    opening it. It doesn't matter whether you read it or not.

    Doug G, Jul 18, 2005
  5. Zygon Curry

    Zygon Curry Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:07:41 -0500, Doug G <>
    wrote:

    >Zygon Curry wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:02:54 -0500, Doug G <>
    >> wrote:

    >> If I untick that box it still marks the message read the moment the
    >> message is selected, but not opened. What I have just noticed is that
    >> if the message preview pane is switched off then it does exactly as I
    >> want it to and not mark the message read. Unfortunately that defeats
    >> the purpose of a preview pane.
    >>

    >If the message preview pane is open when you select a message, you are
    >opening it. It doesn't matter whether you read it or not.

    Unfortunately, it's going to be this poorly designed preview option
    that is going to stop me from using Thunderbird an email and
    newsreader. I wanted to use Thunderbird for a specific mail account.

    Outlook 2003, Agent 2 and other mail and newsgroup reader
    applications I use provide preview options without having to mark
    messages as read.

    Pity really since I've always been a Netscape and Mozilla user.

    Zygon Curry, Jul 18, 2005
  6. Zygon Curry

    wayne Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:08:37 +0100, Zygon Curry wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:02:54 -0500, Doug G <> wrote:
    >
    >>Zygon Curry wrote:
    >>> Installed Thunderbird yesterday and testing it at the moment. One thing
    >>> that bugs me is that it automatically marks an email as Read as soon as
    >>> it is clicked on, even when it hasn't been opened and read. I can't see
    >>> a setting for it to keep emails Unread until they are actually opened.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help me sort this problem out please.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >>Try using or changing the "Mark message read ..." setting in Tools >
    >>Options > Advanced > General Settings.

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I've tried that already last night and it doesn't work. The option it
    > gives in there is to mark messages read after the number of seconds you
    > specify, default is 5 seconds.
    >
    > If I untick that box it still marks the message read the moment the
    > message is selected, but not opened. What I have just noticed is that if
    > the message preview pane is switched off then it does exactly as I want it
    > to and not mark the message read. Unfortunately that defeats the purpose
    > of a preview pane.

    That's always bothered me too. I'd like to see: left click selects
    and opens, middle click selects but does not open.

    -- Wayne.

    wayne, Jul 18, 2005
  7. Zygon Curry

    Old Gringo Guest

    Zygon Curry wrote:
    > Installed Thunderbird yesterday and testing it at the moment. One
    > thing that bugs me is that it automatically marks an email as Read as
    > soon as it is clicked on, even when it hasn't been opened and read. I
    > can't see a setting for it to keep emails Unread until they are
    > actually opened.
    >
    > Can anyone help me sort this problem out please.
    >
    > Thanks.

    In the version of Thunderbird that I have (version 1.0.5 (20050711),
    the emails or Usenet posts do not show as read until clicked on.
    They will sit there all day and night as unread until I click on
    them. The time delay after clicking on a header can be run up to 999
    sec. I only tested to 120 sec. and it worked. You say it
    automatically marks an email as Read as soon as it is clicked on,
    even when it hasn't been opened and read. *When you click on a
    header that is exactly what you are doing. Opening the email weather
    you read it or not.* Good luck in any event.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Jul 18, 2005
  8. Zygon Curry

    Zygon Curry Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:54:38 GMT, Old Gringo
    <> wrote:

    >In the version of Thunderbird that I have (version 1.0.5 (20050711),
    >the emails or Usenet posts do not show as read until clicked on.
    >They will sit there all day and night as unread until I click on
    >them. The time delay after clicking on a header can be run up to 999
    >sec. I only tested to 120 sec. and it worked. You say it
    >automatically marks an email as Read as soon as it is clicked on,
    >even when it hasn't been opened and read. *When you click on a
    >header that is exactly what you are doing. Opening the email weather
    >you read it or not.* Good luck in any event.

    Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

    As I said I installed and downloaded it last night so I'm using the
    most current version. Not sure what version number it is without
    looking.

    As far as the preview option goes, I understand that some of the
    message as to be technically opened to provide the preview. What I'm
    specifically saying is that the actual message header in the Inbox
    should not change to 'Read' while being previewed. It should only
    change to 'Read' when the message is opened in its own Window or
    marked as 'Read' when specified by the user.

    Other applications I use manage this perfectly without any problem.
    They even have options to allow this. It's just a pity that
    Thunderbird doesn't do it. I was expecting it to have a much better
    user interface then Outlook Express as the minimum.

    I don't usually use the preview options for valid security reasons,
    but I will need to use from time to time for one specific account.

    Zygon Curry, Jul 18, 2005
  9. Zygon Curry

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Zygon Curry wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:54:38 GMT, Old Gringo
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>In the version of Thunderbird that I have (version 1.0.5 (20050711),
    >>the emails or Usenet posts do not show as read until clicked on.
    >>They will sit there all day and night as unread until I click on
    >>them. The time delay after clicking on a header can be run up to 999
    >>sec. I only tested to 120 sec. and it worked. You say it
    >>automatically marks an email as Read as soon as it is clicked on,
    >>even when it hasn't been opened and read. *When you click on a
    >>header that is exactly what you are doing. Opening the email weather
    >>you read it or not.* Good luck in any event.

    > Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
    >
    > As I said I installed and downloaded it last night so I'm using the
    > most current version. Not sure what version number it is without
    > looking.
    >
    > As far as the preview option goes, I understand that some of the
    > message as to be technically opened to provide the preview. What I'm
    > specifically saying is that the actual message header in the Inbox
    > should not change to 'Read' while being previewed. It should only
    > change to 'Read' when the message is opened in its own Window or
    > marked as 'Read' when specified by the user.

    I understand your description of how you like to work, but that wouldn't
    work for me because I /never/ open a message in its own window to read
    it. Why bother when it's right there in the preview pane?

    > Other applications I use manage this perfectly without any problem.
    > They even have options to allow this. It's just a pity that
    > Thunderbird doesn't do it. I was expecting it to have a much better
    > user interface then Outlook Express as the minimum.

    Well, sw is a very personal thing. I much prefer Mozilla mail/news
    applications over OE.

    > I don't usually use the preview options for valid security reasons,
    > but I will need to use from time to time for one specific account.

    I'm guessing your reference to security is that you're concerned about
    spam emails reporting back to the originator. You can turn off remote
    images, javascript, and plugins in mail/news. When the Junk Mail filter
    is trained it will catch most (some report near 100%, others less) spam.
    The few that get through mine I simply right-click and Mark As Junk.
    This does not open the message in the preview pane.

    As for the marking as Read, I may scan a message (in the Preview pane)
    and decide to come back to it later. In which case I can simply hit "M"
    and the "Read" state is toggled back on; easy enough if it's that
    important to me. What I also may do is move such messages into a
    special folder that I'll check when I have time. In which case I
    couldn't care less how they're marked.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jul 18, 2005
  10. Zygon Curry

    Old Gringo Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Zygon Curry wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:54:38 GMT, Old Gringo
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> In the version of Thunderbird that I have (version 1.0.5 (20050711),
    >>> the emails or Usenet posts do not show as read until clicked on. They
    >>> will sit there all day and night as unread until I click on them.
    >>> The time delay after clicking on a header can be run up to 999 sec.
    >>> I only tested to 120 sec. and it worked. You say it automatically
    >>> marks an email as Read as soon as it is clicked on, even when it
    >>> hasn't been opened and read. *When you click on a header that is
    >>> exactly what you are doing. Opening the email weather you read it or
    >>> not.* Good luck in any event.

    >> Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
    >> As I said I installed and downloaded it last night so I'm using the
    >> most current version. Not sure what version number it is without
    >> looking.
    >>
    >> As far as the preview option goes, I understand that some of the
    >> message as to be technically opened to provide the preview. What I'm
    >> specifically saying is that the actual message header in the Inbox
    >> should not change to 'Read' while being previewed. It should only
    >> change to 'Read' when the message is opened in its own Window or
    >> marked as 'Read' when specified by the user.

    > I understand your description of how you like to work, but that wouldn't
    > work for me because I /never/ open a message in its own window to read
    > it. Why bother when it's right there in the preview pane?
    >

    >> Other applications I use manage this perfectly without any problem.
    >> They even have options to allow this. It's just a pity that
    >> Thunderbird doesn't do it. I was expecting it to have a much better
    >> user interface then Outlook Express as the minimum.

    > Well, sw is a very personal thing. I much prefer Mozilla mail/news
    > applications over OE.
    >

    >> I don't usually use the preview options for valid security reasons,
    >> but I will need to use from time to time for one specific account.
    >>

    > I'm guessing your reference to security is that you're concerned about
    > spam emails reporting back to the originator. You can turn off remote
    > images, javascript, and plugins in mail/news. When the Junk Mail filter
    > is trained it will catch most (some report near 100%, others less) spam.
    > The few that get through mine I simply right-click and Mark As Junk.
    > This does not open the message in the preview pane.
    >
    > As for the marking as Read, I may scan a message (in the Preview pane)
    > and decide to come back to it later. In which case I can simply hit "M"
    > and the "Read" state is toggled back on; easy enough if it's that
    > important to me. What I also may do is move such messages into a
    > special folder that I'll check when I have time. In which case I
    > couldn't care less how they're marked.

    Very well said Ed, Thank You

    Old Gringo, Jul 18, 2005
  11. Zygon Curry

    Zygon Curry Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:56:57 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >Well, sw is a very personal thing. I much prefer Mozilla mail/news
    >applications over OE.

    I don't use Outlook Express. Just used that as an example as the bare
    minimum. I tend to use Agent 2 and Outlook 2003. Both work pretty
    well, especially since I have a system in place that cuts out nearly
    all spam.

    >> I don't usually use the preview options for valid security reasons,
    >> but I will need to use from time to time for one specific account.
    >>

    >I'm guessing your reference to security is that you're concerned about
    >spam emails reporting back to the originator. You can turn off remote
    >images, javascript, and plugins in mail/news.

    I already do that in my email and news clients, and prefer to send and
    recieve text only emails.

    > When the Junk Mail filter
    >is trained it will catch most (some report near 100%, others less) spam.
    > The few that get through mine I simply right-click and Mark As Junk.
    >This does not open the message in the preview pane.

    I'm not really worried about spam as such. My ISP provides me with
    configurable filters at the POP3 server level which I use. I've got
    them configured so that they capture and delete pretty much all spam
    as soon as they enter the POP3 server. On top of that I only dowload
    email headers first for all emails before choosing which emails to
    actually download. I've found that the combination of these two
    systems pretty much results in no spam entering my computer.

    >As for the marking as Read, I may scan a message (in the Preview pane)
    >and decide to come back to it later. In which case I can simply hit "M"
    >and the "Read" state is toggled back on; easy enough if it's that
    >important to me. What I also may do is move such messages into a
    >special folder that I'll check when I have time. In which case I
    >couldn't care less how they're marked.

    That's a decent enough work around. I guess it comes down to how tou
    work and manage your email. In my case I tend to use multiple accounts
    and I want to keep the emails for each account in its own specific
    folder until I've finalised the emails and archived them.

    I'll give Thunderbird a try and see how it goes with one account. The
    client itself looks decent enough. I just find it a little
    disappointing that a basic option I've used for years in several well
    known email and news applications as not been included in Thunderbird.

    Zygon Curry, Jul 18, 2005
  12. Zygon Curry

    Tom Guest

    Zygon Curry wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:07:41 -0500, Doug G <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Zygon Curry wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:02:54 -0500, Doug G <>
    >>>wrote:

    >>>If I untick that box it still marks the message read the moment the
    >>>message is selected, but not opened. What I have just noticed is that
    >>>if the message preview pane is switched off then it does exactly as I
    >>>want it to and not mark the message read. Unfortunately that defeats
    >>>the purpose of a preview pane.
    >>>

    >>If the message preview pane is open when you select a message, you are
    >>opening it. It doesn't matter whether you read it or not.

    > Unfortunately, it's going to be this poorly designed preview option
    > that is going to stop me from using Thunderbird an email and
    > newsreader. I wanted to use Thunderbird for a specific mail account.
    >
    > Outlook 2003, Agent 2 and other mail and newsgroup reader
    > applications I use provide preview options without having to mark
    > messages as read.
    >
    > Pity really since I've always been a Netscape and Mozilla user.

    I kind of agree with Zygon on this. Back when I used to have a job, we
    used an old commercial mail reader.(I can't remember which one, it might
    have been a proprietarty one.) That one allowed you to single click on
    an email and you'd get a sample of the message. It didn't open unless
    you double clicked on it. If it was spam you could delete it without
    opening it all the way. (Kind of like G-mail is now but not exactly.) I
    like the junk mail feature on T-bird too, but I'd rather be able to
    delete or junk the spam with out opening them. I'd also like to be able
    to delete useless NG messages also, like ForteAgent and Newsrover.

    Oh well, I guess you can't always get what you want. That applies to
    Email clients and women! T-bird is still the best around! IMHO

    Tom

    Tom, Jul 20, 2005
  13. Zygon Curry

    Doug G Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Zygon Curry wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:07:41 -0500, Doug G <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>If the message preview pane is open when you select a message, you are
    >>>opening it. It doesn't matter whether you read it or not.

    >> Unfortunately, it's going to be this poorly designed preview option
    >> that is going to stop me from using Thunderbird an email and
    >> newsreader. I wanted to use Thunderbird for a specific mail account.
    >>
    >> Outlook 2003, Agent 2 and other mail and newsgroup reader
    >> applications I use provide preview options without having to mark
    >> messages as read.
    >>
    >> Pity really since I've always been a Netscape and Mozilla user.
    >>

    > I kind of agree with Zygon on this. Back when I used to have a job, we
    > used an old commercial mail reader.(I can't remember which one, it might
    > have been a proprietarty one.) That one allowed you to single click on
    > an email and you'd get a sample of the message. It didn't open unless
    > you double clicked on it. If it was spam you could delete it without
    > opening it all the way. (Kind of like G-mail is now but not exactly.) I
    > like the junk mail feature on T-bird too, but I'd rather be able to
    > delete or junk the spam with out opening them. I'd also like to be able
    > to delete useless NG messages also, like ForteAgent and Newsrover.
    >
    > Oh well, I guess you can't always get what you want. That applies to
    > Email clients and women! T-bird is still the best around! IMHO
    >
    > Tom

    I have Junk Mail Controls set to send junk mail to the Trash folder when
    I click the dot in the junk status column in the headers pane. I don't
    need to open the message to do so.

    Doug G, Jul 20, 2005
  14. wayne wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:08:37 +0100, Zygon Curry wrote:

    >>>Try using or changing the "Mark message read ..." setting in Tools >
    >>>Options > Advanced > General Settings.

    >>Thanks for your reply.
    >>
    >>I've tried that already last night and it doesn't work. The option it
    >>gives in there is to mark messages read after the number of seconds you
    >>specify, default is 5 seconds.
    >>
    >>If I untick that box it still marks the message read the moment the
    >>message is selected, but not opened. What I have just noticed is that if
    >>the message preview pane is switched off then it does exactly as I want it
    >>to and not mark the message read. Unfortunately that defeats the purpose
    >>of a preview pane.

    > That's always bothered me too. I'd like to see: left click selects
    > and opens, middle click selects but does not open.
    >
    > -- Wayne.

    It seems rather pointless to discriminate between opening and previewing
    a message, since technically in both cases your system is reading the
    message. As people who send emals with nasty things in them are likely
    to put those in befor the text, harm will result from preview just as
    well as from opening.

    To be able to take a riskfree look at a suspect mesage, it would be more
    useful to have an extension (plus corresponding toolbarbutten) that
    opens a message as pure ASCII, without any interpretation of special
    characters at all.

    --
    Vriendelijke groet,
    Jan van Aalderen, Amstelveen

    Jan van Aalderen, Jul 25, 2005
  15. Zygon Curry

    Zyll

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    There are two points with the automatic-marked-read feature that make the current behavior - sorry - ugly:

    1) I have noticed, that filtering my inbox with filter set to only move read messages to the next folders, when the last message (read) is filtered away, the focus jumps to the second to the last message (now last and previously unread), marks the message as read and filters that away too. Result: emails are cleared from my inbox and I have not had more than 0.1 s to read them. In fact, I might not even have had enough time to realize where to go look for them.
    I am wondering how many emails have gone lost...

    2) There are so many reasons that a user might not have really read the message (small preview window, filtering as above, etc.) that it seems quite difficult to have a program decide for me if something has been read or not.

    Therefore, although other users might want the automatic mark-read, it does not work for me. All we are asking for is the option to switch something off!

    Zyll, Apr 21, 2010