Thunderbird Mail Wiped Out

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Promajority, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. Promajority

    Promajority Guest

    Greetings,

    Today when I got up I kept getting a window indicating that Windows file
    system32 is "corrupt and unreadable" and that I should run the chkdsk
    utility. I attempted to do so but I got a window indicating that it
    could not do so because it didn't have access to certain files and that
    I should restart my computer. I did so and before it took me to my
    desktop I got a blue screen and what looked like a disk checking utility
    run a series of tests and corrections. When Windows finally booted up I
    opened Thunderbird and my inbox was empty even though every other file
    folder hadn't lost anything.

    I had close to 8500 messages in my inbox and would dearly love to get
    them back. Does anyone have any idea as to how this can be done?

    Thanks!
     
    Promajority, Jan 30, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Promajority

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Promajority wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > Today when I got up I kept getting a window indicating that Windows file
    > system32 is "corrupt and unreadable" and that I should run the chkdsk
    > utility. I attempted to do so but I got a window indicating that it
    > could not do so because it didn't have access to certain files and that
    > I should restart my computer. I did so and before it took me to my
    > desktop I got a blue screen and what looked like a disk checking utility
    > run a series of tests and corrections. When Windows finally booted up I
    > opened Thunderbird and my inbox was empty even though every other file
    > folder hadn't lost anything.
    >
    > I had close to 8500 messages in my inbox and would dearly love to get
    > them back. Does anyone have any idea as to how this can be done?
    >
    > Thanks!


    Your email is kept in your profile (which you should, as you now know,
    be backing up on a regular basis). Location depends on operating
    system, see:

    http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

    Close Tbird completely. Look in the Mail sub-folder, under your email
    account name, for a file called "Inbox" - no extension. If that file is
    there and shows something other than zero size, you may be able to
    recover. Try deleting the "Inbox.msf" file. Do NOT ***REPEAT*** do NOT
    delete the file that has no extension! Then run Tbird and report back.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html
    Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.
     
    Ed Mullen, Jan 30, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Promajority

    Promajority Guest

    Dear Ed,

    I located the mail subfolder and the Inbox file without an extension had
    2kb in it. I moved Inbox.msf to one of my secondary drive and then
    re-opened Thunderbird and there was one recent arrival in my inbox but
    no sign of the rest of the almost 8,500 emails.

    Am I out of luck or is there anything else I can try?

    I realize I should have backed up my profile on a regular basis and I
    guess I'm discovering this the hard way.

    Thanks for replying.

    Steve


    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Your email is kept in your profile (which you should, as you now know,
    > be backing up on a regular basis). Location depends on operating
    > system, see:
    >
    > http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    >
    > Close Tbird completely. Look in the Mail sub-folder, under your email
    > account name, for a file called "Inbox" - no extension. If that file is
    > there and shows something other than zero size, you may be able to
    > recover. Try deleting the "Inbox.msf" file. Do NOT ***REPEAT*** do NOT
    > delete the file that has no extension! Then run Tbird and report back.
    >
     
    Promajority, Jan 30, 2005
    #3
  4. Promajority

    Z Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Your email is kept in your profile (which you should, as you now know,
    > be backing up on a regular basis). Location depends on operating
    > system, see:
    >
    > http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    >
    > Close Tbird completely. Look in the Mail sub-folder, under your email
    > account name, for a file called "Inbox" - no extension. If that file is
    > there and shows something other than zero size, you may be able to
    > recover. Try deleting the "Inbox.msf" file. Do NOT ***REPEAT*** do NOT
    > delete the file that has no extension! Then run Tbird and report back.


    BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THAT, backup the entire profile tree.
     
    Z, Jan 30, 2005
    #4
  5. Promajority

    Promajority Guest

    Z wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Your email is kept in your profile (which you should, as you now know,
    >> be backing up on a regular basis). Location depends on operating
    >> system, see:
    >>
    >> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    >>
    >> Close Tbird completely. Look in the Mail sub-folder, under your email
    >> account name, for a file called "Inbox" - no extension. If that file
    >> is there and shows something other than zero size, you may be able to
    >> recover. Try deleting the "Inbox.msf" file. Do NOT ***REPEAT*** do
    >> NOT delete the file that has no extension! Then run Tbird and report
    >> back.

    >
    >
    > BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THAT, backup the entire profile tree.


    Z,

    I cut and pasted the Inbox.msf file to one of my secondary drives just
    in case and then then after re-opening and closing Thunderbird went back
    into the Mail subfolder and another one was present (it was a different
    size than the one I cut and pasted).

    Mail has starting coming in so the Inbox file with no extension is now
    at 82kb. Will this have any impact on the possibility of retrieving what
    used to be in there?

    Thanks.
     
    Promajority, Jan 30, 2005
    #5
  6. Promajority

    Z Guest

    Promajority wrote:
    >>> Close Tbird completely. Look in the Mail sub-folder, under your
    >>> email account name, for a file called "Inbox" - no extension. If
    >>> that file is there and shows something other than zero size, you may
    >>> be able to recover. Try deleting the "Inbox.msf" file. Do NOT
    >>> ***REPEAT*** do NOT delete the file that has no extension! Then run
    >>> Tbird and report back.


    >> BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THAT, backup the entire profile tree.


    > I cut and pasted the Inbox.msf file to one of my secondary drives just
    > in case and then then after re-opening and closing Thunderbird went back
    > into the Mail subfolder and another one was present (it was a different
    > size than the one I cut and pasted).
    >
    > Mail has starting coming in so the Inbox file with no extension is now
    > at 82kb. Will this have any impact on the possibility of retrieving what
    > used to be in there?
    >
    > Thanks.


    PS: BEFORE YOU START PLAYING AROUND WITH YOUR LAST KNOWN GOOD E-MAIL
    FOLDERS, MAKE COPIES OF THEM FOR SAFEKEEPING! JUST IN CASE.


    re: specific mail files

    I have NO idea how to manipulate the various mail files _within_ the
    directories. The way I restored my mail when my drive failed was:

    1. Install TB on new drive

    2. Created a new, e-mail acct in TB using the correct POP server name
    and unticked all the settings that might connect automatically: check at
    startup, check every n minutes and, just in case, I checked leave
    message on server.

    3. I found the root directory of that new e-mail acct with Account
    Settings > highlight e-mail acct > Server Settings > Local Directory
    (eg: C:\Documents and Settings\...\Mail\mail.MyPopServer.com)

    4. Exited TB

    5. Renamed the mail.MyPopServer.com folder (from Step 3) to something else.

    6. Copied my last known good copy of the old tree, mail.MyPopServer.com,
    from my backup to my new hard drive into the Mail directory (where the
    renamed directory from Step 5 was).

    7. I started TB and I had all my old e-mail.


    To retrieve the address book, it was much easier. First, create a new
    contact and exit TB. That creates a new file: abook.mab. Find abook.mab,
    rename it to something else (or delete it) and put your last known good
    copies of your old abook.mab _and_ history,.mab into that directory.

    Restart TB. You should have all your old contacts.

    Also, once you're happy that email send/recv is working 100%, go back
    and tick the settings for check at startup, check every n minutes,
    uncheck leave on server, etc. (Assuming that's what you want).

    That's how _I_ restored my old mail. I didn't play around with
    individual Inbox folders, etc.
     
    Z, Jan 31, 2005
    #6
  7. Promajority

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Promajority wrote:

    > Dear Ed,
    >
    > I located the mail subfolder and the Inbox file without an extension had
    > 2kb in it. I moved Inbox.msf to one of my secondary drive and then
    > re-opened Thunderbird and there was one recent arrival in my inbox but
    > no sign of the rest of the almost 8,500 emails.
    >
    > Am I out of luck or is there anything else I can try?
    >
    > I realize I should have backed up my profile on a regular basis and I
    > guess I'm discovering this the hard way.
    >
    > Thanks for replying.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    >
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Your email is kept in your profile (which you should, as you now know,
    >> be backing up on a regular basis). Location depends on operating
    >> system, see:
    >>
    >> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    >>
    >> Close Tbird completely. Look in the Mail sub-folder, under your email
    >> account name, for a file called "Inbox" - no extension. If that file
    >> is there and shows something other than zero size, you may be able to
    >> recover. Try deleting the "Inbox.msf" file. Do NOT ***REPEAT*** do
    >> NOT delete the file that has no extension! Then run Tbird and report
    >> back.
    >>


    If the mail file is only 2 Kb I would say you are out of luck. Any
    chance of a backup anywhere?

    Not trying to rub it in but this is exactly why the first bit of advice
    on my Mozilla pages is to do regular backups. It's a computer, shit
    will most definitely happen. We can rant all we want but it's a
    man-made device and man-made software. It's gonna break when we least
    want it to. Backup ... backup ... backup ... backup ...

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html
    Why do women wear evening gowns to nightclubs? Shouldn't they be wearing
    night gowns?
     
    Ed Mullen, Jan 31, 2005
    #7
  8. Promajority

    Promajority Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > If the mail file is only 2 Kb I would say you are out of luck. Any
    > chance of a backup anywhere?
    >
    > Not trying to rub it in but this is exactly why the first bit of advice
    > on my Mozilla pages is to do regular backups. It's a computer, shit
    > will most definitely happen. We can rant all we want but it's a
    > man-made device and man-made software. It's gonna break when we least
    > want it to. Backup ... backup ... backup ... backup ...


    Ed,

    I'm by no means blaming the program. I didn't back it up and I should
    have and now I'm paying the price. The same of course applies to all
    files and programs.

    However, I don't understand why it wiped out only the inbox and retained
    everything else including my contacts. Anyone have an explanation?
     
    Promajority, Jan 31, 2005
    #8
  9. Promajority

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Promajority wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> If the mail file is only 2 Kb I would say you are out of luck. Any
    >> chance of a backup anywhere?
    >>
    >> Not trying to rub it in but this is exactly why the first bit of
    >> advice on my Mozilla pages is to do regular backups. It's a computer,
    >> shit will most definitely happen. We can rant all we want but it's a
    >> man-made device and man-made software. It's gonna break when we least
    >> want it to. Backup ... backup ... backup ... backup ...

    >
    >
    > Ed,
    >
    > I'm by no means blaming the program. I didn't back it up and I should
    > have and now I'm paying the price. The same of course applies to all
    > files and programs.
    >
    > However, I don't understand why it wiped out only the inbox and retained
    > everything else including my contacts. Anyone have an explanation?
    >


    Given your original post describing what looked like a system failure,
    no, I have not idea. If Tbird was running during the crash there could
    be many files open and vulnerable to corruption during the crash. Why
    one file and not others? No rhyme or reason during a system crash.

    If you had thousands of emails in Tbird you must have been using some
    other mail clients in the past and imported some of those emails. do
    you have any of those backed up?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html
    When you open a new bag of cotton balls, are you supposed to throw the
    top one away?
     
    Ed Mullen, Jan 31, 2005
    #9
  10. Promajority

    Z Guest

    Promajority wrote:
    > However, I don't understand why it wiped out only the inbox and retained
    > everything else including my contacts. Anyone have an explanation?


    Contacts are contained in two separate files, abook.mab and history.mab,
    not in any mail folders.
     
    Z, Jan 31, 2005
    #10
  11. Promajority

    Promajority Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Promajority wrote:
    >
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:


    > Given your original post describing what looked like a system failure,
    > no, I have not idea. If Tbird was running during the crash there could
    > be many files open and vulnerable to corruption during the crash. Why
    > one file and not others? No rhyme or reason during a system crash.
    >
    > If you had thousands of emails in Tbird you must have been using some
    > other mail clients in the past and imported some of those emails. do
    > you have any of those backed up?


    Ed,

    I'm on several high volume lists and I also have many, many google news
    alerts that arrive daily. Hence, it doesn't take long before my inbox
    becomes swamped. If I had placed my incoming mail into folders I
    wouldn't be in this situation but I didn't and I'm suffering because of it.

    And like you said, there's no rhyme nor reason when a crash occurs so
    why it would only affect the inbox will likely remain a mystery.

    Thanks for your input nevertheless.
     
    Promajority, Jan 31, 2005
    #11
  12. Promajority

    Promajority Guest

    Z wrote:

    > Promajority wrote:
    >
    >> However, I don't understand why it wiped out only the inbox and
    >> retained everything else including my contacts. Anyone have an
    >> explanation?

    >
    >
    > Contacts are contained in two separate files, abook.mab and history.mab,
    > not in any mail folders.


    At least that's one part of the mystery that's been solved! :)
     
    Promajority, Jan 31, 2005
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Keep getting my server wiped out.

    , Jan 26, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    505
    zenner
    Jan 27, 2004
  2. BIOS wiped out - is it a virus?

    , Jul 16, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    2,935
    John Vogel
    Jul 21, 2004
  3. Replies:
    84
    Views:
    2,354
    Ralph Wade Phillips
    Jun 9, 2006
  4. Skippyboy
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    459
    Skippyboy
    May 15, 2007
  5. E. Scrooge
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    670
    E. Scrooge
    May 19, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page