    I updated T'bird to the latest rendition and my junk mail controls
    stopped. Now I must wade through the entire list and sort out the junk
    mail manually. Any ideas on how I might fix this?

    David Ellis, Dec 12, 2007

  2. David Ellis wrote:
    > I updated T'bird to the latest rendition and my junk mail controls
    > stopped. Now I must wade through the entire list and sort out the junk
    > mail manually. Any ideas on how I might fix this?

    In TB 2.0, the Junk settings are on an account by account basis, in
    Account Settings. First, make suer the accounts are set up correctly.
    Also, make sure the default settings are correct in Tools>>Options>>Privacy.

    Assuming the settings are correct, you may need to click the Reset
    Training Data button. This basically erases the filters and you start
    over with training.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 12, 2007

  3. David Ellis

    Guest

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:35:29 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >David Ellis wrote:
    >> I updated T'bird to the latest rendition and my junk mail controls
    >> stopped. Now I must wade through the entire list and sort out the junk
    >> mail manually. Any ideas on how I might fix this?

    >In TB 2.0, the Junk settings are on an account by account basis, in
    >Account Settings. First, make suer the accounts are set up correctly.
    >Also, make sure the default settings are correct in Tools>>Options>>Privacy.
    >
    >Assuming the settings are correct, you may need to click the Reset
    >Training Data button. This basically erases the filters and you start
    >over with training.
    >
    >Lee

    Mine didn't stop working but they seem to have become much less
    effective with the recent upgrade - more gets missed. The setting are
    unchanged as they should be.

    , Dec 12, 2007
  4. David Ellis

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > David Ellis wrote:
    >> I updated T'bird to the latest rendition and my junk mail controls
    >> stopped. Now I must wade through the entire list and sort out the junk
    >> mail manually. Any ideas on how I might fix this?

    > In TB 2.0, the Junk settings are on an account by account basis, in
    > Account Settings. First, make suer the accounts are set up correctly.
    > Also, make sure the default settings are correct in
    > Tools>>Options>>Privacy.
    >
    > Assuming the settings are correct, you may need to click the Reset
    > Training Data button. This basically erases the filters and you start
    > over with training.

    As Lee said, you may need to reset and retrain the filter. As time goes
    on the spammers change tactics and the content of their spam in ways
    that make a filter less effective simply because it is no longer seeing
    the same "clues" that would tell it a message is spam.

    Retraining is the only resort.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 12, 2007
  5. David Ellis

    Anthony Guest

    On Dec 11 2007, 11:28 pm, wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:35:29 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >David Ellis wrote:
    > >> I updated T'bird to the latest rendition and my junk mail controls
    > >> stopped. Now I must wade through the entire list and sort out the junk
    > >> mail manually. Any ideas on how I might fix this?

    > Mine didn't stop working but they seem to have become much less
    > effective with the recent upgrade - more gets missed. The setting are
    > unchanged as they should be.

    I've had an odd incident along these lines. My Junk mail stopped
    working (well, caught about .05% of junk mails) as of Dec 24 2007. I
    debated un- and reinstalling for days (I was off for a two week
    vacation) and never did. Now, today, Jan 3 2008, it's working again.
    NO updates to the client (same version as when it stopped working).
    This is just bizarre.

    Anthony
    www.Malena.net

    Anthony, Jan 3, 2008
  6. David Ellis

    Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 07:03:30 -0800 (PST), Anthony <>
    wrote:

    >On Dec 11 2007, 11:28 pm, wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:35:29 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    >> wrote:

    >> Mine didn't stop working but they seem to have become much less
    >> effective with the recent upgrade - more gets missed. The setting are
    >> unchanged as they should be.

    >I've had an odd incident along these lines. My Junk mail stopped
    >working (well, caught about .05% of junk mails) as of Dec 24 2007. I
    >debated un- and reinstalling for days (I was off for a two week
    >vacation) and never did. Now, today, Jan 3 2008, it's working again.
    >NO updates to the client (same version as when it stopped working).
    >This is just bizarre.
    >
    >Anthony

    Had the same problem here. Occurred some time after an upgrade (not
    immediately). I reset the training and after a week or so it seems to
    be catching most things again.

    Jim

    , Jan 3, 2008

  7. > Had the same problem here. Occurred some time after an upgrade (not
    > immediately). I reset the training and after a week or so it seems to
    > be catching most things again.
    >
    > Jim

    How do you get Thunderbird to automatically move emails IT identifies
    as spam into the junk folder?

    It's all well and good correctly telling spam from ham, but it would
    be great if it actually did the useful bit of moving it to Junk!

    northshorefiend, Jan 9, 2008
  8. On Jan 9, 12:25 pm, northshorefiend <>
    wrote:
    > > Had the same problem here. Occurred some time after an upgrade (not
    > > immediately). I reset the training and after a week or so it seems to
    > > be catching most things again.

    > > Jim

    > How do you get Thunderbird to automatically move emails IT identifies
    > as spam into the junk folder?
    >
    > It's all well and good correctly telling spam from ham, but it would
    > be great if it actually did the useful bit of moving it to Junk!

    Found it, sorry!

    under Account Settings > junk settings

    a pointer under privacy > junk would be nice!

    northshorefiend, Jan 9, 2008
  9. David Ellis

    Justin Guest

    northshorefiend wrote on [Wed, 9 Jan 2008 04:28:39 -0800 (PST)]:
    > On Jan 9, 12:25 pm, northshorefiend <>
    > wrote:
    >> > Had the same problem here. Occurred some time after an upgrade (not
    >> > immediately). I reset the training and after a week or so it seems to
    >> > be catching most things again.

    >> > Jim

    >> How do you get Thunderbird to automatically move emails IT identifies
    >> as spam into the junk folder?
    >>
    >> It's all well and good correctly telling spam from ham, but it would
    >> be great if it actually did the useful bit of moving it to Junk!

    > Found it, sorry!
    >
    > under Account Settings > junk settings
    >
    > a pointer under privacy > junk would be nice!

    It is under privacy->Junk

    Justin, Jan 9, 2008