Thunderbird is supposed to have wow ?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by R Fruth in Houston, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. R Fruth in Houston, Dec 16, 2004

  2. R Fruth in Houston wrote:
    > Review: E-Mail Program Lacks 'Wow' Factor
    >
    > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...1216/ap_on_hi_te/tech_test_thunderbird_e_mail

    I saw this yesterday too. For the most part, its a pretty fair
    assessment, though many of the features it complains about TB lacking
    can be added easily via extensions.

    In all, TB, to me at any rate, has been rushed to 1.0 before tis really
    ready. Its very good beta software.

    Then again, its true of Firefox as well. The original plan was to have
    re;eases of 0.11 and 0.12, then a series of release candidates, before
    the 1.0 release, which would have put 1.0 probably early summer, 2005.
    It was seen, correctly I think, that the marketing time was ripe for an
    assault on IE, and so FF was rushed out.

    TB pretty much got dragged along for the ride. Mid summer 2005 ought to
    see a very different piece of software then we are using now.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 16, 2004

  3. R Fruth in Houston

    Gunther Guest

    In article <qKowd.466$>,
    says...
    > R Fruth in Houston wrote:
    > > Review: E-Mail Program Lacks 'Wow' Factor
    > >
    > > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...1216/ap_on_hi_te/tech_test_thunderbird_e_mail
    > >

    > I saw this yesterday too. For the most part, its a pretty fair
    > assessment, though many of the features it complains about TB lacking
    > can be added easily via extensions.
    >
    > In all, TB, to me at any rate, has been rushed to 1.0 before tis really
    > ready. Its very good beta software.

    Hmmmm.... I've used TB as my only email client since version
    0.1, and frequently installed nightly builds just for the fun of it.
    In all that time, I've had no problems. Not just minor ones, but
    really zero problems.
    So in what way is it not ready to be 1.0? What about it dooms it
    to continual "betaness?"

    Gunther (Note that I don't use it as a newsreader, since Gravity
    still works for me. But the few times I've tried it for that,
    TB certainly seemed functional.)

    Gunther, Dec 17, 2004
  4. R Fruth in Houston

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    On 12/16/2004 4:49 PM R Fruth in Houston wrote:
    > Review: E-Mail Program Lacks 'Wow' Factor
    >
    > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...1216/ap_on_hi_te/tech_test_thunderbird_e_mail

    [quoted]
    I just can't see too many people abandoning Microsoft's Outlook, if they
    use it. Outlook is the gold standard in e-mail programs, despite its
    $109 list price.
    [/quote]

    I didn't know Thunderbird was competing against Outlook; I've always
    thought of it as an alternative for OE users.
    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    :: BRIAN ::, Dec 17, 2004
  5. R Fruth in Houston

    Url Guest

    :: BRIAN :: wrote:
    > On 12/16/2004 4:49 PM R Fruth in Houston wrote:
    >
    >>Review: E-Mail Program Lacks 'Wow' Factor
    >>
    >>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...1216/ap_on_hi_te/tech_test_thunderbird_e_mail
    >>

    > [quoted]
    > I just can't see too many people abandoning Microsoft's Outlook, if they
    > use it. Outlook is the gold standard in e-mail programs, despite its
    > $109 list price.
    > [/quote]
    >
    > I didn't know Thunderbird was competing against Outlook; I've always
    > thought of it as an alternative for OE users.

    I abandoned Outlook for Thunderbird. I prefer Thunderbird's separate
    mail folders to Outlook's combined .pst file.

    I prefer the ability in Outlook to respond to an e-mail in a local
    folder and have the sent message automatically be placed in the folder
    from whence it came without having to either manually transfer from the
    sent file or request a copy be placed in the folder when mailing.

    Url, Dec 17, 2004
  6. R Fruth in Houston

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    On 12/16/2004 11:38 PM Url wrote:
    > :: BRIAN :: wrote:
    >
    >> On 12/16/2004 4:49 PM R Fruth in Houston wrote:
    >>
    >>> Review: E-Mail Program Lacks 'Wow' Factor
    >>>
    >>> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...1216/ap_on_hi_te/tech_test_thunderbird_e_mail
    >>>

    >> [quoted]
    >> I just can't see too many people abandoning Microsoft's Outlook, if
    >> they use it. Outlook is the gold standard in e-mail programs, despite
    >> its $109 list price.
    >> [/quote]
    >>
    >> I didn't know Thunderbird was competing against Outlook; I've always
    >> thought of it as an alternative for OE users.

    > I abandoned Outlook for Thunderbird. I prefer Thunderbird's separate
    > mail folders to Outlook's combined .pst file.
    >
    > I prefer the ability in Outlook to respond to an e-mail in a local
    > folder and have the sent message automatically be placed in the folder
    > from whence it came without having to either manually transfer from the
    > sent file or request a copy be placed in the folder when mailing.

    I guess when I think of "Outlook users", I think of a work environment;
    I forget that there are home based users who use Outlook also.

    :: BRIAN ::, Dec 17, 2004