Thunderbird: How to reply above quoted text?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Rocinante, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. Rocinante

    Rocinante Guest

    Is there a way to reply above the quoted text automatically instead of the
    cursor appearing below the text?

    --
    "To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit
    the target."

    1/18/2005 2:36:17 PM
    Rocinante, Jan 18, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rocinante

    Rocinante Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:37:53 -0500, Rocinante wrote:

    > Is there a way to reply above the quoted text automatically instead of the
    > cursor appearing below the text?


    Never mind, I found it in account settings.

    --
    Hlade's Law: "If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person --
    they will find an easier way to do it."

    1/18/2005 2:42:00 PM
    Rocinante, Jan 18, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rocinante wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:37:53 -0500, Rocinante wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Is there a way to reply above the quoted text automatically instead of the
    >>cursor appearing below the text?

    >
    >
    > Never mind, I found it in account settings.
    >


    Yes, but please don't do it, it is so frustrating to get the answer
    above the statement or question it is supposed to have a relation to!
    And when/if you do please don't ever reply to any of my postings or
    possible mails. It's below as default for a reason.

    Erlend.
    --
    "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few
    drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." -
    Mahatma Gandhi.
    * Erlend Nilssen : [fjernes]
    Erlend Nilssen, Jan 18, 2005
    #3
  4. Rocinante

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Erlend Nilssen* wrote:
    > Rocinante wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:37:53 -0500, Rocinante wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Is there a way to reply above the quoted text automatically instead of the
    >>>cursor appearing below the text?

    >>
    >>
    >> Never mind, I found it in account settings.
    >>

    >
    > Yes, but please don't do it, it is so frustrating to get the answer
    > above the statement or question it is supposed to have a relation to!
    > And when/if you do please don't ever reply to any of my postings or
    > possible mails. It's below as default for a reason.
    >


    You mean like this: :)

    A: Because it's annoying and makes no sense.
    Q: Why is top-posting bad?
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet?

    --
    /Arne
    Arne, Jan 18, 2005
    #4
  5. Rocinante

    Rocinante Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:52:30 +0100, Erlend Nilssen wrote:

    > Rocinante wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:37:53 -0500, Rocinante wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Is there a way to reply above the quoted text automatically instead of the
    >>>cursor appearing below the text?

    >>
    >>
    >> Never mind, I found it in account settings.
    >>

    >
    > Yes, but please don't do it, it is so frustrating to get the answer
    > above the statement or question it is supposed to have a relation to!
    > And when/if you do please don't ever reply to any of my postings or
    > possible mails. It's below as default for a reason.
    >
    > Erlend.


    I agree, bottom posting is the standard for Usenet, but top posting is the
    standard for personal, academic, and business emails.

    --
    "Work is accomplished by those employees who have not reached their level
    of incompetence."

    1/18/2005 11:11:00 PM
    Rocinante, Jan 19, 2005
    #5
  6. Rocinante

    Tony Raven Guest

    Erlend Nilssen wrote:
    >
    > Yes, but please don't do it, it is so frustrating to get the answer
    > above the statement or question it is supposed to have a relation to!
    > And when/if you do please don't ever reply to any of my postings or
    > possible mails. It's below as default for a reason.
    >


    Yes in Usenet but in business communications top posting has become the
    standard. I bottom post for Usenet, top post for business e-mails so
    the ability to switch does matter.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Jan 19, 2005
    #6
  7. Tony Raven wrote:
    > Erlend Nilssen wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Yes, but please don't do it, it is so frustrating to get the answer
    >> above the statement or question it is supposed to have a relation to!
    >> And when/if you do please don't ever reply to any of my postings or
    >> possible mails. It's below as default for a reason.
    >>

    >
    > Yes in Usenet but in business communications top posting has become the
    > standard. I bottom post for Usenet, top post for business e-mails so
    > the ability to switch does matter.
    >
    > Tony


    Okay, the OP posted a second post, stating he had founs the answer.

    In TB its an account by account basis, not a global one. Simply set
    your email acocunts to top post, and your nenws accounts to bottom post.

    Mnenhy allows folder by folder settings, so, with a little tweaking, you
    can set individual newsgroups for top or bottom posting, as per the
    group preference.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 19, 2005
    #7
  8. Rocinante wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:52:30 +0100, Erlend Nilssen wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Rocinante wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:37:53 -0500, Rocinante wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Is there a way to reply above the quoted text automatically instead of the
    >>>>cursor appearing below the text?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Never mind, I found it in account settings.
    >>>

    >>
    >>Yes, but please don't do it, it is so frustrating to get the answer
    >>above the statement or question it is supposed to have a relation to!
    >>And when/if you do please don't ever reply to any of my postings or
    >>possible mails. It's below as default for a reason.
    >>
    >>Erlend.

    >
    >
    > I agree, bottom posting is the standard for Usenet, but top posting is the
    > standard for personal, academic, and business emails.
    >


    I disagree. top posting is a bother wherever it comes. Including email.


    --
    "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few
    drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." -
    Mahatma Gandhi.
    * Erlend Nilssen : [fjernes]
    Erlend Nilssen, Jan 19, 2005
    #8
  9. Rocinante

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Tony Raven* wrote:

    > Erlend Nilssen wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, but please don't do it, it is so frustrating to get the answer
    >> above the statement or question it is supposed to have a relation to!
    >> And when/if you do please don't ever reply to any of my postings or
    >> possible mails. It's below as default for a reason.
    >>

    >
    > Yes in Usenet but in business communications top posting has become the
    > standard. I bottom post for Usenet, top post for business e-mails so
    > the ability to switch does matter.


    I disagree. Topposting is *common* in e-mail, but that does not make
    it a standard.

    --
    /Arne
    http://web.telia.com/~u97802964/

    If you owe the bank a million, you have a problem.
    If you owe the bank ten million, the bank has a problem! (Unknown)
    Arne, Jan 19, 2005
    #9
  10. Rocinante

    Tx2 Guest

    In article <NkpHd.14691$>, lid,
    a.k.a Arne says...


    > I disagree. Topposting is *common* in e-mail, but that does not make
    > it a standard.


    In my 'real world' business and personal experience, what the majority
    does, defines the 'standard', over time. I believe the phrase is "common
    and practised"?

    Like it or not, a very large % of users consider the M$ way of doing
    things as the "standard" - hit them with an RFC and they'll just look
    dumb at you.

    I too bottom post for Usenet, but always place replies above quoted text
    in email.

    Perhaps it is because email is more commonly one to one, and thus the
    person to whom you are replying is more aware of how the discussion has
    progressed, whereas on Usenet, following a conversation is easier when
    replies are (correctly) placed underneath?

    Nonetheless, that's how I (and most of my correspondents) do things, so
    I have no current intention of changing my 'standards' at this time.
    Tx2, Jan 19, 2005
    #10
  11. Rocinante

    Rocinante Guest

    Erlend Nilssen wrote:
    > Rocinante wrote:
    > > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:52:30 +0100, Erlend Nilssen wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Rocinante wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:37:53 -0500, Rocinante wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>>Is there a way to reply above the quoted text automatically

    instead of the
    > >>>>cursor appearing below the text?
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>Never mind, I found it in account settings.
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >>Yes, but please don't do it, it is so frustrating to get the answer


    > >>above the statement or question it is supposed to have a relation

    to!
    > >>And when/if you do please don't ever reply to any of my postings or


    > >>possible mails. It's below as default for a reason.
    > >>
    > >>Erlend.

    > >
    > >
    > > I agree, bottom posting is the standard for Usenet, but top posting

    is the
    > > standard for personal, academic, and business emails.
    > >

    >
    > I disagree. top posting is a bother wherever it comes. Including

    email.
    >
    >
    > --
    > "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few
    > drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." -
    > Mahatma Gandhi.
    > * Erlend Nilssen : [fjernes]



    Let me clarify. I have to follow written guidelines that explicitly
    state to top post in my academic and business emails. Perhaps this is
    to save scrolling time for professors and executives. The personal
    email standard can be argued, but I have never sent, nor received, a
    bottom posted email to anyone.
    Rocinante, Jan 19, 2005
    #11
  12. Rocinante

    sreed

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Top Posting Defended

    It's one thing when one is reading something all at once, then top to bottom makes sense.

    sreed, Aug 28, 2008
    #12
  13. Rocinante

    sreed

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    But when one has read something already and wants to read the next thing, it's a lot easier if the next thing starts at the top, since one knows what is underneath without having to read it unless one forgets.

    sreed, Aug 28, 2008
    #13
  14. Rocinante

    newuser

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Instead of advertising the size of your ePeen by talking about usenet, it would be nice if you people would just answer the question:

    Edit > Account Settings > (the account) > Composition & Addressing > (drop-down list: ) "start my reply XXXX the quote"

    (Thunderbird 17.0.2)
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    newuser, Feb 24, 2013
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Cameron
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,035
    Leonidas Jones
    Oct 8, 2003
  2. Nicolas Chevreux

    Thunderbird: quoted forwarding?

    Nicolas Chevreux, Sep 8, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    998
    Kieran
    Sep 17, 2004
  3. Matt O'Toole

    Thunderbird and quoted text

    Matt O'Toole, Nov 13, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    494
    Danny Colyer
    Nov 13, 2004
  4. Larry__Weiss
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    905
    Waltzzz
    Feb 1, 2005
  5. geopelia

    Show Quoted Text in blue at top of message.

    geopelia, May 7, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    363
    geopelia
    May 7, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page