    alarming like this and not have a workaround or link to further details!

    thanks,
    lex

    Alex Hunsley, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Alex Hunsley wrote:
    > According to the Wikipedia page on Thunderbird
    > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Thunderbird):
    >
    > "Compacting folders can lead to the loss of messages in the folder you
    > are viewing at the time"
    >
    > Is this true? If so, how can I avoid this behaviour? Select an account
    > itself (rather than 'inbox', for example) before doing 'compact folders'?
    > I find it disturbing that a wikipedia page will mention something
    > alarming like this and not have a workaround or link to further details!

    Ok, this link is of some usefulness...
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders
    It doesn't seem to mention how to avoid 'losing messages' though!

    Alex Hunsley, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Alex Hunsley wrote:
    > Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >> According to the Wikipedia page on Thunderbird
    >> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Thunderbird):
    >>
    >> "Compacting folders can lead to the loss of messages in the folder you
    >> are viewing at the time"
    >>
    >> Is this true? If so, how can I avoid this behaviour? Select an account
    >> itself (rather than 'inbox', for example) before doing 'compact folders'?
    >> I find it disturbing that a wikipedia page will mention something
    >> alarming like this and not have a workaround or link to further details!

    > Ok, this link is of some usefulness...
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders
    > It doesn't seem to mention how to avoid 'losing messages' though!

    I've never had a problem of losing messages in the folder if I compacted
    it will in view... and to be honest, I dont recall anyone else having
    the problem either.

    I vagually remember something like that many moons ago, when
    Thunderbird first came out - but not since. The author of the wikipedia
    article doesnt state where that information arises from.

    I wouldnt worry about it.

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 31, 2006
  4. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >> Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >>> According to the Wikipedia page on Thunderbird
    >>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Thunderbird):
    >>>
    >>> "Compacting folders can lead to the loss of messages in the folder
    >>> you are viewing at the time"
    >>>
    >>> Is this true? If so, how can I avoid this behaviour? Select an
    >>> account itself (rather than 'inbox', for example) before doing
    >>> 'compact folders'?
    >>> I find it disturbing that a wikipedia page will mention something
    >>> alarming like this and not have a workaround or link to further details!

    >> Ok, this link is of some usefulness...
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders
    >> It doesn't seem to mention how to avoid 'losing messages' though!

    > I've never had a problem of losing messages in the folder if I compacted
    > it will in view... and to be honest, I dont recall anyone else having
    > the problem either.
    >
    > I vagually remember something like that many moons ago, when
    > Thunderbird first came out - but not since. The author of the wikipedia
    > article doesnt state where that information arises from.
    >
    > I wouldnt worry about it.

    Ok, thanks!
    lex

    Alex Hunsley, Aug 31, 2006
  5. Alex Hunsley

    Andy Luddy Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >> Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >>> According to the Wikipedia page on Thunderbird
    >>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Thunderbird):
    >>>
    >>> "Compacting folders can lead to the loss of messages in the folder
    >>> you are viewing at the time"
    >>>
    >>> Is this true? If so, how can I avoid this behaviour? Select an
    >>> account itself (rather than 'inbox', for example) before doing
    >>> 'compact folders'?
    >>> I find it disturbing that a wikipedia page will mention something
    >>> alarming like this and not have a workaround or link to further details!

    >> Ok, this link is of some usefulness...
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders
    >> It doesn't seem to mention how to avoid 'losing messages' though!

    > I've never had a problem of losing messages in the folder if I compacted
    > it will in view... and to be honest, I dont recall anyone else having
    > the problem either.
    >
    > I vagually remember something like that many moons ago, when
    > Thunderbird first came out - but not since. The author of the wikipedia
    > article doesnt state where that information arises from.
    >
    > I wouldnt worry about it.

    Combining the Wikipedia article with the Mozillazine article, I would
    hazard a guess that problem occurs when you are compacting folders at
    the same time as you get mail that should write to that folder. If
    that's the case, a safeguard would be to turn off "Automatically
    download new messages".

    --
    Andy Luddy
    Perform appendectomy to reply

    Andy Luddy, Aug 31, 2006
  6. Andy Luddy wrote:
    > Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Alex Hunsley wrote:

    >>> Ok, this link is of some usefulness...
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders
    >>> It doesn't seem to mention how to avoid 'losing messages' though!

    >> I've never had a problem of losing messages in the folder if I
    >> compacted it will in view... and to be honest, I dont recall anyone
    >> else having the problem either.
    >>
    >> I vagually remember something like that many moons ago, when
    >> Thunderbird first came out - but not since. The author of the
    >> wikipedia article doesnt state where that information arises from.
    >>
    >> I wouldnt worry about it.

    > Combining the Wikipedia article with the Mozillazine article, I would
    > hazard a guess that problem occurs when you are compacting folders at
    > the same time as you get mail that should write to that folder. If
    > that's the case, a safeguard would be to turn off "Automatically
    > download new messages".

    Presuming or hazarding a guess isnt going to cut it. My Thunderbird
    routinely offers to compress my folders as the mail is coming in, while
    I am viewing my main account.

    Again, this has never happened to me, nor have I heard of it happening
    to anyone else in the last 2 and a half years. While it may have
    occurred to the author of the wikipedia page, or he may have heard about
    it, the problem, whatever it was seems to have been fixed long ago

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 31, 2006
  7. Alex Hunsley

    rsoly

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Attention: Mozilla Champion (Dan);

    I'm not sure if you work for Mozilla or not and I'm not sure that your information is correct.

    >> I've never had a problem of losing messages in the folder if I
    >> compacted it will in view... and to be honest, I dont recall anyone
    >> else having the problem either.

    I just compacted on of my inbox folders in SeaMonkey this morning and lost all the emails that were in that inbox. Therefore, from my experience, I do not recommend to anyone to compact their folders as there is not enough information out there to know whether or not you can loose email messages and how that occurs. Shame on Mozilla for encouraging such a practice without providing sufficient guidance for their users.

    I would hazard a guess that this problem has NOT been fixed!

    rsoly, Aug 16, 2012
  8. Alex Hunsley

    jham

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    I agree with rsoly, 2 weeks ago ALL emails in inbox vanished. Archivies survived but I lost some important mail. Strange things happening today and then Thunderbird locked up....never, ever had that happen. Long, long time Thunderbird user and NEVER a clitch. What to do? Any recovery of lost mail? All this has to do with file compacting. It never happened until Thunderbird just started asking or doing the compacting. Outlook, OMG NO! But....can't live this way.

    jham, Aug 27, 2012