    Is there anyway around this?

    TIA

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 29, 2005

  2. Paul

    Moz Champion Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > There is a problem that I have been experiencing in Thunderbird and I am
    > wondering if there might be a way around it.
    >
    > I created a group of email addresses that belong to a large number of my
    > customers. Periodically, I send them notices regarding product, etc. The
    > problem is that if anyone of the addresses has a problem the whole thing
    > is not sent. In Outlook it would send to everyone that it could and then
    > it would report back to me the ones that were bad. This allowed me to
    > send off the email to all the legitamate addresses and deal with the bad
    > ones later. The way that Thunderbird has been handling this I have to
    > either delete that customer out of the address book or put in a correct
    > address right at that time. Sometimes a person is not available when I
    > need them to get a correct address so it holds up my work.
    >
    > Is there anyway around this?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Paul

    Dont enter bad addresses in the first place? <g>
    TB wont stop if the address is of the right format for example, even if
    it doesnt exist.
    i.e. will be sent but
    stupid,no,name@whatever@isp wont even tho there is no stupidnoname or
    even a whatever.isp domain.

    For example: Lets say you errouneslly entered an address of
    fred%.
    When you try to send, the message wont be sent because of the % in the
    address (illegal character)
    so, simply replace the bad character with an X and re-send the message
    The message will go out and you will most likely get a bounce back
    statiing that there is no fredXburns at the hisisp.com, which can serve
    to remind you that you need to get a correction from the customer (if
    you cant remember the corrrect one)

    'Bad' addresses wont cause TB to stop sending, it will attempt to send
    it as long as its the proper format, even if the address doesnt exist.
    So the easiest solution in never to enter an address that isnt in the
    proper format or contains illegal characters.
    Moz Champion, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    >> There is a problem that I have been experiencing in Thunderbird and I
    >> am wondering if there might be a way around it.
    >>
    >> I created a group of email addresses that belong to a large number of
    >> my customers. Periodically, I send them notices regarding product,
    >> etc. The problem is that if anyone of the addresses has a problem the
    >> whole thing is not sent. In Outlook it would send to everyone that it
    >> could and then it would report back to me the ones that were bad. This
    >> allowed me to send off the email to all the legitamate addresses and
    >> deal with the bad ones later. The way that Thunderbird has been
    >> handling this I have to either delete that customer out of the address
    >> book or put in a correct address right at that time. Sometimes a
    >> person is not available when I need them to get a correct address so
    >> it holds up my work.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway around this?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Dont enter bad addresses in the first place? <g>
    > TB wont stop if the address is of the right format for example, even if
    > it doesnt exist.
    > i.e. will be sent but
    > stupid,no,name@whatever@isp wont even tho there is no stupidnoname or
    > even a whatever.isp domain.
    >
    > For example: Lets say you errouneslly entered an address of
    > fred%.
    > When you try to send, the message wont be sent because of the % in the
    > address (illegal character)
    > so, simply replace the bad character with an X and re-send the message
    > The message will go out and you will most likely get a bounce back
    > statiing that there is no fredXburns at the hisisp.com, which can serve
    > to remind you that you need to get a correction from the customer (if
    > you cant remember the corrrect one)
    >
    > 'Bad' addresses wont cause TB to stop sending, it will attempt to send
    > it as long as its the proper format, even if the address doesnt exist.
    > So the easiest solution in never to enter an address that isnt in the
    > proper format or contains illegal characters.

    1. No offense, but by saying don't enter bad addresses in the first
    place is a no brainer. I mean who would intentionally enter a bad
    address unless a sucker for punishment. The address is valid and also in
    a valid format. I have double checked it and there is nothing wrong with
    the format just that it won't go anywhere.

    2. Even though I deleted the address out of the group, somehow TB still
    comes up with that address as a problem. I used 'search' and can now no
    longer find that address in the group or general address book.

    I am not here to muddy the water I just can't explain this behaviour by TB.
    Paul, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Paul

    fety Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > There is a problem that I have been experiencing in Thunderbird and I am
    > wondering if there might be a way around it.
    >
    > I created a group of email addresses that belong to a large number of my
    > customers. Periodically, I send them notices regarding product, etc. The
    > problem is that if anyone of the addresses has a problem the whole thing
    > is not sent. In Outlook it would send to everyone that it could and then
    > it would report back to me the ones that were bad. This allowed me to
    > send off the email to all the legitamate addresses and deal with the bad
    > ones later. The way that Thunderbird has been handling this I have to
    > either delete that customer out of the address book or put in a correct
    > address right at that time. Sometimes a person is not available when I
    > need them to get a correct address so it holds up my work.
    >
    > Is there anyway around this?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Paul

    What version of Thunderbird are you using?
    fety, Mar 29, 2005
  5. Paul

    Moz Champion Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is a problem that I have been experiencing in Thunderbird and I
    >>> am wondering if there might be a way around it.
    >>>
    >>> I created a group of email addresses that belong to a large number of
    >>> my customers. Periodically, I send them notices regarding product,
    >>> etc. The problem is that if anyone of the addresses has a problem the
    >>> whole thing is not sent. In Outlook it would send to everyone that it
    >>> could and then it would report back to me the ones that were bad.
    >>> This allowed me to send off the email to all the legitamate addresses
    >>> and deal with the bad ones later. The way that Thunderbird has been
    >>> handling this I have to either delete that customer out of the
    >>> address book or put in a correct address right at that time.
    >>> Sometimes a person is not available when I need them to get a correct
    >>> address so it holds up my work.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anyway around this?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> Dont enter bad addresses in the first place? <g>
    >> TB wont stop if the address is of the right format for example, even
    >> if it doesnt exist.
    >> i.e. will be sent but
    >> stupid,no,name@whatever@isp wont even tho there is no stupidnoname or
    >> even a whatever.isp domain.
    >>
    >> For example: Lets say you errouneslly entered an address of
    >> fred%.
    >> When you try to send, the message wont be sent because of the % in the
    >> address (illegal character)
    >> so, simply replace the bad character with an X and re-send the message
    >> The message will go out and you will most likely get a bounce back
    >> statiing that there is no fredXburns at the hisisp.com, which can
    >> serve to remind you that you need to get a correction from the
    >> customer (if you cant remember the corrrect one)
    >>
    >> 'Bad' addresses wont cause TB to stop sending, it will attempt to send
    >> it as long as its the proper format, even if the address doesnt exist.
    >> So the easiest solution in never to enter an address that isnt in the
    >> proper format or contains illegal characters.

    > 1. No offense, but by saying don't enter bad addresses in the first
    > place is a no brainer. I mean who would intentionally enter a bad
    > address unless a sucker for punishment. The address is valid and also in
    > a valid format. I have double checked it and there is nothing wrong with
    > the format just that it won't go anywhere.
    >
    > 2. Even though I deleted the address out of the group, somehow TB still
    > comes up with that address as a problem. I used 'search' and can now no
    > longer find that address in the group or general address book.
    >
    > I am not here to muddy the water I just can't explain this behaviour by TB.

    If it is in a valid format, then it wouldnt be rejected

    Trash the group list and re-do it. Its corrupt.
    Moz Champion, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    > If it is in a valid format, then it wouldnt be rejected
    >
    > Trash the group list and re-do it. Its corrupt.

    OK Moz, I did exactly what you said making sure the one that was
    originally rejected didn't go in the list. However, this new list is
    having the same problem. I checked this new address and, yes, it is in
    the right format as well! I am not saying that the address is still good
    because obviously it isn't!

    Look, I am no fan of Outlook, but I have to say I prefer how Outlook
    handled this type of situation. First off, it would just send the list
    and then within a few minutes I would get a reject message back in my
    inbox telling the name and address that was rejected. I liked this
    method of doing things because it didn't prevent my other messages from
    getting sent while I tried to correct the problem with the bad one.

    The only other thing different about my system is that I recently
    upgraded it to Windows XP Pro SP 2
    I don't know if this would have anything to do with it or not.

    I am open to any other suggestions you might have.
    Paul, Mar 29, 2005
  7. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>
    >>> Moz Champion wrote:

    >> If it is in a valid format, then it wouldnt be rejected
    >>
    >> Trash the group list and re-do it. Its corrupt.

    > OK Moz, I did exactly what you said making sure the one that was
    > originally rejected didn't go in the list. However, this new list is
    > having the same problem. I checked this new address and, yes, it is in
    > the right format as well! I am not saying that the address is still good
    > because obviously it isn't!
    >
    > Look, I am no fan of Outlook, but I have to say I prefer how Outlook
    > handled this type of situation. First off, it would just send the list
    > and then within a few minutes I would get a reject message back in my
    > inbox telling the name and address that was rejected. I liked this
    > method of doing things because it didn't prevent my other messages from
    > getting sent while I tried to correct the problem with the bad one.
    >
    > The only other thing different about my system is that I recently
    > upgraded it to Windows XP Pro SP 2
    > I don't know if this would have anything to do with it or not.
    >
    > I am open to any other suggestions you might have.

    Update!

    I was finally able to go back and delete the names it found that were
    bad and then send the list OK. However, what was said about TB sending
    the list anyway even if the address is wrong as long as in the right
    format is simply not true.

    It appears to me that TB verifies all the addresses before sending and
    any bad ones must be taken out before it will send the list. I can get
    use to that just a small bit more work that is all.

    I cannot be the OS I am using because I backed up the address book and
    tried it on my other machine which uses Mandrake Linux 10.1 and the same
    version of TB. I had exactly the same results as this machine!

    I have now corrected the problem, but just keep in mind that if using TB
    all the addresses in the list must be correct or none of them are sent.

    That's my 2 cents!
    Paul, Mar 29, 2005
  8. Paul

    Moz Champion Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    >>> If it is in a valid format, then it wouldnt be rejected
    >>>
    >>> Trash the group list and re-do it. Its corrupt.

    >> OK Moz, I did exactly what you said making sure the one that was
    >> originally rejected didn't go in the list. However, this new list is
    >> having the same problem. I checked this new address and, yes, it is in
    >> the right format as well! I am not saying that the address is still
    >> good because obviously it isn't!
    >>
    >> Look, I am no fan of Outlook, but I have to say I prefer how Outlook
    >> handled this type of situation. First off, it would just send the list
    >> and then within a few minutes I would get a reject message back in my
    >> inbox telling the name and address that was rejected. I liked this
    >> method of doing things because it didn't prevent my other messages
    >> from getting sent while I tried to correct the problem with the bad one.
    >>
    >> The only other thing different about my system is that I recently
    >> upgraded it to Windows XP Pro SP 2
    >> I don't know if this would have anything to do with it or not.
    >>
    >> I am open to any other suggestions you might have.

    > Update!
    >
    > I was finally able to go back and delete the names it found that were
    > bad and then send the list OK. However, what was said about TB sending
    > the list anyway even if the address is wrong as long as in the right
    > format is simply not true.
    >
    > It appears to me that TB verifies all the addresses before sending and
    > any bad ones must be taken out before it will send the list. I can get
    > use to that just a small bit more work that is all.
    >
    > I cannot be the OS I am using because I backed up the address book and
    > tried it on my other machine which uses Mandrake Linux 10.1 and the same
    > version of TB. I had exactly the same results as this machine!
    >
    > I have now corrected the problem, but just keep in mind that if using TB
    > all the addresses in the list must be correct or none of them are sent.
    >
    > That's my 2 cents!

    Well, what was the problem then?
    Moz Champion, Mar 29, 2005