ThunderBird Grey box a bottom of GUI

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Kneewax, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Kneewax

    Kneewax Guest

    Hi,

    Still getting to grips with Tbird 0.7, and am very impressed. However I
    have a problem with the GUI, sometime today I went to use the program
    and noticed a large grey area had appeared at the bottom of the
    interface. I am unable to click in the area, the little red ^ sign does
    nothing and I cannot find a way of turning it off. I have recently
    installed the following extensions:

    Calendar
    ShellBlock 1.0

    I also use Firefox 0.9.2 and have download the SunBird beta to compare
    with Calendar.

    Follow this link to view a screen shot of the anomaly:

    http://www.alleycats.plus.com/tbird.jpg

    Thanx

    Kneewax

    History is an illusion caused by the passage of time.
    Time is an illusion caused by the passage of History
    - Wave Harmonic Theory of
    Historical Perception (DNA)

    Make my 'cold' a 'hot' to mail me!
    Kneewax, Jul 19, 2004

  2. Kneewax

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Kneewax wrote:
    > Still getting to grips with Tbird 0.7, and am very impressed. However I
    > have a problem with the GUI, sometime today I went to use the program
    > and noticed a large grey area had appeared at the bottom of the
    > interface. I am unable to click in the area, the little red ^ sign does
    > nothing and I cannot find a way of turning it off. I have recently
    > installed the following extensions:
    >
    > Calendar
    > ShellBlock 1.0
    >
    > I also use Firefox 0.9.2 and have download the SunBird beta to compare
    > with Calendar.
    >
    > Follow this link to view a screen shot of the anomaly:
    >
    > http://www.alleycats.plus.com/tbird.jpg

    I experienced this a while ago. ISTR it was solved by simply rebooting.
    Either that, or by uninstalling TB, backing up and deleting my
    profiles, then reinstalling

    I had Calendar installed at the time (still have, actually, but it
    doesn't work). I don't think it was anything to do with the extension.
    I think it was caused by my deleting a TB file (for testing purposes).
    Reinstating the file didn't fix it.

    Danny Colyer, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Kneewax

    Kneewax Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > Kneewax wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >

    > I experienced this a while ago. ISTR it was solved by simply rebooting.
    > Either that, or by uninstalling TB, backing up and deleting my
    > profiles, then reinstalling
    >
    > I had Calendar installed at the time (still have, actually, but it
    > doesn't work). I don't think it was anything to do with the extension.
    > I think it was caused by my deleting a TB file (for testing purposes).
    > Reinstating the file didn't fix it.

    Thanks for that, I tried rebooting when the box irst appeared. I will
    try a reinstall (was hoping to avoid this!) can you tell me where the
    profile information is stored so I can back it up first...?

    Kneewax, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Kneewax

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Kneewax asked:
    > can you tell me where the
    > profile information is stored so I can back it up first...?

    In Windows 2000, assuming Windows is installed on your C drive and you
    log on as Administrator, it's in c:\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Thunderbird\

    Obviously if you're using a different username then the path will change
    accordingly. Application Data is by default a hidden directory, so
    you'll need to set Windows to view hidden folders. At the risk of
    teaching Granny to suck eggs, in Windows Explorer click Tools | Folder
    Options | View and select "Show hidden files and folders".

    There's also a package called MozBackup that you can download from
    <URL:http://www.mrtech.com/news/messages/3792.html>. It's supposedly
    very good, but I haven't actually got round to installing it yet and I
    don't know if it backs up Thunderbird data.

    Danny Colyer, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Kneewax

    Kneewax Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > Kneewax asked:
    >
    >> can you tell me where the profile information is stored so I can back
    >> it up first...?

    > In Windows 2000, assuming Windows is installed on your C drive and you
    > log on as Administrator, it's in c:\Documents and
    > Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Thunderbird\
    >
    > Obviously if you're using a different username then the path will change
    > accordingly. Application Data is by default a hidden directory, so
    > you'll need to set Windows to view hidden folders. At the risk of
    > teaching Granny to suck eggs, in Windows Explorer click Tools | Folder
    > Options | View and select "Show hidden files and folders".
    >
    > There's also a package called MozBackup that you can download from
    > <URL:http://www.mrtech.com/news/messages/3792.html>. It's supposedly
    > very good, but I haven't actually got round to installing it yet and I
    > don't know if it backs up Thunderbird data.

    Thanks Danny, I'll give that a go.

    Kneewax, Jul 21, 2004
  6. Kneewax

    Kneewax Guest

    Kneewax wrote:
    > Danny Colyer wrote:
    >
    >> Kneewax asked:
    >>
    >>> can you tell me where the profile information is stored so I can back
    >>> it up first...?

    >> In Windows 2000, assuming Windows is installed on your C drive and you
    >> log on as Administrator, it's in c:\Documents and
    >> Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Thunderbird\
    >>
    >> Obviously if you're using a different username then the path will
    >> change accordingly. Application Data is by default a hidden
    >> directory, so you'll need to set Windows to view hidden folders. At
    >> the risk of teaching Granny to suck eggs, in Windows Explorer click
    >> Tools | Folder Options | View and select "Show hidden files and folders".
    >>
    >> There's also a package called MozBackup that you can download from
    >> <URL:http://www.mrtech.com/news/messages/3792.html>. It's supposedly
    >> very good, but I haven't actually got round to installing it yet and I
    >> don't know if it backs up Thunderbird data.
    >>

    > Thanks Danny, I'll give that a go.
    >
    > Kneewax

    Well, Mr Tech's wee application just crashed on my system, but I moved
    the profile folder in the old fashioned way, uninstalled, rebooted,
    re-installed copied the folder back and hey presto all is sweetness and
    light again! I am amazed though, even my installed extensions were
    restored when I copied the porfile back! Wouldn't get that in M$
    Lookout / Lookout Excess!

    Many thanks Danny, very helpful advise, much appreciated.

    Kneewax.
    Kneewax, Jul 21, 2004
  7. Kneewax

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Kneewax wrote:
    > Well, Mr Tech's wee application just crashed on my system, but I moved
    > the profile folder in the old fashioned way, uninstalled, rebooted,
    > re-installed copied the folder back and hey presto all is sweetness and
    > light again! I am amazed though, even my installed extensions were
    > restored when I copied the porfile back! Wouldn't get that in M$
    > Lookout / Lookout Excess!
    >
    > Many thanks Danny, very helpful advise, much appreciated.

    You're welcome, I'm glad it worked.

    Really it shouldn't have been necessary to remove the profiles before
    uninstalling and reinstalling (uninstalling doesn't delete the profiles
    anyway). But ISTR that I *did* have to remove them when I had that problem.

    Danny Colyer, Jul 21, 2004