    been there since the day I installed Thunderbird.
    Any ideas anyone?

    Andy J.
    Andy J., Dec 20, 2005

  2. Andy J.

    Andy Luddy Guest

    Andy J. wrote:
    > My Thunderbird (v1.0.6) running under Mandriva 10.2 frequently
    > 'forgets' the username and password of my Pipex news server. It
    > asks for both (which I tick the 'Remember with Password Manager'
    > option) but will ask again in a few days. It's only news server
    > details that have the problem, my e-mail server details have
    > been there since the day I installed Thunderbird.
    > Any ideas anyone?
    >
    > Andy J.

    I have encountered that also, but only after a failure to connect to the
    news server (usually either because my ISP has dropped my connection, or
    I've forgotten that I'm still connected through my employer's VPN, which
    disallows USENET connections). I suspect that T'bird interprets any
    failure to connect with the News server as a password authentication
    failure, and so prompts you for the username and password again.

    Andy L. (but my middle initial is "J", so I have this odd sensation that
    I'm talking to myself)
    Andy Luddy, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Andy J.

    Andy J. Guest

    Andy Luddy wrote:
    > Andy J. wrote:
    >
    >> My Thunderbird (v1.0.6) running under Mandriva 10.2 frequently
    >> 'forgets' the username and password of my Pipex news server. It
    >> asks for both (which I tick the 'Remember with Password Manager'
    >> option) but will ask again in a few days. It's only news server
    >> details that have the problem, my e-mail server details have
    >> been there since the day I installed Thunderbird.
    >> Any ideas anyone?
    >>
    >> Andy J.

    > I have encountered that also, but only after a failure to connect to the
    > news server (usually either because my ISP has dropped my connection, or
    > I've forgotten that I'm still connected through my employer's VPN, which
    > disallows USENET connections). I suspect that T'bird interprets any
    > failure to connect with the News server as a password authentication
    > failure, and so prompts you for the username and password again.
    >
    > Andy L. (but my middle initial is "J", so I have this odd sensation that
    > I'm talking to myself)

    Sounds plausible, can't say I've noticed connect failures beforehand but
    then I haven't been looking. I will from here on in.
    As for the strange feeling about talking to yourself, don't worry it
    goes away once everyone else has accepted it and stops pointing at you.

    Andy J. (Jenkins)
    Andy J., Dec 22, 2005