Thunderbird filters

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by graeme@invalid, Nov 26, 2004.

  1. Joe Kriger wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters automatically?
    > I have set several filters but I have to go Tools > Run Filters on
    > Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal, but I thought it
    > would be nice if they would run automatically like in MSOE.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Jowah

    I only run filters on one newsgroup. It does run automatically but I
    did not change any settings to get it to work. I did not even know
    about Tools\Run Filters.
    --

    So long and thanks for all the fish.

    Joe Kriger, Nov 27, 2004

  3. Joe Kriger wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters automatically?
    > I have set several filters but I have to go Tools > Run Filters on
    > Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal, but I thought it
    > would be nice if they would run automatically like in MSOE.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Jowah

    Hm, filters do run automatically here, whenever I download messages,
    they are sorted into folders by my filters.

    Could you be a little more about the behavior you are expecting, and
    what happens instead?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 27, 2004
  4. graeme@invalid

    Jowah Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Joe Kriger wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters
    >> automatically? I have set several filters but I have to go Tools >
    >> Run Filters on Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal,
    >> but I thought it would be nice if they would run automatically like in
    >> MSOE.
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >>
    >> Jowah

    > Hm, filters do run automatically here, whenever I download messages,
    > they are sorted into folders by my filters.
    >
    > Could you be a little more about the behavior you are expecting, and
    > what happens instead?
    >
    > Lee

    I'm not sure Lee. I leave thunderbird on every evening, and the only
    emails that get moved automatically are junk emails. I have 5 different
    filters defined, and none of them work unless I activate them manually.
    Thanks for your help.

    Jowah
    Jowah, Nov 27, 2004
  5. Jowah wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Joe Kriger wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters
    >>> automatically? I have set several filters but I have to go Tools >
    >>> Run Filters on Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big
    >>> deal, but I thought it would be nice if they would run automatically
    >>> like in MSOE.
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Jowah

    >> Hm, filters do run automatically here, whenever I download messages,
    >> they are sorted into folders by my filters.
    >>
    >> Could you be a little more about the behavior you are expecting, and
    >> what happens instead?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > I'm not sure Lee. I leave thunderbird on every evening, and the only
    > emails that get moved automatically are junk emails. I have 5 different
    > filters defined, and none of them work unless I activate them manually.
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Jowah

    I have filters on several email accounts. Wren new mail is downloaded,
    these filters sort the mail into folders as intended.

    Custom designed filters should take precedence over the JMC, simply
    meaning that they run first. This is handy for email lists or
    newsletters that the JMC might flag.

    Could you give an example of one of your filters and how it is set up?
    Maybe we can see what is going wrong.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 27, 2004
  6. graeme@invalid

    Jowah Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Jowah wrote:

    >>> Hm, filters do run automatically here, whenever I download messages,
    >>> they are sorted into folders by my filters.
    >>>
    >>> Could you be a little more about the behavior you are expecting, and
    >>> what happens instead?
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> I'm not sure Lee. I leave thunderbird on every evening, and the only
    >> emails that get moved automatically are junk emails. I have 5
    >> different filters defined, and none of them work unless I activate
    >> them manually. Thanks for your help.
    >>
    >> Jowah

    > I have filters on several email accounts. Wren new mail is downloaded,
    > these filters sort the mail into folders as intended.
    >
    > Custom designed filters should take precedence over the JMC, simply
    > meaning that they run first. This is handy for email lists or
    > newsletters that the JMC might flag.
    >
    > Could you give an example of one of your filters and how it is set up?
    > Maybe we can see what is going wrong.
    >
    > Lee

    My filters are very simple. I use them mostly for ebay and paypal.
    They send my various notices about auctions, always from the same 3 or 4
    addresses so I set up a few very simple filters. For example: when
    sender is move to ebay/paypal folder. I have
    several folders set up to organize my messages and that is just one of
    them. I dont know if it matters, but all of these folders were imported
    from MSOE. Thanks to everyone for your help.

    Jowah
    Jowah, Nov 27, 2004
  7. Hello,

    Joe Kriger wrote in an email dated 27/Nov/04 01:48:
    > Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters automatically?
    > I have set several filters but I have to go Tools > Run Filters on
    > Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal, but I thought it
    > would be nice if they would run automatically like in MSOE.

    If your filter are set for "Local folders", they will probably not work.
    Try setting them for the account (email address) you are receiving your
    emails to.

    Nicolas
    --
    Ad Noiseam
    www.adnoiseam.net
    Nicolas Chevreux, Nov 27, 2004
  8. graeme@invalid

    SteveG Guest

    Jowah,

    I know it's no consolation but I'm having exactly the same problem. My
    folders were imported from OE too.

    Regards
    Steve G

    SteveG, Nov 27, 2004
  9. graeme@invalid

    Jowah Guest

    SteveG <"s.goodfellow"@blueyonder dot> wrote:
    > Jowah,
    >
    > I know it's no consolation but I'm having exactly the same problem. My
    > folders were imported from OE too.
    >
    > Regards
    > Steve G
    >
    > Joe Kriger wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters
    >> automatically? I have set several filters but I have to go Tools >
    >> Run Filters on Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal,
    >> but I thought it would be nice if they would run automatically like in
    >> MSOE.
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >>
    >> Jowah

    It must be the OE import thing because nothing is working. I also just
    noticed that I have two main profiles. In settings, one is listed with
    no settings dialogue and t-bird says, "this is a special acct. there
    are no identities associated with it". And the other account, which is
    the one I use regularly, shows all the pop3 settings and so on. I guess
    I need to figure out a way to backup all my messages, so I can remove
    and replace this installation of t-bird and then I will just have to
    create all my own folders and manually import the messages.
    Jowah, Nov 27, 2004
  10. Jowah wrote:
    > SteveG <"s.goodfellow"@blueyonder dot> wrote:
    >
    >> Jowah,
    >>
    >> I know it's no consolation but I'm having exactly the same problem. My
    >> folders were imported from OE too.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Steve G
    >>
    >> Joe Kriger wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters
    >>> automatically? I have set several filters but I have to go Tools >
    >>> Run Filters on Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big
    >>> deal, but I thought it would be nice if they would run automatically
    >>> like in MSOE.
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Jowah

    > It must be the OE import thing because nothing is working. I also just
    > noticed that I have two main profiles. In settings, one is listed with
    > no settings dialogue and t-bird says, "this is a special acct. there
    > are no identities associated with it". And the other account, which is
    > the one I use regularly, shows all the pop3 settings and so on. I guess
    > I need to figure out a way to backup all my messages, so I can remove
    > and replace this installation of t-bird and then I will just have to
    > create all my own folders and manually import the messages.

    Note Graeme's suggestion. Imported folders from OE are stored in Local
    Folders. Move them int the accounts own folders, and redirect the
    filters. It should work.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 27, 2004
  11. graeme@invalid

    Jowah Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Jowah wrote:
    >
    >> SteveG <"s.goodfellow"@blueyonder dot> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Jowah,
    >>>
    >>> I know it's no consolation but I'm having exactly the same problem.
    >>> My folders were imported from OE too.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Steve G

    >> It must be the OE import thing because nothing is working. I also
    >> just noticed that I have two main profiles. In settings, one is
    >> listed with no settings dialogue and t-bird says, "this is a special
    >> acct. there are no identities associated with it". And the other
    >> account, which is the one I use regularly, shows all the pop3 settings
    >> and so on. I guess I need to figure out a way to backup all my
    >> messages, so I can remove and replace this installation of t-bird and
    >> then I will just have to create all my own folders and manually import
    >> the messages.

    > Note Graeme's suggestion. Imported folders from OE are stored in Local
    > Folders. Move them int the accounts own folders, and redirect the
    > filters. It should work.
    >
    > Lee

    I fixed it finally. I backed up the Local Folders folder and my
    personal account folder, uninstalled TB, restarted, reinstalled TB, and
    dropped my old files into a new profile. Everything seems to have
    worked out. Thanks to everyone for your help.

    Jowah
    Jowah, Nov 29, 2004