    log), but there's no log. Where's the log?

    Thanks,
    SG

    shegeek72, Jun 21, 2005

  2. shegeek72

    Moz Champion Guest

    shegeek72 wrote:
    > I'm having trouble with the message filters in TB 1.0.2 (that I didn't
    > in Mozilla). I've set several filters, but they don't appear to be
    > working. For example, I have one set for the inbox of one account (main
    > account) when the subject is mortgage (match any of the following is
    > checked, though I don't think it makes a difference with one word) to
    > delete the email. However, emails with mortgage (it's spelled exactly
    > the same) in the subject are still getting through.
    >
    > Also, in the filter log I have enable filter log checked, but when I
    > click on filter log again I'm taken to the same window (enable filter
    > log), but there's no log. Where's the log?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SG

    Remember that filters are only applicable to the account they are listed
    in, not any other account.

    Depends on the exact wording of the filter

    <Subject><is>[Mortgage]

    will only catch messages that have that one word as Subject
    but
    <Subject><contains>[Mortgage] would catch any message with the word in
    the Subject

    When you click on <Filter Log> from the Message Filters Window a new
    window should slide down out of the Message Filters Bar (at the top of
    the Window).

    The log itself is the blank area below the Filter Log Checkmark (which
    you can only see in the Filter Log window)

    If your filter is not catching anything, and you say it isnt, then
    there's a good reason there are no log entries, there wasnt anything to
    log <g>

    You can check the effaciacy of a filter (if its Subject based anyway)
    simply by mailing yourself a message with the specific subject

    Moz Champion, Jun 21, 2005

  3. shegeek72

    Doug G Guest

    shegeek72 wrote:
    > I'm having trouble with the message filters in TB 1.0.2 (that I didn't
    > in Mozilla). I've set several filters, but they don't appear to be
    > working. For example, I have one set for the inbox of one account (main
    > account) when the subject is mortgage (match any of the following is
    > checked, though I don't think it makes a difference with one word) to
    > delete the email. However, emails with mortgage (it's spelled exactly
    > the same) in the subject are still getting through.
    >
    > Also, in the filter log I have enable filter log checked, but when I
    > click on filter log again I'm taken to the same window (enable filter
    > log), but there's no log. Where's the log?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SG

    Does the filter look like this?

    (*) Match any of the following
    Subject Contains mortgage
    [X] Delete the message

    While TB is closed, try replacing the msgFilterRules.dat file in its
    profile with the msgFilterRules.dat file from your Mozilla profile.

    Try using your mouse to resize the Filter Log window.

    Doug G, Jun 21, 2005
  4. shegeek72

    Ed Mullen Guest

    shegeek72 wrote:

    > I'm having trouble with the message filters in TB 1.0.2 (that I didn't
    > in Mozilla). I've set several filters, but they don't appear to be
    > working. For example, I have one set for the inbox of one account (main
    > account) when the subject is mortgage (match any of the following is
    > checked, though I don't think it makes a difference with one word) to
    > delete the email. However, emails with mortgage (it's spelled exactly
    > the same) in the subject are still getting through.
    >
    > Also, in the filter log I have enable filter log checked, but when I
    > click on filter log again I'm taken to the same window (enable filter
    > log), but there's no log. Where's the log?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SG

    It may be that another filter higher up in the hierarchy is acting on
    those messages before the other one can.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jun 21, 2005
  5. shegeek72

    shegeek72 Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:> you can only see in the Filter Log window)

    > If your filter is not catching anything, and you say it isnt, then
    > there's a good reason there are no log entries, there wasnt anything to
    > log <g>
    >
    > You can check the effaciacy of a filter (if its Subject based anyway)
    > simply by mailing yourself a message with the specific subject

    I took your advice and sent a test email with mortgage in the subject
    from another account and it was deleted, so the filter is working.
    Though I still can't get the filter log to open in TB.

    I found the filter log file (filterlog.html), opened it in FF and there
    are many entries, including the test email. However, the entries
    themselves have changed since migrating from mozilla to TB. For
    example, the entries from mozilla look like this example:

    Applied filter "netpanel" to message from TheNetPanel
    <> - SPAM: Christian? Single? We have the
    solution. at 2005-03-02 21:47:11 Action = Delete

    But the entries after migrating to TB look like this:

    Applied filter "mortgage" to message from - at 1969-12-31 16:00:00
    Action = Delete

    In fact, all the entries since migrating to TB have the same timestamp:
    1969-12-31 16:00:00

    Unless TB is able to go back in time, it looks like this could be
    causing the filter log viewing problem. :p

    SG

    shegeek72, Jun 25, 2005
  6. shegeek72

    Moz Champion Guest

    shegeek72 wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:> you can only see in the Filter Log window)
    >

    >>If your filter is not catching anything, and you say it isnt, then
    >>there's a good reason there are no log entries, there wasnt anything to
    >>log <g>
    >>
    >>You can check the effaciacy of a filter (if its Subject based anyway)
    >>simply by mailing yourself a message with the specific subject

    > I took your advice and sent a test email with mortgage in the subject
    > from another account and it was deleted, so the filter is working.
    > Though I still can't get the filter log to open in TB.
    >
    > I found the filter log file (filterlog.html), opened it in FF and there
    > are many entries, including the test email. However, the entries
    > themselves have changed since migrating from mozilla to TB. For
    > example, the entries from mozilla look like this example:
    >
    > Applied filter "netpanel" to message from TheNetPanel
    > <> - SPAM: Christian? Single? We have the
    > solution. at 2005-03-02 21:47:11 Action = Delete
    >
    > But the entries after migrating to TB look like this:
    >
    > Applied filter "mortgage" to message from - at 1969-12-31 16:00:00
    > Action = Delete
    >
    > In fact, all the entries since migrating to TB have the same timestamp:
    > 1969-12-31 16:00:00
    >
    > Unless TB is able to go back in time, it looks like this could be
    > causing the filter log viewing problem. :p
    >
    > SG

    I disagree with having filters automatically delete messages. Especially
    if you havent verified they are working correctly ! <g>

    use <move to folder>, even move to trash if you wish, and see if the
    logs work then.

    Moz Champion, Jun 27, 2005
  7. shegeek72

    shegeek72 Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > use <move to folder>, even move to trash if you wish, and see if the
    > logs work then.

    The delete command sends the emails to the Trash folder.

    SG

    shegeek72, Jun 28, 2005
  8. shegeek72

    Moz Champion Guest

    shegeek72 wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >

    >>use <move to folder>, even move to trash if you wish, and see if the
    >>logs work then.

    > The delete command sends the emails to the Trash folder.
    >
    > SG

    Since your editing/snipping removed all the pertinant details from the
    mesage its impossible for me to comment at all.

    The problem may be familiar to you, it isnt to others. You may have read
    the thread in order as it was posted, my involvement is that I only read
    the unread messages, I simply dont have time to re-read the entire
    thread, message by message to attempt to figure out all the details.

    I dont have a clue what you are talking about, it seems to be something
    I said but without the context its meaningless.

    Moz Champion, Jun 29, 2005
  9. shegeek72

    Z Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > When you click on <Filter Log> from the Message Filters Window a new
    > window should slide down out of the Message Filters Bar (at the top of
    > the Window).
    >
    > The log itself is the blank area below the Filter Log Checkmark (which
    > you can only see in the Filter Log window)

    Oh, _that's_ where it is!

    That particular Filter Log window comes shrunk so that the log is not
    visible at all. You need to drag the bottom border of the window
    downward to see the log.

    FYI, IMO, that's confusing.

    Z, Jul 10, 2005
  10. shegeek72

    Moz Champion Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> When you click on <Filter Log> from the Message Filters Window a new
    >> window should slide down out of the Message Filters Bar (at the top of
    >> the Window).
    >>
    >> The log itself is the blank area below the Filter Log Checkmark (which
    >> you can only see in the Filter Log window)

    > Oh, _that's_ where it is!
    >
    > That particular Filter Log window comes shrunk so that the log is not
    > visible at all. You need to drag the bottom border of the window
    > downward to see the log.
    >
    > FYI, IMO, that's confusing.

    Thats strange, the default setting for the log window is included in the
    program, so unless you were using a test build or someone adjusted the
    window size, that couldnt occur

    Moz Champion, Jul 11, 2005