Thunderbird email sending keeps timeing out

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Adam, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Hi I am trying to send an email with 4 photos in. I sends and gets to
    100% then my anti virus kicks in to scan the outgoing email. It seems
    the AV takes too long to scan the message so TB Times-out and says it
    cant send. Is there a way to make TB wait longer to give the AV time to
    scan?

    If I make separate emails with say two pics in then it goes through but
    this is far more time consuming and would prefer to limit the amount of
    emails sent.

    I use:

    Windows XP SP2
    Memory: 800Mb
    AV - PC Cillon 14 Internet Suite
    Connection: 6Mb Connect wireless through router from my Laptop

    Hope that's all you need. Many thanks

    Adam

    Adam, Jul 17, 2006

  2. Adam wrote:
    > Hi I am trying to send an email with 4 photos in. I sends and gets to
    > 100% then my anti virus kicks in to scan the outgoing email. It seems
    > the AV takes too long to scan the message so TB Times-out and says it
    > cant send. Is there a way to make TB wait longer to give the AV time to
    > scan?
    >
    > If I make separate emails with say two pics in then it goes through but
    > this is far more time consuming and would prefer to limit the amount of
    > emails sent.
    >
    > I use:
    >
    > Windows XP SP2
    > Memory: 800Mb
    > AV - PC Cillon 14 Internet Suite
    > Connection: 6Mb Connect wireless through router from my Laptop
    >
    > Hope that's all you need. Many thanks
    >
    > Adam

    Why? Why are you checking OUTGOING mail for viruses in the first place?
    A virus can only be in an email with an attachment. And since all
    'attachments' should be checked prior to opening, then you have already
    checked them. Checking outgoing mail makes NO Sense what-so-ever imho.
    Are you in the habit of sending other people attachments you havent
    opened yourself?

    Whats the point of checking outgoing email? Are other people suppossed
    to trust you more because of it? Do YOU trust implicitly email you get
    if it says 'checked by xxxx xxxx" (where x is an AV program)? If you
    dont trust such (and you shouldnt) why would you expect anyone else to
    trust your check?

    You do the world a favour by keeping your computer virus free, and you
    do that by checking INCOMING mail (with attachments), not the stuff you
    are sending.

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 17, 2006

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 17, 2006
  4. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Adam wrote:
    >> Hi I am trying to send an email with 4 photos in. I sends and gets to
    >> 100% then my anti virus kicks in to scan the outgoing email. It seems
    >> the AV takes too long to scan the message so TB Times-out and says it
    >> cant send. Is there a way to make TB wait longer to give the AV time
    >> to scan?
    >>
    >> If I make separate emails with say two pics in then it goes through
    >> but this is far more time consuming and would prefer to limit the
    >> amount of emails sent.
    >>
    >> I use:
    >>
    >> Windows XP SP2
    >> Memory: 800Mb
    >> AV - PC Cillon 14 Internet Suite
    >> Connection: 6Mb Connect wireless through router from my Laptop
    >>
    >> Hope that's all you need. Many thanks
    >>
    >> Adam

    > Why? Why are you checking OUTGOING mail for viruses in the first place?
    > A virus can only be in an email with an attachment. And since all
    > 'attachments' should be checked prior to opening, then you have
    > already checked them. Checking outgoing mail makes NO Sense
    > what-so-ever imho.
    > Are you in the habit of sending other people attachments you havent
    > opened yourself?
    >
    > Whats the point of checking outgoing email? Are other people suppossed
    > to trust you more because of it? Do YOU trust implicitly email you get
    > if it says 'checked by xxxx xxxx" (where x is an AV program)? If you
    > dont trust such (and you shouldnt) why would you expect anyone else to
    > trust your check?
    >
    > You do the world a favour by keeping your computer virus free, and you
    > do that by checking INCOMING mail (with attachments), not the stuff
    > you are sending.

    Thanks for your reply which I understand. Its a new AV program which had
    the option enabled by default. I have now found the option and disabled
    it. Forgive me for being over-protective.

    The whole world isn't as clued up as you and reading many of your
    replies you seem to BLAST people for asking a simple question which to
    YOU might seem a stupid or rhetorical question but to the average
    computer user - IS NOT!

    I have read your replies for quite some time now. You used to be POLITE
    and helpful. Now you just DAMN RUDE but still occasionally helpful. Get
    the chip off your shoulders and try be a bit more polite. It's not hard
    really. I don't mean this to be rude or abrupt but that style of writing
    was uncalled for!

    Could you not have just said something like "It's not necessary to scan
    outgoing mail as long as you check incoming and scan your machine
    regularly?"

    Adam, Jul 17, 2006
  5. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Adam, Jul 17, 2006
  6. Adam

    gwtc Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >>Adam wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi I am trying to send an email with 4 photos in. I sends and gets to
    >>>100% then my anti virus kicks in to scan the outgoing email. It seems
    >>>the AV takes too long to scan the message so TB Times-out and says it
    >>>cant send. Is there a way to make TB wait longer to give the AV time
    >>>to scan?
    >>>
    >>>If I make separate emails with say two pics in then it goes through
    >>>but this is far more time consuming and would prefer to limit the
    >>>amount of emails sent.
    >>>
    >>>I use:
    >>>
    >>>Windows XP SP2
    >>>Memory: 800Mb
    >>>AV - PC Cillon 14 Internet Suite
    >>>Connection: 6Mb Connect wireless through router from my Laptop
    >>>
    >>>Hope that's all you need. Many thanks
    >>>
    >>>Adam

    >>Why? Why are you checking OUTGOING mail for viruses in the first place?
    >>A virus can only be in an email with an attachment. And since all
    >>'attachments' should be checked prior to opening, then you have
    >>already checked them. Checking outgoing mail makes NO Sense
    >>what-so-ever imho.
    >>Are you in the habit of sending other people attachments you havent
    >>opened yourself?
    >>
    >>Whats the point of checking outgoing email? Are other people suppossed
    >>to trust you more because of it? Do YOU trust implicitly email you get
    >>if it says 'checked by xxxx xxxx" (where x is an AV program)? If you
    >>dont trust such (and you shouldnt) why would you expect anyone else to
    >>trust your check?
    >>
    >>You do the world a favour by keeping your computer virus free, and you
    >>do that by checking INCOMING mail (with attachments), not the stuff
    >>you are sending.

    > Thanks for your reply which I understand. Its a new AV program which had
    > the option enabled by default. I have now found the option and disabled
    > it. Forgive me for being over-protective.
    >
    > The whole world isn't as clued up as you and reading many of your
    > replies you seem to BLAST people for asking a simple question which to
    > YOU might seem a stupid or rhetorical question but to the average
    > computer user - IS NOT!
    >
    > I have read your replies for quite some time now. You used to be POLITE
    > and helpful. Now you just DAMN RUDE but still occasionally helpful. Get
    > the chip off your shoulders and try be a bit more polite. It's not hard
    > really. I don't mean this to be rude or abrupt but that style of writing
    > was uncalled for!
    >
    > Could you not have just said something like "It's not necessary to scan
    > outgoing mail as long as you check incoming and scan your machine
    > regularly?"

    The reason Dan is the way he is is because he's all doped up. :) I
    mean he recently had heart problems. Besides, if Dan didn't blast
    you, I would have. Dan just beat me to it.

    --
    So, You Think You Know Everything?

    Did you know that there are only four words in the English language
    which end in "dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

    gwtc, Jul 17, 2006
  7. Adam

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jul 17, 2006
  8. Adam

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Adam wrote:
    > Hi I am trying to send an email with 4 photos in. I sends and gets to
    > 100% then my anti virus kicks in to scan the outgoing email. It seems
    > the AV takes too long to scan the message so TB Times-out and says it
    > cant send. Is there a way to make TB wait longer to give the AV time to
    > scan?

    Are you sure it's the AV causing the problem?

    > If I make separate emails with say two pics in then it goes through but
    > this is far more time consuming and would prefer to limit the amount of
    > emails sent.

    How big are the files you are sending (separately and individually).
    Perhaps you are exceeding the max allowed size to email? This may be
    set by your smtp server and beyond your control.

    --
    Troy Piggins : "My karma just ran over my dogma"
    ,-o

    Troy Piggins, Jul 18, 2006
  9. Adam

    Troy Piggins Guest

    Troy Piggins, Jul 18, 2006
  10. Adam

    Adam Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Adam wrote:
    >> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> Why? Why are you checking OUTGOING mail for viruses in the first place?
    >>> A virus can only be in an email with an attachment. And since all
    >>> 'attachments' should be checked prior to opening, then you have
    >>> already checked them. Checking outgoing mail makes NO Sense
    >>> what-so-ever imho.
    >>> Are you in the habit of sending other people attachments you havent
    >>> opened yourself?
    >>>
    >>> Whats the point of checking outgoing email? Are other people
    >>> suppossed to trust you more because of it? Do YOU trust implicitly
    >>> email you get if it says 'checked by xxxx xxxx" (where x is an AV
    >>> program)? If you dont trust such (and you shouldnt) why would you
    >>> expect anyone else to trust your check?
    >>>
    >>> You do the world a favour by keeping your computer virus free, and
    >>> you do that by checking INCOMING mail (with attachments), not the
    >>> stuff you are sending.

    >> Thanks for your reply which I understand. Its a new AV program which
    >> had the option enabled by default. I have now found the option and
    >> disabled it. Forgive me for being over-protective.
    >>
    >> The whole world isn't as clued up as you and reading many of your
    >> replies you seem to BLAST people for asking a simple question which
    >> to YOU might seem a stupid or rhetorical question but to the average
    >> computer user - IS NOT!
    >>
    >> I have read your replies for quite some time now. You used to be
    >> POLITE and helpful. Now you just DAMN RUDE but still occasionally
    >> helpful. Get the chip off your shoulders and try be a bit more
    >> polite. It's not hard really. I don't mean this to be rude or abrupt
    >> but that style of writing was uncalled for!
    >>
    >> Could you not have just said something like "It's not necessary to
    >> scan outgoing mail as long as you check incoming and scan your
    >> machine regularly?"

    > The reason Dan is the way he is is because he's all doped up. :) I
    > mean he recently had heart problems. Besides, if Dan didn't blast
    > you, I would have. Dan just beat me to it.

    I am quite aware Dan had a Quadruple Heart Bypass and I was one of the
    people that sent well wishes. Anyway you both still haven't given me any
    information to my actual question so I wont bother. Get well soon Dan

    Adam, Jul 18, 2006
  11. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Adam, Jul 18, 2006
  12. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Troy Piggins wrote:

    * Adam wrote:

    Hi I am trying to send an email with 4 photos in. I sends and gets to 100% then my anti virus kicks in to scan the outgoing email. It seems the AV takes too long to scan the message so TB Times-out and says it cant send. Is there a way to make TB wait longer to give the AV time to scan?

    Are you sure it's the AV causing the problem?

    After a bit of playing I am sure now yes because I disabled the AV and the email (2.4Mb) sent fine in one email. Although Dan and GWTC say I don't need to scan outgoing mail, there is nothing wrong with being over protective is there?

    Adam, Jul 18, 2006
  14. Adam

    gwtc Guest

    Adam wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Adam wrote:

    >>>Thanks for your reply which I understand. Its a new AV program which
    >>>had the option enabled by default. I have now found the option and
    >>>disabled it. Forgive me for being over-protective.
    >>>
    >>>The whole world isn't as clued up as you and reading many of your
    >>>replies you seem to BLAST people for asking a simple question which
    >>>to YOU might seem a stupid or rhetorical question but to the average
    >>>computer user - IS NOT!
    >>>
    >>>I have read your replies for quite some time now. You used to be
    >>>POLITE and helpful. Now you just DAMN RUDE but still occasionally
    >>>helpful. Get the chip off your shoulders and try be a bit more
    >>>polite. It's not hard really. I don't mean this to be rude or abrupt
    >>>but that style of writing was uncalled for!
    >>>
    >>>Could you not have just said something like "It's not necessary to
    >>>scan outgoing mail as long as you check incoming and scan your
    >>>machine regularly?"

    >>The reason Dan is the way he is is because he's all doped up. :) I
    >>mean he recently had heart problems. Besides, if Dan didn't blast
    >>you, I would have. Dan just beat me to it.
    >>

    > I am quite aware Dan had a Quadruple Heart Bypass and I was one of the
    > people that sent well wishes. Anyway you both still haven't given me any
    > information to my actual question so I wont bother. Get well soon Dan

    we have, turn off the scanning of out going messages.

    --
    So, You Think You Know Everything?

    Did you know that the up and coming Mercedes-Benz Bionic Car will be
    based on the sleekness and stylish of a fish in water -- the
    streamline contours of a box fish that is?

    gwtc, Jul 18, 2006
  15. Adam

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jul 18, 2006