    Any hints or tips would be great!

    Thanks

    Dave

    Dave, Mar 15, 2008

  2. Dave

    Doug G Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I setup my 85 year old fathers computer with thunderbird a year or so
    > ago and all has been fine until recently. The panes have changed size
    > and reading emails and attachments is pretty much useless.
    > I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, still the same.
    > Is there a way to totally uninstall then reinstall and start fresh?
    > I'd rather not loose all the old emails and folders, but something needs
    > to be done.
    > Any hints or tips would be great!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    Try dragging the edges of the panes to the desired position.

    Doug G, Mar 15, 2008

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I setup my 85 year old fathers computer with thunderbird a year or so
    >> ago and all has been fine until recently. The panes have changed size
    >> and reading emails and attachments is pretty much useless.
    >> I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, still the same.
    >> Is there a way to totally uninstall then reinstall and start fresh?
    >> I'd rather not loose all the old emails and folders, but something
    >> needs to be done.
    >> Any hints or tips would be great!
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Dave

    > Try dragging the edges of the panes to the desired position.

    I did with no avail.
    There's a pane under where the attachments are displayed which takes up
    almost 25% of the window. It's fixed and will not change size or be
    removed. It's almost like it's part of the frame of the client.

    Dave

    Dave, Mar 15, 2008
  4. Dave wrote:

    > Doug G wrote:
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I setup my 85 year old fathers computer with thunderbird a year or so
    >>> ago and all has been fine until recently. The panes have changed size
    >>> and reading emails and attachments is pretty much useless.
    >>> I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, still the same.
    >>> Is there a way to totally uninstall then reinstall and start fresh?
    >>> I'd rather not loose all the old emails and folders, but something
    >>> needs to be done.
    >>> Any hints or tips would be great!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Dave

    >> Try dragging the edges of the panes to the desired position.

    > I did with no avail.
    > There's a pane under where the attachments are displayed which takes up
    > almost 25% of the window. It's fixed and will not change size or be
    > removed. It's almost like it's part of the frame of the client.
    >
    > Dave

    With TB closed, navigate to your profile folder. Remove or rename the
    file localstore.rdf. Restart TB.

    Does this help?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 15, 2008
  5. Dave wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I setup my 85 year old fathers computer with thunderbird a year or so
    > ago and all has been fine until recently. The panes have changed size
    > and reading emails and attachments is pretty much useless.
    > I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, still the same.
    > Is there a way to totally uninstall then reinstall and start fresh?
    > I'd rather not loose all the old emails and folders, but something needs
    > to be done.
    > Any hints or tips would be great!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    all your settings, prefs, mail, passwords, etc, are stored
    in an area called the Thunderbird Profile. This profile is
    separate from the program. When you uninstall the program,
    all you're doing is removing the program, the profile is not
    touched.

    To find your profile, you can read this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate

    but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

    after you've found the profile, do what Lee suggested. When
    you reopen the program, you will have to set everything to
    your liking again.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 16, 2008
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I setup my 85 year old fathers computer with thunderbird a year or so
    >> ago and all has been fine until recently. The panes have changed size
    >> and reading emails and attachments is pretty much useless.
    >> I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, still the same.
    >> Is there a way to totally uninstall then reinstall and start fresh?
    >> I'd rather not loose all the old emails and folders, but something
    >> needs to be done.
    >> Any hints or tips would be great!
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Dave

    > all your settings, prefs, mail, passwords, etc, are stored in an area
    > called the Thunderbird Profile. This profile is separate from the
    > program. When you uninstall the program, all you're doing is removing
    > the program, the profile is not touched.
    >
    > To find your profile, you can read this:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate
    >
    > but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx
    >

    > after you've found the profile, do what Lee suggested. When you reopen
    > the program, you will have to set everything to your liking again.

    Lee and Peter,

    I'll give it a try, I'll be at his house on Saturday.
    Thanks!!!!

    Dave

    Dave, Mar 16, 2008