    with them for awhile. Is this Thunderbird's doing and is there any way
    around it? I tried posting this now to more than one group and it is
    not working.

    Tim Howard, Feb 3, 2007

  2. Tim Howard

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:00:51 -0800, in message <bGUwh.214639$>,
    Tim Howard wrote:

    > I just recently set up Thunderbird. When responding to a post on a
    > newsgroup, I got an error message saying that I could only post to one
    > newsgroup at a time.

    Thunderbird certainly allows cross-posting. See this message for an example.

    Do you know how many groups was your message being posted to?
    And does your ISP's news server carry all of these groups?

    > If I am wrong to blame Thunderbird, let me say
    > that my ISP and newsserver do allow multiple posts because I have been
    > with them for awhile.

    Now I am confused. Are you multi-posting, or are you cross-posting?
    Multiple posts are where you post the message multiple times, each time
    to one group. Each post will have only one newsgroup in the header.
    Cross-posts are where you post the message once, with multiple
    newsgroups in the header.

    > Is this Thunderbird's doing and is there any way
    > around it?

    I don't believe that it is Thunderbird's doing.
    This message is cross-posted with Thunderbird.

    --
    Cheers
    Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox, Feb 3, 2007

  3. Tim Howard wrote:
    > I just recently set up Thunderbird. When responding to a post on a
    > newsgroup, I got an error message saying that I could only post to one
    > newsgroup at a time. If I am wrong to blame Thunderbird, let me say
    > that my ISP and newsserver do allow multiple posts because I have been
    > with them for awhile. Is this Thunderbird's doing and is there any way
    > around it? I tried posting this now to more than one group and it is
    > not working.

    I wish Thunderbird had that feature, but alas it doesnt.

    That is a function of the news server you were on, not Thunderbird

    Please do not Crosspost

    Moz Champion (Dan), Feb 3, 2007
  4. Tim Howard

    Makhno Guest

    Makhno, Feb 3, 2007
  5. Makhno wrote:

    >> Please do not Crosspost

    > If appropriate, one should cross-post
    >
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html
    > "Why Crosspost"
    >
    > Problem has been that people do not reply to cross-posts into a single
    > group.

    I would not have as much of a problem with crossposting as I do if
    people would, 1) make note of the crosspost in the body of the message,
    and 2) set a followup for the desired newsgroup in which discussion is
    to take place. If everyone did this, it would not be such an issue.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 4, 2007
  6. Tim Howard

    sticks Guest

    Makhno wrote:
    >> Please do not Crosspost

    > If appropriate, one should cross-post

    No.

    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html
    > "Why Crosspost"

    His opinion. Definitely not the consensus here.

    > Problem has been that people do not reply to cross-posts into a single
    > group.

    No, problem is usenet does not work like most people would have liked.
    If you crosspost, you bring together people who quite often don't like
    each other or play nice together. Flame wars erupt. Insults are
    common. Threads go more topical in one group than the other, often for
    eons. Spamming has gotten so bad, a large percentage of people mark
    threads read if there is a comma in groups header.

    The only one crossposting helps is the OP. Easier for him/her.
    Crossposting sucks.

    sticks, Feb 4, 2007
  7. On 2007-02-03, Makhno <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >> Please do not Crosspost

    > If appropriate, one should cross-post
    >
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html
    > "Why Crosspost"
    >
    > Problem has been that people do not reply to cross-posts into a single
    > group.

    Crossposting (posting a message in multiple groups with the same
    Message-ID) to a limited number of pertinent groups is acceptable, as
    once read. properly designed newsreader software will mark the message
    as "read" in all groups to which it was crossposted. What is
    objectionable is *multiposting* -- posting identical messages in
    multiple groups but with a different Message-ID in each group. This
    breaks proper newsreader functionality and requires the user to
    individually mark each instance of the message as "read" in each group
    in which it appears. Spammers like to do this to increase exposure to
    their messages, so don't do it unless you want to be identified with
    spammers.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Feb 4, 2007
  8. On 2007-02-04, sticks <> wrote:

    > Spamming has gotten so bad, a large percentage of people mark
    > threads read if there is a comma in groups header.

    Crossposting to a limited number of pertinent groups is appropriate.
    Filter on multiple commas instead; e.g. dump anything with more than,
    say, 5 commas in the Newsgroups: header line.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Feb 4, 2007
  9. Tim Howard

    elaich Guest

    Makhno <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:
    :

    > If appropriate, one should cross-post

    Not any more. Crossposting is almost exclusively used these days by trolls
    trying to start multi-group flame wars. Things have changed.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Feb 6, 2007
  10. Tim Howard

    Timo Salmi Guest

    Makhno <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >> Please do not Crosspost

    > If appropriate, one should cross-post
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html
    > "Why Crosspost"

    Wrong interpretation and impression. It is primarily about why one
    should not multi-post when posting to several newsgroups is for some
    reason necessary. A comparison of two techniques, not a recommendation.

    All the best, Timo

    Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    mailto: <http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/> ; FIN-65101, Finland
    Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

    Timo Salmi, Feb 6, 2007