    Keith (Southend)
    http://www.southendweather.net
    e-mail: kreh at southendweather dot net

    Keith (Southend), Mar 9, 2007

  2. Keith (Southend) wrote:
    > Never had this problem before but since I replaced my RAM (everything is
    > now ok), I find that when I go to view
    > 'microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions' and it has to download more
    > than 500 headers, the error message comes up and then it crashes. I can
    > easily start it up again, without rebooting the pc etc, and the headers
    > are all downloaded. Is this a general problem with Thunderbird that
    > requires a fix or do I have a problem at my end?

    I suspect its a problem with your setup. Does it do this with any other
    news groups, or only the one your specified?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 9, 2007

  3. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Keith (Southend) wrote:
    >> Never had this problem before but since I replaced my RAM (everything
    >> is now ok), I find that when I go to view
    >> 'microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions' and it has to download
    >> more than 500 headers, the error message comes up and then it crashes.
    >> I can easily start it up again, without rebooting the pc etc, and the
    >> headers are all downloaded. Is this a general problem with Thunderbird
    >> that requires a fix or do I have a problem at my end?

    > I suspect its a problem with your setup. Does it do this with any other
    > news groups, or only the one your specified?
    >
    > Lee

    It does it with any newsgroups, mainly when I click on the newsgroup and
    it has quite a number of headers to download. I click on it, it pauses
    and then the error message comes up, when clicking on the message
    Thunderbird blows out. Not alway and no particular newsgroup. I may just
    try uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird as I think it remembers
    all you settings?

    Thanks

    Keith (Southend), Mar 10, 2007
  4. Keith (Southend)

    Guest

    On Mar 10, 1:42 am, "Keith (Southend)" <>
    wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > > Keith (Southend) wrote:
    > >> Never had this problem before but since I replaced my RAM (everything
    > >> is now ok), I find that when I go to view
    > >> 'microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions' and it has to download
    > >> more than 500 headers, the error message comes up and then it crashes.
    > >> I can easily start it up again, without rebooting the pc etc, and the
    > >> headers are all downloaded. Is this a general problem with Thunderbird
    > >> that requires a fix or do I have a problem at my end?

    > > I suspect its a problem with your setup. Does it do this with any other
    > > news groups, or only the one your specified?

    > > Lee

    > It does it with any newsgroups, mainly when I click on the newsgroup and
    > it has quite a number of headers to download. I click on it, it pauses
    > and then the error message comes up, when clicking on the message
    > Thunderbird blows out. Not alway and no particular newsgroup. I may just
    > try uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird as I think it remembers
    > all you settings?
    >
    > Thanks

    let me give you a piece of advice. Stop uninstalling and
    reinstalling. Thats not going to work. All your settings, prefs,
    mail, newsgroups, passwords, etc, are stored in an area called the TB
    Profile. When you uninstall, all you're doing is removing the program.
    The profile is not touched. That is where your problem is -- in the
    profile.

    Try this. Click on Tools, Account Settings, select the newsgroup
    server, and under Server Settings, near the bottom right, it will say
    Local Directory. This is the location of that server. Remember that
    location. Now, remove the MS Server, by clicking on the Remove
    Account on the bottom left. Now, close TB and go to that location you
    just remembered above. Locate all references to the MS Server. There
    might be some files lingering around, such as .rc files, .dat files,
    and others. Remove them all. Once remove, restart TB and re-do the
    newsgroup server and everything else.

    Do things work now?

    , Mar 10, 2007
  5. wrote:
    > On Mar 10, 1:42 am, "Keith (Southend)" <>
    > wrote:
    >>> I suspect its a problem with your setup. Does it do this with any other
    >>> news groups, or only the one your specified?
    >>> Lee

    >> It does it with any newsgroups, mainly when I click on the newsgroup and
    >> it has quite a number of headers to download. I click on it, it pauses
    >> and then the error message comes up, when clicking on the message
    >> Thunderbird blows out. Not alway and no particular newsgroup. I may just
    >> try uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird as I think it remembers
    >> all you settings?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > let me give you a piece of advice. Stop uninstalling and
    > reinstalling. Thats not going to work. All your settings, prefs,
    > mail, newsgroups, passwords, etc, are stored in an area called the TB
    > Profile. When you uninstall, all you're doing is removing the program.
    > The profile is not touched. That is where your problem is -- in the
    > profile.
    >
    > Try this. Click on Tools, Account Settings, select the newsgroup
    > server, and under Server Settings, near the bottom right, it will say
    > Local Directory. This is the location of that server. Remember that
    > location. Now, remove the MS Server, by clicking on the Remove
    > Account on the bottom left. Now, close TB and go to that location you
    > just remembered above. Locate all references to the MS Server. There
    > might be some files lingering around, such as .rc files, .dat files,
    > and others. Remove them all. Once remove, restart TB and re-do the
    > newsgroup server and everything else.
    >
    > Do things work now?

    I hadn't un-installed anything.

    OK, I got rid of the MS news setting and associated files.

    One thing, I have two servers.
    1. news
    2. news.demon.co.uk

    Should I have both or should I delete one?

    I'll report back what happens.

    Many thanks

    Keith (Southend), Mar 10, 2007
  6. Keith (Southend) wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Mar 10, 1:42 am, "Keith (Southend)" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> It does it with any newsgroups, mainly when I click on the newsgroup and
    >>> it has quite a number of headers to download. I click on it, it pauses
    >>> and then the error message comes up, when clicking on the message
    >>> Thunderbird blows out. Not alway and no particular newsgroup. I may just
    >>> try uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird as I think it remembers
    >>> all you settings?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> let me give you a piece of advice. Stop uninstalling and
    >> reinstalling. Thats not going to work. All your settings, prefs,
    >> mail, newsgroups, passwords, etc, are stored in an area called the TB
    >> Profile. When you uninstall, all you're doing is removing the program.
    >> The profile is not touched. That is where your problem is -- in the
    >> profile.
    >>
    >> Try this. Click on Tools, Account Settings, select the newsgroup
    >> server, and under Server Settings, near the bottom right, it will say
    >> Local Directory. This is the location of that server. Remember that
    >> location. Now, remove the MS Server, by clicking on the Remove
    >> Account on the bottom left. Now, close TB and go to that location you
    >> just remembered above. Locate all references to the MS Server. There
    >> might be some files lingering around, such as .rc files, .dat files,
    >> and others. Remove them all. Once remove, restart TB and re-do the
    >> newsgroup server and everything else.
    >>
    >> Do things work now?
    >>

    > I hadn't un-installed anything.
    >
    > OK, I got rid of the MS news setting and associated files.
    >
    > One thing, I have two servers.
    > 1. news
    > 2. news.demon.co.uk
    >
    > Should I have both or should I delete one?
    >
    > I'll report back what happens.
    >
    > Many thanks

    Still crashes :-(

    Keith (Southend), Mar 11, 2007