    newsgroup post), the same way Outlook express does? This is the only
    feature I miss from the OE.

    Thanks.
    praf, Aug 21, 2006

  2. praf

    Miller Guest

    *praf* wrote on 21.08.06 23:41:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Is it possible for the Tbird to show a column with size of the email (or
    > newsgroup post), the same way Outlook express does? This is the only
    > feature I miss from the OE.

    In the threadpane, upper right corner of the column-headers.
    Left-click and choose "Size". Works AFAIK only for emails, not
    for newsgroup posts.

    HTH, Miller
    Miller, Aug 21, 2006

  3. praf

    praf Guest

    Miller wrote:
    > *praf* wrote on 21.08.06 23:41:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Is it possible for the Tbird to show a column with size of the email (or
    >> newsgroup post), the same way Outlook express does? This is the only
    >> feature I miss from the OE.

    > In the threadpane, upper right corner of the column-headers.
    > Left-click and choose "Size". Works AFAIK only for emails, not
    > for newsgroup posts.
    >
    > HTH, Miller

    Thank you, indeed for newsgroup post it only lists the number of lines.
    Good enough!
    praf, Aug 21, 2006
  4. praf wrote:
    > Miller wrote:
    >> *praf* wrote on 21.08.06 23:41:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible for the Tbird to show a column with size of the email
    >>> (or newsgroup post), the same way Outlook express does? This is the
    >>> only feature I miss from the OE.

    >> In the threadpane, upper right corner of the column-headers.
    >> Left-click and choose "Size". Works AFAIK only for emails, not
    >> for newsgroup posts.
    >>
    >> HTH, Miller

    > Thank you, indeed for newsgroup post it only lists the number of lines.
    > Good enough!

    Add the following lines to your prefs.js or user.js file:
    user_pref("news.show_size_in_lines", false);

    Or you can enter about:config in the location bar.
    Search for the preference news.show_size_in_lines.
    Modify the value to false.
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 22, 2006
  5. praf

    praf Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > praf wrote:
    >> Miller wrote:

    >>> In the threadpane, upper right corner of the column-headers.
    >>> Left-click and choose "Size". Works AFAIK only for emails, not
    >>> for newsgroup posts.
    >>>
    >>> HTH, Miller

    >> Thank you, indeed for newsgroup post it only lists the number of
    >> lines. Good enough!

    > Add the following lines to your prefs.js or user.js file:
    > user_pref("news.show_size_in_lines", false);
    >
    > Or you can enter about:config in the location bar.
    > Search for the preference news.show_size_in_lines.
    > Modify the value to false.

    wow, amazing how flexible it is! What about some other thing: toggling
    between the viewing windows (e.g. the list of subscribed newsgroups, the
    list of the posting in the last selected newsgroup) leaves the selection
    bar from the previous window very faded almost impossible to
    distinguish. Now I tried everywhere to change the color combination
    (Tbird, and system color settings). Nothing. I looked in about:config
    (thanks to you I learned something!). Is there, somewhere a description
    of the definitions included in the about:config?
    praf, Aug 22, 2006
  6. praf wrote:
    > Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >> Add the following lines to your prefs.js or user.js file:
    >> user_pref("news.show_size_in_lines", false);
    >>
    >> Or you can enter about:config in the location bar.
    >> Search for the preference news.show_size_in_lines.
    >> Modify the value to false.

    > wow, amazing how flexible it is! What about some other thing: toggling
    > between the viewing windows (e.g. the list of subscribed newsgroups, the
    > list of the posting in the last selected newsgroup) leaves the selection
    > bar from the previous window very faded almost impossible to
    > distinguish. Now I tried everywhere to change the color combination
    > (Tbird, and system color settings). Nothing. I looked in about:config
    > (thanks to you I learned something!). Is there, somewhere a description
    > of the definitions included in the about:config?

    I'm not sure quite what you are asking for - a toggle between viewing
    windows - or something about faded selections? Care to restate what you
    wish?

    As to a list of entries, or things that can be controlled via
    about:config, please see
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config
    AND
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_About:config_Entries
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 22, 2006
  7. praf

    Miller Guest

    *praf* wrote on 22.08.06 14:56:

    > What about some other thing: toggling
    > between the viewing windows (e.g. the list of subscribed newsgroups, the
    > list of the posting in the last selected newsgroup) leaves the selection
    > bar from the previous window very faded almost impossible to
    > distinguish.

    I'm not really sure, if it's what you want, but you can add these lines
    to your userChrome.css (located in your TB-Profile under Chrome):

    treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected) {
    color: #000040 ! important;
    font-weight: bold ! important;
    background-color: #EFEFD0 ! important;
    padding: 0px 2px 0px 2px ! important;
    }

    It makes your selected folders and postings appear in dark blue bold
    fonts with a light yellow background. Of course you can change the colors
    by editing the values above.
    Remember to edit the userChrome.css with TB not running.

    (If you don't know where your TB-Profile is located, maybe google for
    it or let someone else explain. I'm too lazy now to torture my English. ;-) )

    HTH, Miller
    Miller, Aug 23, 2006
  8. praf

    gwtc Guest

    Miller wrote:
    > *praf* wrote on 22.08.06 14:56:
    >
    >> What about some other thing: toggling
    >> between the viewing windows (e.g. the list of subscribed newsgroups, the
    >> list of the posting in the last selected newsgroup) leaves the selection
    >> bar from the previous window very faded almost impossible to
    >> distinguish.

    > I'm not really sure, if it's what you want, but you can add these lines
    > to your userChrome.css (located in your TB-Profile under Chrome):
    >
    > treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected) {
    > color: #000040 ! important;
    > font-weight: bold ! important;
    > background-color: #EFEFD0 ! important;
    > padding: 0px 2px 0px 2px ! important;
    > }
    >
    > It makes your selected folders and postings appear in dark blue bold
    > fonts with a light yellow background. Of course you can change the colors
    > by editing the values above.
    > Remember to edit the userChrome.css with TB not running.
    >
    > (If you don't know where your TB-Profile is located, maybe google for
    > it or let someone else explain. I'm too lazy now to torture my English. ;-) )
    >
    > HTH, Miller

    to find your profile you can read this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate

    but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

    and before you say "but I don't have a userChrome.css file," its a
    file YOU create. Do a search in your profile for
    userchrome-example.css. Use that file and besure to change its name.

    --
    Files From The Not To Swift Department . . .

    Two blonde girls were working for the city public works department.
    One would dig a hole and the other would follow behind her and fill
    the hole in. They worked up one side of the street, then down the
    other, then moved onto the next street, working furiously all day
    without rest, one girl digging a hole, the other girl filling it in
    again. As an onlooker I was amazed at their hard work, but I couldn't
    understand what they were doing. So I asked the hole digger, “I'm
    impressed by the effort the two of you are putting into your work, but
    I don't get it -- why do you dig a hole, only to have your partner
    follow behind and fill it up again?” The hole digger wiped her brow
    and sighed, “Well, I suppose it probably looks odd because we're
    normally a three-person team. But today the girl who plants the trees
    called in sick.”
    gwtc, Aug 23, 2006
  9. praf

    Miller Guest

    *gwtc* wrote on 23.08.06 06:40:
    > Miller wrote:

    >> (If you don't know where your TB-Profile is located, maybe google for
    >> it or let someone else explain. I'm too lazy now to torture my English. ;-) )

    > to find your profile you can read this:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate
    >
    > but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx
    >
    > and before you say "but I don't have a userChrome.css file," its a
    > file YOU create. Do a search in your profile for
    > userchrome-example.css. Use that file and besure to change its name.

    Thanx a lot! I knew someone would do that for me. :-D
    Just a little addition: if you also can't find a userChrome-example.css
    in your profile just create a *plaintext-file* and rename it to "userChrome.css".

    cu, Miller
    Miller, Aug 23, 2006
  10. praf

    praf Guest

    Miller wrote:
    > *gwtc* wrote on 23.08.06 06:40:
    >> Miller wrote:

    >>> (If you don't know where your TB-Profile is located, maybe google for
    >>> it or let someone else explain. I'm too lazy now to torture my English. ;-) )

    >> to find your profile you can read this:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate
    >>
    >> but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx
    >>
    >> and before you say "but I don't have a userChrome.css file," its a
    >> file YOU create. Do a search in your profile for
    >> userchrome-example.css. Use that file and besure to change its name.

    > Thanx a lot! I knew someone would do that for me. :-D
    > Just a little addition: if you also can't find a userChrome-example.css
    > in your profile just create a *plaintext-file* and rename it to "userChrome.css".
    >
    > cu, Miller

    Finally figured out that the folder (where the css file should be
    placed) is /home/~... and not in /etc/mozilla-thunderbird!
    I made a minor change in the background and now everythings seems
    satisfactory. Thank you all for the help!
    praf, Aug 23, 2006