    How does one configure Thunderbird to check for email periodically?
    I've poked around quite a bit, but I can't find a setting for it.

    Thankee.

    Jive Dadson, Apr 25, 2005

  2. Jive Dadson

    Doug G Guest

    Jive Dadson wrote:
    > How does one configure Thunderbird to check for email periodically?
    > I've poked around quite a bit, but I can't find a setting for it.
    >
    > Thankee.

    Tools -> Account Settings -> <account name> -> Server Settings, "Check
    for new messages every ___ minutes."

    Doug G, Apr 26, 2005

  3. Jive Dadson

    Jive Dadson Guest

    "Doug G" <> wrote in message
    > Jive Dadson wrote:
    > > How does one configure Thunderbird to check for email

    periodically?
    > > I've poked around quite a bit, but I can't find a setting for

    it.

    > > Thankee.

    > Tools -> Account Settings -> <account name> -> Server Settings,

    "Check
    > for new messages every ___ minutes."

    I've got that set to ever "1" minutes. I also checked the box to
    download mail from the server. But it is not automatically fetching
    the mail. When I do it "by hand", it works fine. Any ideas?

    Jive Dadson, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Jive Dadson

    Doug G Guest

    Jive Dadson wrote:
    > "Doug G" <> wrote in message
    >> Jive Dadson wrote:
    >>> How does one configure Thunderbird to check for email
    >>> periodically? I've poked around quite a bit, but I can't find a
    >>> setting for it.
    >>>
    >>> Thankee.

    >> Tools -> Account Settings -> <account name> -> Server Settings,
    >> "Check for new messages every ___ minutes."

    > I've got that set to ever "1" minutes. I also checked the box to
    > download mail from the server. But it is not automatically fetching
    > the mail. When I do it "by hand", it works fine. Any ideas?

    Try changing it to every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes is the default.

    Doug G, Apr 26, 2005
  5. Jive Dadson

    Moz Champion Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Jive Dadson wrote:
    >
    >> "Doug G" <> wrote in message

    >>> Tools -> Account Settings -> <account name> -> Server Settings,
    >>> "Check for new messages every ___ minutes."

    >> I've got that set to ever "1" minutes. I also checked the box to
    >> download mail from the server. But it is not automatically fetching
    >> the mail. When I do it "by hand", it works fine. Any ideas?
    >>

    > Try changing it to every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes is the default.

    Setting mail checks to a low value is not recommended.
    If the second check is begun before the first check is completed, the
    program wont check anything at all
    for example, if you have messages in your mail box (on the server), and
    they take over a minute to download, the second check begins before the
    first is complete and computers dont do two things at the same time well
    <g> Appearances notwithstanding, most computers do one thing at a time,
    they simply are so quick and can switch back and forth so quickly that
    it appears they are doing multiple jobs at the same time.

    The messages will still be there on your server, so 5 minutes is fine
    for most people. If you are expecting an urgent email you can always
    use the manual get mail to check earlier.

    Since you most likely DONT answer an email the moment it is received
    anyway, why the rush to get it on your system? Set mail check time to 5
    minutes or more.

    Moz Champion, Apr 26, 2005
  6. Jive Dadson

    v3r5u5

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    answer

    In order for thunderbird to check your mail every one period of time you have to keep it running. This means that you must MINIMIZE not close thunderbird. I would not recommend it though since it utilizes plenty of memory.

    If you still want to do it there is a tool that can minimize thunderbird as a tray icon. http://sniperbeamer.de/tbtray/

    cheers
    Yiannis

    v3r5u5, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Jive Dadson

    OH OH

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I also found this information very useful and accurate.
    Thank you!

    OH OH, Oct 7, 2011