Thunderbird: change "from" header to something else?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by graeme@invalid, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. tools - account settings

    Willem van der Berg, Sep 2, 2004

  3. From Willem van der Berg on 02/Sep/2004 17:44:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have recently made the switch to Mandrake Linux 10, which unfortunately
    > means I will have to do without my favourite e-mail client The Bat! I've
    > tested several e-mail clients and concluded that there is no e-mail client
    > with the same features as my The Bat! However, Thunderbird comes
    > reasonably close.
    >
    > I was just wondering though: is it possible to change the "from" header
    > into anything I like? I have my own domainname with unlimited aliases and
    > I am finding it a great way to stop spam in it's track. Whenever I need to
    > signup for something, I give an alias and any mail sent to it is caught by
    > a catch all account. This makes it very easy to simply block all e-mail
    > from an alias when it is being abused for spam.
    >
    > Will Thunderbird allow me to fill in every email address I like in the
    > "from" field? If so, how... cos I can't find it.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Willem

    Yes it can, this was one of my requirements for switching from my -- now dated
    -- previous email/news tool Turnpike.

    You need to make sure that you have the latest version otherwise you have to
    edit one of the prefs files by hand.

    Go to Tools/Account Settings and select the appropriate account. You should see
    a button marked "Manage Identities". Here you can add all of your identities for
    that account.

    After this, when you are replying to an email or news post you can select the
    From address (identity) in a drop-down box. TB will try to pick the right one
    for you by choosing the identity matching the one the email was sent to. Sadly
    this is not as flexible as Turnpike which allowed the identities to be assigned
    to folders as well -- that works great for mailing lists, I'm always forgetting
    to change identities for these as the to address is not one of my identities but
    the mailing list so TB doesn't know which identity to use. Still we are only at
    version 0.7.3 so who knows what will appear in the future. Maybe someone will
    even write an extension to do this?

    Anyway, I digress, this should do what you want.

    --
    Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
    Sheffield, United Kingdom

    Julian Knight, Sep 2, 2004
  4. On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:46:49 +0100, Julian Knight wrote:
    > Anyway, I digress, this should do what you want.

    Thank you Julian, that was indeed what I was looking for. It is slightly
    less convenient than being able to type anything in the "from" header, but
    this will do nicely.

    Willem

    Willem van der Berg, Sep 2, 2004
  5. graeme@invalid

    mrbaseman

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    there is a really nice add-on called "virtual-identity"

    it lets you enter a new email address for the from field always when you reply to an email. It suggests the original To-Field or the address you were using the previous time when you have sent an email to that recipient.

    mrbaseman, Jan 25, 2011
  6. graeme@invalid

    Randy

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Ok, thanks. Just saw this, and it's working great.

    Randy, Jun 9, 2011