    executable file problem.

    Jim

    , Mar 8, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > Thunderbird locks up when I open it and try to download mail. Doesn't
    > seem to be a server problem because it gets as far as "downloading x
    > of x messages". No problem accessing mail from the web browser.
    >
    > If I uninstall and then reinstall the program, without moving the
    > folders to a safe place will they be deleted?
    >
    > Is there any repair utility in this program - can't find one if there
    > is? I suppose the problem is more likely a folder problem than an
    > executable file problem.
    >
    > Jim

    all your preferences, settings, mail, passwords, etc, are
    stored in an area called the TB profile. This profile is
    separete from the program. When you uninstall, all you're
    doing is removing the program, and the profile is NOT touched.

    As for your problem, don't uninstall. 95% of the time, that
    doesn't accomplish anything, except wasted time.

    Since you didn't mention what operating system you're on,
    all I can assume it windows, so the following instructions
    is for windows. If you're not using windows, then you will
    have to find out how to do it using your OS.

    Close TB. Then click on the windows start button, then run
    and enter:

    thunderbird.exe -safe-mode

    this will start TB in safe mode. Does the problem continue?

    Also, you didn't mention if this is an IMAP account or a
    POP3 one. If IMAP, then that might be the problem.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 8, 2008

  3. sticks Guest

    wrote:
    > Thunderbird locks up when I open it and try to download mail. Doesn't
    > seem to be a server problem because it gets as far as "downloading x
    > of x messages". No problem accessing mail from the web browser.

    Have you made sure you don't have one large email downloading?

    sticks, Mar 9, 2008
  4. Guest

    No it wasn't that. The problem did clear up later in the day.

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:27:35 -0500, sticks <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Thunderbird locks up when I open it and try to download mail. Doesn't
    >> seem to be a server problem because it gets as far as "downloading x
    >> of x messages". No problem accessing mail from the web browser.

    >Have you made sure you don't have one large email downloading?

    , Mar 10, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:35:08 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Thunderbird locks up when I open it and try to download mail. Doesn't
    >> seem to be a server problem because it gets as far as "downloading x
    >> of x messages". No problem accessing mail from the web browser.
    >>
    >> If I uninstall and then reinstall the program, without moving the
    >> folders to a safe place will they be deleted?
    >>
    >> Is there any repair utility in this program - can't find one if there
    >> is? I suppose the problem is more likely a folder problem than an
    >> executable file problem.
    >>
    >> Jim

    >all your preferences, settings, mail, passwords, etc, are
    >stored in an area called the TB profile. This profile is
    >separete from the program. When you uninstall, all you're
    >doing is removing the program, and the profile is NOT touched.
    >
    >As for your problem, don't uninstall. 95% of the time, that
    >doesn't accomplish anything, except wasted time.
    >
    >Since you didn't mention what operating system you're on,
    >all I can assume it windows, so the following instructions
    >is for windows. If you're not using windows, then you will
    >have to find out how to do it using your OS.
    >
    >Close TB. Then click on the windows start button, then run
    >and enter:
    >
    >thunderbird.exe -safe-mode
    >
    >this will start TB in safe mode. Does the problem continue?
    >
    >Also, you didn't mention if this is an IMAP account or a
    >POP3 one. If IMAP, then that might be the problem.

    It's a POP server, Comcast. The problem did clear up later in the day
    has not recurred, so I didn't uninstall. Perhaps the probem was
    Comcast's, although there was no problem with browser access to the
    mail.

    , Mar 10, 2008
  6. wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:35:08 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> Thunderbird locks up when I open it and try to download mail. Doesn't
    >>> seem to be a server problem because it gets as far as "downloading x
    >>> of x messages". No problem accessing mail from the web browser.
    >>>
    >>> If I uninstall and then reinstall the program, without moving the
    >>> folders to a safe place will they be deleted?
    >>>
    >>> Is there any repair utility in this program - can't find one if there
    >>> is? I suppose the problem is more likely a folder problem than an
    >>> executable file problem.
    >>>
    >>> Jim

    >> all your preferences, settings, mail, passwords, etc, are
    >> stored in an area called the TB profile. This profile is
    >> separete from the program. When you uninstall, all you're
    >> doing is removing the program, and the profile is NOT touched.
    >>
    >> As for your problem, don't uninstall. 95% of the time, that
    >> doesn't accomplish anything, except wasted time.
    >>
    >> Since you didn't mention what operating system you're on,
    >> all I can assume it windows, so the following instructions
    >> is for windows. If you're not using windows, then you will
    >> have to find out how to do it using your OS.
    >>
    >> Close TB. Then click on the windows start button, then run
    >> and enter:
    >>
    >> thunderbird.exe -safe-mode
    >>
    >> this will start TB in safe mode. Does the problem continue?
    >>
    >> Also, you didn't mention if this is an IMAP account or a
    >> POP3 one. If IMAP, then that might be the problem.

    > It's a POP server, Comcast. The problem did clear up later in the day
    > has not recurred, so I didn't uninstall. Perhaps the probem was
    > Comcast's, although there was no problem with browser access to the
    > mail.

    accessing the mail with TB and accessing it from the web
    with your browser are two different things. As you said, it
    could have been a glitch with the comcasts pop server.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 10, 2008