    simple as backing up my profile folder ???

    Seems to good to be true if so - and a very welcome breath of fresh air
    after years of using Outlawed Excuse!

    Tx2, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Tx2

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth Tx2 <> in
    news::

    > Is backing up my Thunderbird preferences, settings, and all my
    > email as simple as backing up my profile folder ???

    Yup. Great, ain't it! I believe that all Tbird extensions are stored
    there, too, so you're backing them up as well.

    > Seems to good to be true if so - and a very welcome breath of
    > fresh air after years of using Outlawed Excuse!

    I came to Thunderbird from Pegasus, so I only ever needed to back up
    my Mail folder.

    --
    George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
    Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

    Tom Betz, Dec 17, 2004

  3. Tx2

    Z Guest

    Tx2 wrote:
    > Is backing up my Thunderbird preferences, settings, and all my email as
    > simple as backing up my profile folder ???

    Depends.

    Did you move your e-mail off the C: drive so that, if you have to
    reformat and reinstall Windows (not uncommon) you won't lose all your
    e-mail folders and messages?

    If so, then it's not that simple since your \Mail will no longer be
    under \Profiles (assuming you chose the default installation settings
    which puts \Profiles under C:\Windows\Application Data\Thunderbird).

    Z, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Tx2

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth Z <> in news:0OLwd.9286$:

    > Tx2 wrote:
    >> Is backing up my Thunderbird preferences, settings, and all my
    >> email as simple as backing up my profile folder ???

    > Depends.
    >
    > Did you move your e-mail off the C: drive so that, if you have
    > to reformat and reinstall Windows (not uncommon) you won't lose
    > all your e-mail folders and messages?

    When I install Thunderbird, the whole profile is on a separate drive
    from the system drive. At work, where I'm testing it for general
    deployment, the profile lives on the user's home LAN share.

    Tom Betz, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Tx2

    Tx2 Guest

    In article <0OLwd.9286$>, , a.k.a Z says...

    > Tx2 wrote:
    > > Is backing up my Thunderbird preferences, settings, and all my email as
    > > simple as backing up my profile folder ???

    > Depends.
    >
    > Did you move your e-mail off the C: drive so that, if you have to
    > reformat and reinstall Windows (not uncommon) you won't lose all your
    > e-mail folders and messages?

    Of course, i recognise that their can be a profile folder, and a
    separate mail folder ; i in actual fact had this config when first
    installing T-Bird. I have since moved back to default.

    i regularly back-up the profile folder utilising Second Copy 2000, so if
    i do have to re-install, I just 'pop' the folder back in the default
    location where the program expects to find it.

    Having previously moved the profile to within My Documents on the first
    install, I found there was some additional configuration required when
    re-installing, such as telling T-Bird where all the files were. Leaving
    it at default, as they were backed up, seemed the preferred option.

    Tx2, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Salut à toi *Tx2*, tu nous disais ce vendredi 17/12/2004 dans
    <news:> vers 21:15:30 ce
    qui suit :

    > Is backing up my Thunderbird preferences, settings, and all my email as
    > simple as backing up my profile folder ???
    >
    > Seems to good to be true if so - and a very welcome breath of fresh air
    > after years of using Outlawed Excuse!

    Use *MozBackup* which will help you to backup either Mozilla, FireFox
    or Thunderbird ..... Google is your friend ;)

    --
    L'erreur est de croire qu'on est seul devant ses problèmes !
    Utilisez Firefox - Thunderbird - MesNews .... le tiercé gagnant ;) ICQ#

    Michel Doucet, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Tx2

    Tx2 Guest

    In article <>, , a.k.a
    Michel Doucet says...

    > Use *MozBackup* which will help you to backup either Mozilla, FireFox
    > or Thunderbird ..... Google is your friend

    Google "did you mean MSbackup" - doh!

    Found "MozBackup" now, thanks. I don't personally need it as I have a
    solution in place, but it will be useful for me to pass on, I'm sure.

    Tx2, Dec 18, 2004